Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Fraud???

Ndawg12

I love playing with frauds. But what happens if you decide to play around with these people and they turn out to be legit??? Nada is 38k with abosutely no options, I'm 90% sure this is a scam and I would like to play the game with this guy and document it on here but I need everyone's opinion on whether you think it's a scam or not first. Here's how it's starting out:

His response to me:

Sorry for the delay in my response, I`ve been very busy for the last couple of days. I'm the first and the only owner of the boat, bought it new with cash, so it comes with a clear title.The boat has been very well maintained and serviced, so you will find no damages or repairs to the engine or to the hull. The engine has only 81 hours and the boat has been used ONLY in fresh water.Also, the asking price includes the trailer and the covers.

You can find more pictures here:

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu7/06mastercraftx45/

The problem is that I am currently out if state with some business. We own a small family restaurant in Bremerton WA and me and my wife are needed here. In order to complete the deal I will have to fly back home, so let me know if you are serious about it.

Thanks,

John Rozenboom

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ndawg12

• areamike

• John.Rozenboom

• Bobby Light

I love playing with frauds. But what happens if you decide to play around with these people and they turn out to be legit??? Nada is 38k with abosutely no options, I'm 90% sure this is a scam and I would like to play the game with this guy and document it on here but I need everyone's opinion on whether you think it's a scam or not first. Here's how it's starting out:

His response to me:

Sorry for the delay in my response, I`ve been very busy for the last couple of days. I'm the first and the only owner of the boat, bought it new with cash, so it comes with a clear title.The boat has been very well maintained and serviced, so you will find no damages or repairs to the engine or to the hull. The engine has only 81 hours and the boat has been used ONLY in fresh water.Also, the asking price includes the trailer and the covers.

You can find more pictures here:

http://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu7/06mastercraftx45/

The problem is that I am currently out if state with some business. We own a small family restaurant in Bremerton WA and me and my wife are needed here. In order to complete the deal I will have to fly back home, so let me know if you are serious about it.

Thanks,

John Rozenboom

Well, it is hard to say. Everything he has said is possible. You could get the hull ID off of him and call MC to see if they will give you the name of the first owner. But I don't see any reason to suspect he is lying, I had trouble selling a car this year because I was always at the lake and kept the carr in town a couple hours away.

Ask him for a photo copy of the title. I'm from the Bremerton area originally so it is a real place but have a very hard time believing any restaurant there is paying him enough to leave town. He doesn't have broken english or bad grammar so I can see where you'd be wondering if he's legit.

Maybe he's hard up for money, maybe it's about to be repo'd so he's trying to get rid of it. Where is it located.

Ask him for a photo copy of the title. I'm from the Bremerton area originally so it is a real place but have a very hard time believing any restaurant there is paying him enough to leave town. He doesn't have broken english or bad grammar so I can see where you'd be wondering if he's legit.

Maybe he's hard up for money, maybe it's about to be repo'd so he's trying to get rid of it. Where is it located.

If I remember right it's somewhere in Georgia. If it is legit anybody want to buy an '06 Vride for $28K ?? :)

I am going to ask him if I can get the hull ID and when is the soonest I could see it.

Edit- I don't want to scare him off, I'll wait on the hull ID.

Edit- The Boattrader ad has been removed.

Edited by nemire12

Just a thought. Most of the scams that I seem to see are on Craigslist. Doesn't it cost money to advertise on Boat Trader? Doubt too many scam artists are will to spend money to advertise.

If he paid cash for the boat then there would be no lean, so the repo idea is out (assuming he didn't borrow against it later down the road). I agree with the fact that the listing was not on Craigslist and the guy has good grammar, also there is not mention of money orders or out of country bank transfers, so this might be legit. He may just need the money and value cash today vs. waiting until spring to get full price.

This just might be the deal of a life time. That is a darn nice looking boat. If you're really in the market for a new boat it might be worth your while to tie it up with a $200 good faith deposit to buy time to do the research you want.

Only real problem I see is that it is not a BU!

Edited by msuwaterski

Are you in the market for a boat or just wanting to jerk someone chain? If you’re messing with this guy and think he might be legit then I would say leave him alone and go play with someone who is more obviously a fraud. If I was trying to sell my boat and learned someone was out there playing with me I’d be rather pissed off.

I live in Port Orchard just south of Bremerton. I can check it out for you.

Cumminsbu, I don't think that will be neccessary but thanks for the offer.

msuwaterski, this thread may help you.

wmh, I've done this a few times, if I thought he was legit and I wasn't actually in the market for his boat, I would leave him alone. But as it stands he's only got a few minutes of time wrapped up in this and he knows no different.

But I think the following correspondence clears up the legitimacy question, game on!!

I wrote to him:

That’s no problem, I appreciate you getting back to me. I would definitely need more information before completing a deal. It looks like the boat might be at a dealership, is there some way I could see it this weekend. I think your ad stated it was located in Georgia, I’m actually in North Carolina so it could be a nice trip on Saturday if possible. Let me know

and he wrote back to me:

Unfortunately there is no one around to show you the boat because it`s locked in my garage and I left with the keys. Also, I don`t plan any special trip back home until Christmas Hollydays (unless I sell the boat of course). I suggest using a third party service like Google Checkout to complete the transaction. They will hold your funds until we can meet and finalize the deal.This way, you will be able to inspect the boat before any money reaches me and I, on the other hand, will know for sure that I have a serious buyer who has the money available .I am choosing this method because a few weeks ago I flew back home for someone interested. He told me he had cash to pay for the boat, but it turned out he applied for a loan which in the end WAS NOT APPROVED. I don`t want to repeat that experience, so please let me know what you think.

I live in Port Orchard just south of Bremerton. I can check it out for you.

Cumminsbu, I don't think that will be neccessary but thanks for the offer.

msuwaterski, this thread may help you.

wmh, I've done this a few times, if I thought he was legit and I wasn't actually in the market for his boat, I would leave him alone. But as it stands he's only got a few minutes of time wrapped up in this and he knows no different.

But I think the following correspondence clears up the legitimacy question, game on!!

I wrote to him:

That’s no problem, I appreciate you getting back to me. I would definitely need more information before completing a deal. It looks like the boat might be at a dealership, is there some way I could see it this weekend. I think your ad stated it was located in Georgia, I’m actually in North Carolina so it could be a nice trip on Saturday if possible. Let me know

and he wrote back to me:

Unfortunately there is no one around to show you the boat because it`s locked in my garage and I left with the keys. Also, I don`t plan any special trip back home until Christmas Hollydays (unless I sell the boat of course). I suggest using a third party service like Google Checkout to complete the transaction. They will hold your funds until we can meet and finalize the deal.This way, you will be able to inspect the boat before any money reaches me and I, on the other hand, will know for sure that I have a serious buyer who has the money available .I am choosing this method because a few weeks ago I flew back home for someone interested. He told me he had cash to pay for the boat, but it turned out he applied for a loan which in the end WAS NOT APPROVED. I don`t want to repeat that experience, so please let me know what you think.

OK so the red flags are now flying like a knee to the groin in a highschool soccer match. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise, and this guy has proven otherwise. That's too bad, one less good person in this world.

As for me, I would never buy a boat that I had not driven, skied behind, and combed through the engine first. I was suggesting the $200 good faith deposit in the event that he showed up and let you test drive the boat. Have fun with this guy!

OK so the red flags are now flying like a knee to the groin in a highschool soccer match. I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise, and this guy has proven otherwise. That's too bad, one less good person in this world.

Yeah, I used to but I got burnt on a much smaller scale about 6 years ago. I talked over the phone and email to a guy selling a $600 laptop on Amazon.com. We agreed to a price of $400. So I sent him the money via..........Western Union... :Doh: and never heard back from him. Now, unfortunately, I'm very skeptical in theses situations.

so it comes with a clear title

That is usually a clear indication of SCAM!

Also, a quick tip from Uncle Mike. NEVER EVER NEVER send ANY MONEY via WESTERN UNION. Unless you are sending it to a relative.

Edited by areamike

Also, a quick tip from Uncle Mike. NEVER EVER NEVER send ANY MONEY via WESTERN UNION. Unless you are sending it to a relative.

Plus1.gif

I know that now!! Apparently they don't require any ID or signature to pick up your money.

Update:

I wrote to him:

John,

It has been a while since I saw your ad on boattrader and now I can’t find it any more. Do you still have access to the ad, I have forgotten all the particulars for this boat. One important thing I would like to know is does it have built-in ballast. My boating crew (3 grandkids ) and I are really into surfing and I need a boat that has that ability but still has a nice ride for cruising, I’m hoping a bigger boat like this could afford me both of these. I would appreciate more specific information on the ballast configuration such as sizes and locations of all the tanks. Also I am very interested in this boat but I need to research all the specs to make sure it is what I want. Do I need to give you anything to hold this boat for me to give me time to research it?

And he responded:

Hi Nate,

The boat has 3 built in ballast tanks up to 1000 lbs. Options include: transom shower, 4 pack of tower speakers, tower lights, bimini, heater, matching fiberglass platform and 2 covers.I do not need an down payment for the boat. Just let me know when you decide.

John

I think I'm going to ask for the hull ID next.

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry to report that John Rosenboom is a fraud ... don't waste your time and certainly don't send him any money. He's also selling a 2006 Boston Whaler Conquest w/ 68 hrs for half what the boat should be selling for. I replied to his boattrader.com add and received the exact same response as the one posted above.

If it's too good to be true ... It probably is.

CB

Shame. Someone call Boattrader and tell them if you know for sure. Or someone get a hull id. Bet that will not happen though.

Yeah, it is a shame, I couldn't even imagine sending this guy 28k and then...poof...he's gone and my money is gone. Like I said earlier I have reported these people and boattrader took care of it but this guy has removed the ad that I'm referring to. CB might want to call about his though.

Thanks Uncle Mike! Your words of wisdom will help me to become a responsible adult someday. Can we go for ice cream now? Biggrin.gif

Thanks Uncle Mike! Your words of wisdom will help me to become a responsible adult someday. Can we go for ice cream now? Biggrin.gif

Yeah, thanks Mike, hey we're all family here right??!! How about some one loan me a couple grand so I can do my ballast install. Send it to the Charlotte, NC Western Union location and tell them it's for me...Muhamed Rocjihmon!! :)

Yeah, thanks Mike, hey we're all family here right??!! How about some one loan me a couple grand so I can do my ballast install. Send it to the Charlotte, NC Western Union location and tell them it's for me...Muhamed Rocjihmon!! :)

Hey, Prince Rocjihmon! Why haven't you responded to my last 13 emails? You did get my account info, right?

Hey, Prince Rocjihmon! Why haven't you responded to my last 13 emails? You did get my account info, right?

chirp, chirp chirp......... Dontknow.gif

You've got to be kidding me, check this out, I just got this email from someone wanting to buy a PS2 from me on CL. Not sure how this could be a fraud but I'm definitely leary, these people are everywhere!!!

Thanks for your reply

I am located in Remsenburg city

in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have been trying to buy this for a very long time and its been very stressful buying this., I will offer you $110 so as to close other bids as soon as possible.I will be paying through PAYPAL because i have a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back with your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my personal fedex account,so you dont have to pay for shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see more pictures please.

Thanks

Mrs Diana

You've got to be kidding me, check this out, I just got this email from someone wanting to buy a PS2 from me on CL. Not sure how this could be a fraud but I'm definitely leary, these people are everywhere!!!

Thanks for your reply

I am located in Remsenburg city

in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have been trying to buy this for a very long time and its been very stressful buying this., I will offer you $110 so as to close other bids as soon as possible.I will be paying through PAYPAL because i have a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back with your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my personal fedex account,so you dont have to pay for shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see more pictures please.

Thanks

Mrs Diana

yeah, that has scam written all over it