Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sharkskin cover

Jimmy Buffett

I need a new cover. Would like the Rankin, but don't ever tow with the cover on and with a 6 week old baby I don't want to spend $1k on the boat right now. I'm looking at the Westland Sharkskin cover from Overtons. Just under $300. If it lasts me 3-4 years I'll be happy. Anybody use one of these? How's the waterproofing? Thanks!

We found a local canvas shop who quoted $700 for a custom Sunbrella cover. The CFO OK'd it, so I'm taking it in Friday. It's a good bit more money, but I want the breathability of the fabric plus I like the idea of getting a custom cover with reinforcement where I need it. And their custom price is the same as the dealer price for a factory cover.

I have a sharkskin. It actually has done pretty well when I have used it for towing. One 6 hour trip. The padding on the underside for the windshield got a little rubbed, but the cover is good and tight. As for the waterproofing, it's not 100%. I threw the cover over it one evening in a parking lot and we got a good rain and water pooled on top of the cover. Some dripped through. It does better if you use poles to keep the water drained off.

• 4 weeks later...

I went for a custom Sunbrella cover for a few reasons:

Sunbrella breathes well

Sunbrella does not fade easily.

Sunbrella has good long term water repellancy

Sunbrella wears like iron(Sharkskin cover on pontoon boat lasted 5 years)

Lots of colors(like 80 or so)

I had the cover customized so it is a waterline cover.... skirts all around it(no sun fading on back or sides of boat).

I got mine at skiboatcovers.com $700 and it was at my door 4 days after I ordered it.

Edited by DNA'er