Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'Bu Won't Start. Help!

So I tried to go out for an evening cruise tonight and the 'Bu wouldn't start. I turned over very well, but would not start. After a couple of tries, I realized that everything in the boat works correctly except that none of the gages work. The gages light, but no data is in any of them. Sounds like some sort of computer issue...fuse, connection, or blown computer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose the issue, where the computer is, etc.? I have a 2006 Sunscape with the Monsoon engine.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kill switch?

Checked it. Made no difference to display or engine start. (Boy I would have felt dumb if that was it :unsure: ) ...but I sure wish it were the reason.

Computer is on the 'rear' of the engine, away from your belts, etc. There is a resettable fuse there...maybe that has tripped. It's a red button with (probably) 50 AMPS written somewhere on it. I don't think the starter runs through that breaker, so if it tripped, that may be in line with the problems you described.

Computer is on the 'rear' of the engine, away from your belts, etc. There is a resettable fuse there...maybe that has tripped. It's a red button with (probably) 50 AMPS written somewhere on it. I don't think the starter runs through that breaker, so if it tripped, that may be in line with the problems you described.

That was harder to find than I thought it would be without looking at it from the side. It was a red 35A button. I could not push it to reset. It down move slightly, but I don't think it was tripped.

Sounds like it wasn't tripped.

If it were me, my next thought would be your cannon plug. It's the connection where the engine wiring from Indmar meets Malibu's wiring to the boat. Follow the wiring harness from the engine till you see it. It is usually secured with a hose clamp. Disconnect and reconnect that plug and see if you have data to your guages. Mark the plug with some sort of index mark, as they can go back together incorrectly. Clean out all the silicon looking crap in there (I think it a dielectric compound), and use a small screw driver to SLIGHTLY bend the males pins and then reconnect.

The lack of data to the guages may indicate this is potentially your problem.

Someone posted that they moved the wires on the kill switch to the other two poles that are closed when the switch is out (an easy test). Another post refered to an insect nest in the switch breaking continuity even though the switch button was depressed.

Yes - No gauges & engine turning over, but not starting, are the classic tells of a kill switch issue.

Try pushing in the button in/out with your finger a few times to clear any debris/spiders in there, then hold in with your finger & try to start.

Next step would be to bypass the switch with a short piece of wire or swap the wires to the other two terminals.

Yes - No gauges & engine turning over, but not starting, are the classic tells of a kill switch issue.

Try pushing in the button in/out with your finger a few times to clear any debris/spiders in there, then hold in with your finger & try to start.

Next step would be to bypass the switch with a short piece of wire or swap the wires to the other two terminals.

Pushed the kill switch in and out a few times and it came to life!!!! Thanks for the help!! This made my day!!!

A key thing to check and listen for is the beeping noise when you turn the key on.

If it beeps loudly, you'll see and hear all the displays whurring and buzzin and spinning up. This is what you want to hear.

If not, jiggle the lanyard at the kill switch until it does.

I had this problem too a couple years back, had the switch replaced, and it's still flaky but now I know what to watch for! :-)

Edited by Team Newsom