Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

To anti-freeze or not to anti-freeze

WakingMeHappy

For those who have read it I have a question about Pistol Pete’s winterization document (I know he didn’t write it). It’s all clear and looks pretty easy on how to do everything. I figure it will take 1.5 hours at most and plan on knocking it out this Saturday.

What it doesn’t say anything about it adding anti-freeze. Should I just leave everything unplugged and apart for winter (which means no anti-freeze)? I store my boat outside and covered but all those opening would still be exposed to the air.

Would it be better to put everything back together (drain plugs and hoses) and run the engine sucking a couple of gallons of anti-freeze through the fresh water intake until I see it coming out the exhaust? If I did that, summarizing would be a snap…charge the battery, drop the boat in the lake and start it up.

For those who have read it I have a question about Pistol Pete’s winterization document (I know he didn’t write it). It’s all clear and looks pretty easy on how to do everything. I figure it will take 1.5 hours at most and plan on knocking it out this Saturday.

What it doesn’t say anything about it adding anti-freeze. Should I just leave everything unplugged and apart for winter (which means no anti-freeze)? I store my boat outside and covered but all those opening would still be exposed to the air.

Would it be better to put everything back together (drain plugs and hoses) and run the engine sucking a couple of gallons of anti-freeze through the fresh water intake until I see it coming out the exhaust? If I did that, summarizing would be a snap…charge the battery, drop the boat in the lake and start it up.

I followed the guide pretty closely but I put everything back together when I was done, I am not sure why it recommends leaving everything unplugged but that made no sense to me. No anti-freeze in my engine.

As far as risking a cracked block or freezing damage I don't see it happening. If there is a tiny bit of water left in the engine there is more than enough room for it to expand when frozen.

If you are referring to running it through until it is in the exhaust to prevent freezing there - I am unsure - I have never heard of exhaust pipes freezing? Now tat I think of it there is probably quite a bit of water in the exhaust :unsure: .

Some people like to run anti-freeze to prevent corrosion. I have no comment on this. But I have boats from the 70's that have never had it in them.... not sure why this engine would corrode.

In the end it is your boat. If you feel more comfortable running anti-freeze through it than do it. Just get the right stuff.

If you use anti-freeze...flush the engine in the spring before you launch. Don't dump all of that toxic crap in the lake. Fingerwag.gif

Years ago I watched a guy get a ticket for "Attempted Dumping Of Toxic Waste" at Englebright. The guy pulls down to the launch and just his bad luck (or Karma) the Sheriff Lake Patrol was launching at the same time (3 lane ramp). Once he got turned around and backing towards the water anti-freeze starts running out of his exhaust ports. The Sheriff stopped him from launching, asked him a few questions, cited him, and denied him access to the lake. Clap.gif

If you use anti-freeze...flush the engine in the spring before you launch. Don't dump all of that toxic crap in the lake. Fingerwag.gif

That's OK, I was going to launch in a crappy lake anyway. :lol:

Seriously, that's a good point. I would definitely crank it up in the driveway for the first time.

I have used Pink Non-Toxic Antifreeze in my boats for 15 years. In Vermont it gets pretty cold so I always like that extra insurance

If you run the antifreeze out of your boat in your driveway, its just gonna run down your storm drain and into the nearest lake...

I guess you could make a catch basin out of an old bath tub or something to catch the antifreeze then dispose of it ??

JMO

Although this has been beaten like a dead horse, Indmar never says anything about Antifreeze in their Winterization guide. They also say leave all plugs out during winter, put them in a baggie and tape them to the steering wheel. If anything goes wrong with that practice, you can always blame Indmar Whistling.gif

The pink RV antifreeze you should use in non toxic.....

Does it have to be pink? Nothing pink goes in my boat Whistling.gif

Must get lonely on your boat. I accept all the "pink" that will join me! Biggrin.gif

Antifreeze is cheap insurance IMHO. Any water trapped in the engine equals catastrophic failure in freezing winter temps. It's just not worth the risk when it only takes another 5 minutes to fill the block with antifreeze via the raw water intake hose and a bucket. I drain the block in the spring and let the antifreeze drain from the bilge back into the antifreeze bottle so I can reuse it the next year. Clap.gif Then just crank it up in the driveway and catch the first couple gallons that come out the exhaust and your good to go. Thumbup.gif

Must get lonely on your boat. I accept all the "pink" that will join me! Biggrin.gif

Especially if it's pink camo.

Leopard print makes a good spottter too.

I was talking about maintenance fluids, since when is pink a synonym for women, I just don't get it Fingerwag.gif

The site is slow today so in a related issue, have you all seen that commercial where the guys walk into a room expecting a party, and they say "ah it's a sausage fest!" And it really is a bunch of German's making sausage. Probably a beer commercial but can't remember as I was laughing too hard!!!!

Sorry, back to the antifreeze issue.

I was talking about maintenance fluids, since when is pink a synonym for women, I just don't get it Fingerwag.gif

The site is slow today so in a related issue, have you all seen that commercial where the guys walk into a room expecting a party, and they say "ah it's a sausage fest!" And it really is a bunch of German's making sausage. Probably a beer commercial but can't remember as I was laughing too hard!!!!

Wait 'till you have a daughter. Pink = female. Maybe a little purple too.

I did see that commercial, good one. I wanted to bring trick skis on a wakeboard weekend and got accused of starting a sausage fest.

Hate to veer off topic, but I was thinking of antifreeze. I have never used it in a boat in the past, never had a problem. Drain thoroughly.

Wait 'till you have a daughter. Pink = female. Maybe a little purple too.

I did see that commercial, good one. I wanted to bring trick skis on a wakeboard weekend and got accused of starting a sausage fest.

Hate to veer off topic, but I was thinking of antifreeze. I have never used it in a boat in the past, never had a problem. Drain thoroughly.

I think my daughter is on the way in May and she will be locked in a closet until she's 30!!!

I view the antifreeze issue just like other issues such as fogging through cylinders or intake, fiberglass or teak, Bullet or Wetsounds, and any other issues we can't get a majority to agree on, to each there own. I might try it, seems simple and an added peice of mind even if unnecessary.

Antifreeze is cheap insurance IMHO. Any water trapped in the engine equals catastrophic failure in freezing winter temps. It's just not worth the risk when it only takes another 5 minutes to fill the block with antifreeze via the raw water intake hose and a bucket. I drain the block in the spring and let the antifreeze drain from the bilge back into the antifreeze bottle so I can reuse it the next year. Clap.gif Then just crank it up in the driveway and catch the first couple gallons that come out the exhaust and your good to go. Thumbup.gif

I agree, however, any water trapped in the engine after draining the block and manifolds will be minimal at best and should pose no real harm.

Personally, I run the non-Toxic Antifreeze through the motor after I have drained the block and manifolds and then I take out the plugs again, drain antifreeze from block and manifolds leaving only residual amount of AF in there. I have seen Antifreeze become slushy over the winter while just sitting in my shed...that's enough for me to not leave my motor full of ANY Liquids.

I use and have used the pink from 96 my first inboard. I leave it in it acts as an anti corrosion and I like the gaskets and seals to be in a fluid so no they don't dry up or crack no rusting.

I use and have used the pink from 96 my first inboard. I leave it in it acts as an anti corrosion and I like the gaskets and seals to be in a fluid so no they don't dry up or crack no rusting.

Plus1.gif I drained the antifreeze before lay up last year and wasn't really thrilled with how rusty the thermostat housing was when I re-installed the T-stat this spring. I'm going to leave it full this winter. Thumbup.gif

Comment and questions.

I have "left the pink in" when winterizing for the last 5 years for the corrosion protection on my 92 sunsetter that had a flush pro when I got it (former owner used in brakish water). Always ran it up to temp with water, switched hoses to the antifreeze and ran 3-4 gallons through till plenty of pink out the exhaust. Seemed to work well, but I have stored in a cave so chances of freezing are only during transport.

This year is my first with an 02 sunscape. It came from the dealer/broker last year with anti-freeze in the block. It doesn't have a flush pro. I tried to do the same process last weekend with a fake-a-lake (running it up to temp, pouring the pink into a funnel well above the engine with a hose down to the fake-a-lake). The take rate through funnel was erratic, only saw a little pink out the exhaust after 4 gallons, some leaked out at fake-a-lake, wasn't sure if it really got in block. So I changed direction and did the Indmar recommended plug and hose removals.....solid pink out the manifold. Pure clear water out of the block.....would have been really bad if it had been below freezing.

Questions:

Pink way: Anybody do pink through a fake-a-lake successfully Or what is the recommended way to put anti-freeze in w/o a flush-pro? I read about pulling the hose off the raw water intake and pouring in, but would like to hear from someone who has done on v-drive or see pics.

Open plug/hose removal way: How low of a temp is this method good for? Would like to hear from someone in the northern states that has done this successfully through the hard freezes of winter.

Questions:

Pink way: Anybody do pink through a fake-a-lake successfully Or what is the recommended way to put anti-freeze in w/o a flush-pro? I read about pulling the hose off the raw water intake and pouring in, but would like to hear from someone who has done on v-drive or see pics.

Open plug/hose removal way: How low of a temp is this method good for? Would like to hear from someone in the northern states that has done this successfully through the hard freezes of winter.

You sure you hooking up your fake-a-lake the right way?

I undo the hose that goes from the raw-water pump to the hull. I undo it at hull side. You should have two clamps there. I then take that hose and put it in a bedpan I have sitting in my bilge. I fill the bedpan with Pick stuff or similar and start the motor. It sucks it out just fine. I continue to add pink stuff as the level goes down until I see it exiting the exhaust.

err..just saw you mentioned v-drive..I'm OUT! Crazy.gif

Comment and questions.

I have "left the pink in" when winterizing for the last 5 years for the corrosion protection on my 92 sunsetter that had a flush pro when I got it (former owner used in brakish water). Always ran it up to temp with water, switched hoses to the antifreeze and ran 3-4 gallons through till plenty of pink out the exhaust. Seemed to work well, but I have stored in a cave so chances of freezing are only during transport.

This year is my first with an 02 sunscape. It came from the dealer/broker last year with anti-freeze in the block. It doesn't have a flush pro. I tried to do the same process last weekend with a fake-a-lake (running it up to temp, pouring the pink into a funnel well above the engine with a hose down to the fake-a-lake). The take rate through funnel was erratic, only saw a little pink out the exhaust after 4 gallons, some leaked out at fake-a-lake, wasn't sure if it really got in block. So I changed direction and did the Indmar recommended plug and hose removals.....solid pink out the manifold. Pure clear water out of the block.....would have been really bad if it had been below freezing.

Questions:

I disconnect the hose between the two exhaust manifolds and let the water drain out. I then remove the drain plug on either side of the engine and let the water drain out. I remove the raw water hose from the port side of the v-drive. Water then drains from the v-drive (not much in there). I then start the engine and pour 3 gallons of AF into the hose (goes directly to the impeller). This is exactly how my dealer has done it on v-drives for years and never had any issues in MI winters (gets as cold as -15F sometimes). I did it this way both last year and this year (only had the boat for 2 years!), and it was fine last year. It was stored in a garage in northern MI with no heat and barely any insulation, so I'm sure the boat experienced at least -10F if not colder.

The trick with running it through the engine with the water is to have the engine reach the temp to open the thermostat (160). Otherwise the antifreeze bypasses the block and goes into the manifolds.

This subject has been beaten to death in the last few weeks, and being a newbie to the process, I did my share of beating! I followed a lot of the processes in Pete's document and then after draining the block, I removed the thermostat housing and ran the garden hose through the manifold and trans cooler hose and flushed out all the crud. Then after everything stopped dripping, I put the plugs back in and with a small funnel I poured blue AF into the manifold hoses, cooler hose and down the thermostat opening in the block. I used a full gallon between all the areas and then I cracked open the drain plugs to make sure that AF was seeping out on my fingers. I then put rags in the ends of the hoses and over the open thermostat hole and tucked it away for the winter.

I know it is going to cost me a thermostat gasket each year, big whoop $5, but I like the piece of mind that I don't have a pocket of water somewhere ready to cause a big problem.

In the spring I will pull the plugs and let the AF drain into a small container and button everything back up.