Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

skylon tuna tower

cgregory

I recently bought a used 01 sunsetter lxi with a skylon tuna tower. I have a few of questions: 1.) it squeaks and rattles alot while out on the lake. 2.) Due to the end of season and not having a boat lift installed in the dock yet we garaged the boat. The issue is we had to remove the tower because no matter what bolts I loosened it would not fold down to get into the garage. 3.) The tower and the bimini top both hit the window frame when trying to lay down. I removed the bimini top but would like to be able to lay the tower down without having to take so much of it off.

I did notice that the bolts and joints were extremely dry so I am wondering if a little thread grease would help with folding down and help eliminate the squeaking on the lake.

I recently bought a used 01 sunsetter lxi with a skylon tuna tower. I have a few of questions: 1.) it squeaks and rattles alot while out on the lake. 2.) Due to the end of season and not having a boat lift installed in the dock yet we garaged the boat. The issue is we had to remove the tower because no matter what bolts I loosened it would not fold down to get into the garage. 3.) The tower and the bimini top both hit the window frame when trying to lay down. I removed the bimini top but would like to be able to lay the tower down without having to take so much of it off.

I did notice that the bolts and joints were extremely dry so I am wondering if a little thread grease would help with folding down and help eliminate the squeaking on the lake.

I'm not sure that thread grease would help with it laying down enough to get in the garage, or if that was meant to say that it was just crusty feeling when you laid it down? To help with the squeaks, you can go through the tower & tighten everything up, using some Loctite would be a good idea. Using some Boeshield wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As far as getting it in the garage, it may be possible to modify the tower enough to accommodate that. A local welder may be able to make joints in the legs at the right spot. But.....that may introduce more flexibility into the frame than it already has, & as the others have stated it's not an ideal design. If your budget allows, I would also recommend a Titan. If not, maybe start a tower savings fund for it.

One more thing.....congratulations on the purchase. That's a great boat.

I had the Tuna Tower on my 01 and finally got tired of fighting it and swapped it out for and IllusionX or whatever model they put on the older hulls.

I used graphite powder and always left a large T-handle allen wrench in the cupholder on the dash when I had the Tuna on there. I'd be tempted to start over with a Titan if I were you. I think it is a pain to get ahold of an Illusion now anyways.

Congrats on the new boat too! Thumbup.gif I just dropped mine off at the shop for winterizing this morning and I had to brag to my mechanic friend that the boat performed like a champ all season and had no problems! -Charlie

Do yourself a favor & replace it. Your almost 1/2 way now.

True that... I had the same tower and replaced it with the Titan II and have never looked back, definately one of my better investments. I don't have a before but here's a after, if you look closely you can see the 10" x 10" patch in the cover where the rear leg use to be. Good luck in whatever you decide.

BoatDeerWaterskirackpics002-1-1.jpg

Did you have to fill in the gelcoat where the old Tuna Tower mounts were?

Thanks,

Claude

I had the Tuna Tower on my 01 and finally got tired of fighting it and swapped it out for and IllusionX or whatever model they put on the older hulls.

I used graphite powder and always left a large T-handle allen wrench in the cupholder on the dash when I had the Tuna on there. I'd be tempted to start over with a Titan if I were you. I think it is a pain to get ahold of an Illusion now anyways.

Congrats on the new boat too! Thumbup.gif I just dropped mine off at the shop for winterizing this morning and I had to brag to my mechanic friend that the boat performed like a champ all season and had no problems! -Charlie

Did you have to fill in the gelcoat where the old Tuna Tower mounts were?

Thanks,

Claude

I am curious as well as what is involved? I too have the Skylon, but seems to be ok but I love the look of the Titan. thanks

Yes you do ... There is two different tuna towers, one of them the rear legs attach just below the side windows (which I had), the other I believe attach to the top of the gunwhales... I had to do the front of mine because it was a different hole pattern, and the rear is pretty self explanitory. I traded my existing tuna tower with some p.o.s speakers and racks on it for the fiberglass work. The company that did it is the same company Bake's marine does business with so it worked out great for me.