Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

another winterizing question

the1fordirt

I would like to know the pro and cons of what I have been doing to winterize mainly the cons!

I hook up water to the boat get it up to running temp shut it off pull the plugs out take off the belts start up the engine to blow out the water in the exhaust shut it off drain the gas done.

I change my oil at the beggining of season

A little bit in my defense I live in So California and boat is garaged

If you live in SoCal why are you winterizing your boat Dontknow.gif

I would pull the battery. You might also want to put some Stabil in the gas and run in through on your last outing so the gas in the lines and carb won't gum up on you while she sits.

I always change the oil at the end of the season after running the boat. I would never store with dirty oil it will settle and the sediment will settle on the bottom of the oil pan.

Look up into the transmission cooler to see if there is any weeds or impellor parts in the screen. Depending on the number of hours you may want to change the fuel filter and transmission oil. You may want to change the impellor depending on the number of hours on the boat. Duct tape over the exhaust pipes/flaps to keep out the rodents. Open up all the compartments/seat cushins to increase ventilation. Turn the steering wheel to one direction (grease of cable not exposed to the elements. Jack up the boat and set on trailer stands to get the weight off the tires

Look up into the transmission cooler to see if there is any weeds or impellor parts in the screen. Depending on the number of hours you may want to change the fuel filter and transmission oil. You may want to change the impellor depending on the number of hours on the boat. Duct tape over the exhaust pipes/flaps to keep out the rodents. Open up all the compartments/seat cushins to increase ventilation. Turn the steering wheel to one direction (grease of cable not exposed to the elements. Jack up the boat and set on trailer stands to get the weight off the tires

I have been doing preventive maintenance at the begging of season but sold on changing oil at the end going to go with stabilizer also and I do take the weight off the tires disconnect the battery and disconnect the lower hoses I replaced the water pump a couple year a go and carry a spare pump I am going to lube both at the end of season SEASON NOT OVER YET one more time

Thumbup.gif

If boat is stored inside on concrete do you think you need to jack it up? To change the pressure point I move it forward and back a few times a year.

No need to "winterize" if you are storing it inside. I fill my gas tank to the rim to prevent condensation build up and add stabilizer. Pull the battery. I change the oil at the beginning of the season to start on fresh oil.

I would like to know the pro and cons of what I have been doing to winterize mainly the cons!

I hook up water to the boat get it up to running temp shut it off pull the plugs out take off the belts start up the engine to blow out the water in the exhaust shut it off drain the gas done.

I change my oil at the beggining of season

A little bit in my defense I live in So California and boat is garaged

Allways a good idea to change oil before you store it, Something about the acids in the old oil can eat cam and crank bearings,