Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sad Day

nemalibu

Took her for the final ride for the season and pulled her out yesterday.

Today I changed the fluids, acid washed the bottom, and brought her to the marina for winterizing.

Once I get her back I remove the batteries, clean her up a bit more inside (the marina never keeps the inside as clean as I want), put her into a garage (with the cover on), block the trailer, and start to count the days until next season.

I have winter hobbies as well but you all know that nothing compares with days spent out on the BU - slalom, wakeboarding, just spending time on the water with family and friends.

Mine go's in this Friday for the winterize, Just a thought, it is going to dip into the high 20s tonight, would that be enough to cause some freez damage? Its in storage and compleatly enclosed, no power to put drop lite it engine compartment..

Mine came out today. Engine fogged, oil changed, block drained. I still need to clean the bottom, take the battery out, shoot some fogging oil into the plugs and put the winter cover on. I save the major cleanup for the spring because the boat stays outside and gets a little dirty even with the winter cover on it.

Mine go's in this Friday for the winterize, Just a thought, it is going to dip into the high 20s tonight, would that be enough to cause some freez damage? Its in storage and compleatly enclosed, no power to put drop lite it engine compartment..

You'll be fine.

You'll be fine.

I would not chance it. Only takes a few minutes to remove the block drain plugs and undo the manifold hose so at least the water drains. If you have a heater, undo it's hose from the water pump and blow it out with your mouth. Those heater cores can freeze and bust pretty easily.

Few minutes versus a cracked block? Sure would suck if it were the latter. Whistling.gif

High 20's for a few hours overnight won't hurt anything, been there numerous times. Takes a couple days of mid-20's to become an issue. However areamike is right, only takes a bit to drain everything if you're at all worried about it. Agreed I would drain and blow out the heater core first is I was at all concerned.

Our season here in the Great Plains is over a full month early this year. Since my season started in early July (due to shoulder surgery in February) and no full speed skiing until August I really only got a couple of months of season this year. Talk about skier's blue balls... :(

Ed

High 20's for a few hours overnight won't hurt anything, been there numerous times. Takes a couple days of mid-20's to become an issue. However areamike is right, only takes a bit to drain everything if you're at all worried about it. Agreed I would drain and blow out the heater core first is I was at all concerned.

Our season here in the Great Plains is over a full month early this year. Since my season started in early July (due to shoulder surgery in February) and no full speed skiing until August I really only got a couple of months of season this year. Talk about skier's blue balls... :(

Ed

Being enclosed I'm sure it'll be warmer than the upper 20s and the boat will be fine.

I was in waist deep water for about a 1/2 an hour yesterday and surprised how warm it was ... I would have skied in a shorty if anyone still had a boat out.

I took my old Spyder down to the "Sacratomato" Delta this last weekend. Stayed at Tower Park but it looks like B&W Resort is the best place we found for the next trip. Cruised up the Mokelumne River to check out Wimpy's for their famous hamburger. Burger was good but the place was highly overrated. Oh well, I got gas at their dock while I was waiting. Friday and Saturday temps in the 80's and relatively calm in the protected sloughs. Sunday the wind came up big time and I had my ski vest on inside the boat coming up into the headwind on the San Joaquin River Deep Water Channel going back to the Tower Park ramp. . Bow high, 10 mph, not on plane to keep the spray down. Temp dropped to 61 Sunday when we left. Bend was 20-25 degrees cooler each day.

The Delta makes my boat dirty as can be in just a few days. But I've got all winter long to clean her up in my heated 4 car garage. It's a long time till next spring. I got in 22 boating days this year which is average but I met folks on the Delta that get 40 to 60 days easy.

Observed a dry Shasta Lake with only a stream on the way down. Warmer there than the Delta, though.

I'm done. Other than freezing temps this am, Bend is still the best place for me to live counting the pluses and minuses.

ugh... Cleaned out the garage for the winter... Big storm coming this week in the Bay Area... I guess its time to put her away... Im sure there might a be a few more hot days here and there but the waters starting to get cold in Anderson and Calero and I dont have a drysuit... so... sniffle sniffle... its over lol. Hmmm... Now... I need to work on ideas for winter projects... Thinking about adding the chrome turndown exhaust pipes... Maybe some tower speakers..

ugh... Cleaned out the garage for the winter... Big storm coming this week in the Bay Area... I guess its time to put her away... Im sure there might a be a few more hot days here and there but the waters starting to get cold in Anderson and Calero and I dont have a drysuit... so... sniffle sniffle... its over lol. Hmmm... Now... I need to work on ideas for winter projects... Thinking about adding the chrome turndown exhaust pipes... Maybe some tower speakers..

Enjoy your rain, I know you folks need it.

It's funny, if we don't get an inch of rain a week we think we're in a drought Biggrin.gif

Quick question about batteries...do you take the batteries out of the boat during the winter? Or do you ever leave them in the boat (but disconnected and with a trickle charge to the batteries)? If you do take them out, why?

Thanks.

Quick question about batteries...do you take the batteries out of the boat during the winter? Or do you ever leave them in the boat (but disconnected and with a trickle charge to the batteries)? If you do take them out, why?

Thanks.

I take mine out and bring them into my basement - then I have no worries of anything happening under extreme cold. I charge them every few weeks with a 2 amp charger.

Thanks.

I take mine out and bring them into my basement - then I have no worries of anything happening under extreme cold. I charge them every few weeks with a 2 amp charger.

Plus1.gif Cold weather does nothing good for a battery. I pull too and store in the basement, charge occasionally.

Thanks.

Plus1.gif Cold weather does nothing good for a battery. I pull too and store in the basement, charge occasionally.

Same here. Take them out. Make sure they are fully charged. Recharge from time to time over the winter (on the order of once every month to six weeks).

Thanks.

Same here. Take them out. Make sure they are fully charged. Recharge from time to time over the winter (on the order of once every month to six weeks).

I leave mine in but disconnected, but I am in southern GA the other posts came from up north, There highs are lower than my lows during the winter. Thumbup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

The year is over for my boat. We have had such bad weather the last three weeks and I would like to get a Little more bow hunting before rifle season starts.

The bad thing was I could not get a ski in. Just to much junk in the water logs large sticks it looked like spring melt off. Just not Worth chancing boat or ski damage.

The year is over for my boat. We have had such bad weather the last three weeks and I would like to get a Little more bow hunting before rifle season starts.

The bad thing was I could not get a ski in. Just to much junk in the water logs large sticks it looked like spring melt off. Just not Worth chancing boat or ski damage.

Shyte. The same thing happened to me. I left the boat in for the last 3 weeks hoping to get one more run, but Nooooooooooooooooooo, crappy weather, ski buddies wives won't LET them, crappy weather. it's over. Took her out on Friday and it started to reain as I was cranking back to the marina after running at WOT just for fun. But that wasn't even fun because we had white caps bigs time. Loaded her by myself because no one else around, and I can do this but with a small current and wind and rain, it knid of sucked. Oh well, comw on spring.

:unsure: Skied before church this morning...60° air / 64° water...make that 64° glassssssy water. Clap.gif

No more wallies... Yahoo.gif ...No more wallies... Yahoo.gif

The lake is ours from now until ~ April or May. Yahoo.gif

I put up with a lot of liberal BS living in CA...but at least I can ski year-round. Biggrin.gif