Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

93 Skier Maintenance

Whats up Crew...

So I have been working on Cars and Motorcycles my whole life and I have had a 21' Four Winns for a while now. Being that the engine in my 93 Skier is a 350 Chevy which is hooked to a pole that runs out the hull to a prop I though everything would be a walk in the park...

I worked on the boat for just about the whole day today. This was my punch list:

Winterization

Oil change

Trans fluid change

Add a home made flush kit

I did manage to get it all done before dark, here are a few things I noticed:

1) I can't BELIEVE that there is pretty much NO drain plug on my oil pan, (I searched the fourms and found a post by martinarcher asking for oil extractors for his 88) I have a crappy little hand pump that I will be trading in for an air powered extractor.

2) My raw water intake hose is wedged inbetween my hull and trans mount, I had to YANK it out the front. I though that routing was quite strange as it was pinched slightly.

3) I stole the .pdf from pistol pete on winterization which was super helpfull. On my boat the raw water pump needs to be disconnected from both hoses and removed from the mounting bracket in order to change out the impeller. I'm guessing doing this on the water would be a real pain.

Anyway... the moral of this story is that without this forum I would have been in much more trouble than I ended up being in. Thanks to everyone that makes owning and working on an old Malibu easy and fun! :werule:

Glad it all worked out in the end.

I'm in the process of updating and re-vamping that winterization method.

Just today, I winterized my boat and took lots of pics.

I know what you mean on the tight oil pan plug. It's unreal! To pull the plug you would have to rick your engine forward! Shocking.gif

I haven't made a decision on the extractor yet, but I'm leaning toward a Mityvac unit that holds 8.8L and can either be used as an extractor or fluid dispenser which I thought could come in handy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7T...;pf_rd_i=507846

You're right on with the impeller change. The easiest way I have found to do it is to pull both the intake and outlet hoses, and then remove the pulley for the pump and then take the whole unit off the bracket.

The first time I did it I tried to do it all in the boat and only use the tool in the boat. I did it, but it was a pain. The socket and tool set in the boat is certainly not like what I have in the garage toolbox. Biggrin.gif

Edited by martinarcher
I know what you mean on the tight oil pan plug. It's unreal! To pull the plug you would have to rick your engine forward! Shocking.gif

I haven't made a decision on the extractor yet, but I'm leaning toward a Mityvac unit that holds 8.8L and can either be used as an extractor or fluid dispenser which I thought could come in handy.

You're right on with the impeller change. The easiest way I have found to do it is to pull both the intake and outlet hoses, and then remove the pulley for the pump and then take the whole unit off the bracket.

The first time I did it I tried to do it all in the boat and only use the tool in the boat. I did it, but it was a pain. The socket and tool set in the boat is certainly not like what I have in the garage toolbox. Biggrin.gif

I am leaning towards this one,

http://www.amazon.com/MityVac-7300-Pneumat..._cmu_pg__header

We had the same one at a shop I used to work at so I know it works. I would imagine all the Mityvac units are nice. I really like the idea of using it as a power bleader for brakes also.

Does your skier have the same routing on the raw water intake hose? Pinched under the trans mount? If mine was routed wrong I want to put the new hose in right!

Thanks for the help Rockon.gif

We had the same one at a shop I used to work at so I know it works. I would imagine all the Mityvac units are nice. I really like the idea of using it as a power bleader for brakes also.

Does your skier have the same routing on the raw water intake hose? Pinched under the trans mount? If mine was routed wrong I want to put the new hose in right!

No - it comes off the hull scoop and does a nice loop over the motor mount and then is routed under the exhaust manifold to the intake on the raw water pump. Here's the best pic I can find of it from when I changed the rear tranny seal. If you need a better one let me know I could take one tonight.

Just FYI - the motor is rocked forward off the rear mounts in this pic so I could get the coupling off of the tranny. That's why the motor mount looks so high.

post-7666-1255439884_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher

No - it comes off the hull scoop and does a nice loop over the motor mount and then is routed under the exhaust manifold to the intake on the raw water pump. Here's the best pic I can find of it from when I changed the rear tranny seal. If you need a better one let me know I could take one tonight.

Just FYI - the motor is rocked forward off the rear mounts in this pic so I could get the coupling off of the tranny. That's why the motor mount looks so high.

Im leaning towards routing mine like that! I will have to remove the 90 degree fitting that is hooked to the thru hull but that is no big deal...

Thanks so much for your help

That would make pulling that hose off a bit easier for winterizing. No problem. Glad I could help.

The only thing I need to figure out now is where to put the ball valve to shut off the thru hull...

That would make pulling that hose off a bit easier for winterizing. No problem. Glad I could help.

The only thing I need to figure out now is where to put the ball valve to shut off the thru hull...

I don;t have the ball valve on the original intake line. I T'ed into the intake line just before it goes into the raw water pump and then have the outlet of the T pointing down. I then put a 5 inch piece of 1 1/4" tubing off the T that goes into a 90 degree elbow. This elbow gets me pointed toward the back of the boat. I then installed the ball valve followed by the 1 way valve ( they both sit along the bottom of the hull along the motor). The hose coming off the 1 way valve then goes under the tranny mount (like your old tube) and then along the exhaust.

The beginning of my youtube ballast video will help clarify the whole "T and ball valve position" as I'm sure it's hard to imagine where it is by reading my post. Biggrin.gif

EDIT - just to clarify, the pic above is before the ballast system and does not show the ballast inlet tube.

Edited by martinarcher

Take a drain plug and install a drain hose to it. Drill and tap the drain plug to attach a 5/16th hose about 5' in length. Put a plug in the end. Loop the hose up on to the intake manifold. When it's time to drain the oil, drop the hose through the hull drain hole, pull the plug and presto, the oil will drain with no mess.

Wood,

Are you suggesting drilling and tapping a new drain hole in the oil pan? The issue is there isn't enough room to take the current plug out... So you couldn't ever fit a drain hose on it.

I had thought about checking on a different oil pan but I think its easier just to suck the oil through the dip stick