Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 vs 21?

WakeVA

Sorry to be the newest pest on the forums but there just isn't anything locally to go look at or I'd spare you the dumb questions. Even my local dealer has zero new boats and only 1 used (a 03 VLX). My question is on the vdrive models, how much larger does the 23 really feel over the 21? After seeing the VLX its got me thinking about a 23 instead.

There is a 2000 Escape LSV 23 for sale a few hours from me for $18500 but I have been searching online for an 04 VLX or an 05 Vride to buy. After seeing an 03 VLX I'm thinking bigger is better and I could save 10 grand or more. No ballast on the Escape though.

Well, in terms of how it will feel, it will feel similar to a newer VLX ('05+), somewhere in between the VLX/Vrides that you've been looking at & a newer 23' ('04+). Performance though will be a lot different. I really, highly recommend that you drive one & to drive a Vride to decide for yourself.

I really wish I could. Around here its fishing boats and more fishing boats. Actually there is an 08 Vride, outta my price range but I could drive that.

Edited by WakeVA

Take a weekend "vacation" to drive some baots in the south. Yahoo.gif Just got off the lake the water was 81 still and I know the folks at Atlanta Inboard would be glad to see you. They have new andused on thelot and will let you drive any boat you are intrested in, may also let you try out a board while you are at it.

REW

Take a weekend "vacation" to drive some baots in the south. Yahoo.gif Just got off the lake the water was 81 still and I know the folks at Atlanta Inboard would be glad to see you. They have new andused on thelot and will let you drive any boat you are intrested in, may also let you try out a board while you are at it.

REW

If you found one you like I am sure they would arrange shipping also. That is not a bad plan if you can line up specific boats to try ahead of time so you have some selection and can get out on the water.

REW

If you found one you like I am sure they would arrange shipping also. That is not a bad plan if you can line up specific boats to try ahead of time so you have some selection and can get out on the water.

Definately call ahead and schedule the visit, thats what I did and I was able to drive three boats by noon, started about 8:00 in the morning.

I have a 2003 23' LSV Sunscape with the wakesetter package. Many of my friends have the VLX 2004-2006, my brother and another friend both have 2006 Vrides. After being in my boat and those boats, in my opinion there is a significant difference in the boat size. Ours seems much more spacious, especially when you have 8 or more people on board.

As for performance, I think it depends on the hull (diamond vs. Wake), motor (320, monsoon, hammerhead or 8.1) and how you intend to use the boat. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

I am currently selling my 2003 to purchase a 2009 Wakesetter 23 lsv with the diamond hull. Here is a link to my craigslist add:

http://reno.craigslist.org/boa/1405793751.html

All 23' Malibus built prior to '04 were on the diamond hull, they were all the same in that regard. It changed in '04. And in terms of performance & handling, there is a pretty large gap between that 23' & the 21' boats that the OP has been looking at.

All 23' Malibus built prior to '04 were on the diamond hull, they were all the same in that regard. It changed in '04. And in terms of performance & handling, there is a pretty large gap between that 23' & the 21' boats that the OP has been looking at.

I have not posted before (not a Malibu crew- had a Mcraft which I just sold) but have visited this sight a few times and got the impression most folks on this site are boarders while I am (primarily) a skier though I have a board and I can also foot a little.

So my question, if u will indulge an old dude, can anyone tell me if a '99 wakesetter (23 diamond hull) is okay to also slalom behind? One of my ski buddy's has a '99 Response with the 21 diamond and it has the sweetest wake for slaloming and I am wondering if the wakesetter would do me as a good crossover without having to give up that flat slalom wake. (i.e.by gap what do refer to as a "gap in performanc'e- r u referring to wakeboard wake characteristics) .

I would prefer a good crossover at this point as I my grandkids will want to board as opposed to ski. I guess I was hoping somebody else out there skis as well as boards and could add some knowledge based on experience.

BTW a note to wakegirl: Bend is a beautiful little city. I drive through there about twice a month on average. For that matter Oregon is nice and no state tax is great.

Ask and I shall receive. I got to see an 03 VLX today (no time to drive) and get inside. I think its big enough. I am already pushing my budget big time Roselaw1 so I will stick with the 21. You do have a beautiful boat, I love the color. Here is what I found today:

2003 Waksetter VLX 21 with Monsoon, wedge, PP, mid and rear ballast, teak platform, dual axle trailer, 220 hours, titan tower, tower speakers, some saltwater use. Boat is a trade-in at my local malibu dealer.

2005 Vride 21 with 320LCR, wedge, no PP, mid ballast only, depth finder, fiberglass platform, dual axle trailer, 128 hours, titan tower, tower speakers, havent asked asked about saltwater use yet. Boat is on consignment at a NC dealer a few hour drive from me.

Both sellers asking 30K. The VLX is close enough in distance to drive one afternoon this week. I'll have to make a day trip to see the Vride so that will have to wait a bit. I love to hear opinions of these and maybe some differences about them I will miss as a rookie. I like the sound of the VLX having the monsoon and perfect pass, but having a 2 year newer boat sounds sensible too.

Edited by WakeVA

also, are you going to put it in the water and leave it or tow it around.

If towing, what do you have as a tow vehicle and will it pull either one without a problem.

You dont want to stretch your budget on a bigger boat, only to find you need a new tow vehicle as well.

I plan to use a dry storage facility locally so I can have them drop it in the water on a need to use basis. I don't really need a trailer but find that I am better off with it. My old range rover will pull either I believe.