Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor Oil - Marine Grade oil, is it a scam?

I was referring to the recommendation for 15-40 as opposed to the brand of the oil. What kind of better results do you see from a different oil?

What other "brands" come in 15-40...can you name 5? I cannot. I can name two I think. One for sure.

The different results I see? For one, when I use Valvoline, the oil looks less dirty than the "recommended" when I do my scheduled oil changes. Which I do about three to four times a year. Also, when I use Mobile1 Synthetic my motor seems to run smoother and less 'noisy". Maybe it is just me, but that is what I notice.

I was referring to the recommendation for 15-40 as opposed to the brand of the oil. What kind of better results do you see from a different oil?

What other "brands" come in 15-40...can you name 5? I cannot. I can name two I think. One for sure.

The different results I see? For one, when I use Valvoline, the oil looks less dirty than the "recommended" when I do my scheduled oil changes. Which I do about three to four times a year. Also, when I use Mobile1 Synthetic my motor seems to run smoother and less 'noisy". Maybe it is just me, but that is what I notice.

you change your oil 3 or 4 times per year? How many hours between changes? Doesn't that seem a bit excessive?

excuse me if my questions seem dumb, but i know nothing about oil (well about a lot of things now that i mention it).

But, if your oil looks less dirty at changes, does that that mean it has less detergents than the 15-40 diesel engine oil. Where is all that dirtiness that is in my oil, is it still in your engine?

you change your oil 3 or 4 times per year? How many hours between changes? Doesn't that seem a bit excessive?

Every 50 hours or less. I put about 150 hours on my boat. So 3 changes during the season, then once during winterization. We run my boat pretty hard. Generally speaking, the average speed my boat runs at is probably 40mph. We don't surf or wakeboard...mainly just barefoot.

I run the valvoline racing 20-50.

it appears there are quite a few people using a grade of oil that is not recommended by the manufacturer, why would you do that?

Well. IMO. if my boat is out of warranty and I see better results from a different oil, then why not?

Plus "not recommended" does not mean it is not ok...could be the recommended is the "oil company" or vendor the manufacturer is in bed with...

Yup that about sums it up.

What better results do you see from a different oil? Better fuel economy, hogher oil pressure?

I just make sure the oil I'm using meets the same API rating and viscosity as the factory recommended oil. I can find either shell rotella or chevron delo in 15w-40 at my local wal-mart and it meets the API rating. I don't have the proper rating in front of me, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I have used Mobile one full Synthetic oil after break in on my old sanger, I always ran that boat hard, Sold it this past spring and it had over 800 hours on it , and was never in the shop except for a steering cable, most dependable boat I have ever owned, Can't say for sure if it was the oil, But if it aint broke you wont have to fix her..... I also do alot of drag racing etc, so I talk to alot of engine builders and they won't use anything but Synthetic oil's

Here's 6 that I've seen at Wal Mart, Costco, West Marine and local auto stores:

Pennzoil

Shell Rotella

Mobil delvac

Castrol

Napa

Chevron delo

Pennzoil

Shell Rotella

Mobil delvac

Castrol

Napa

Chevron delo

Napa oil is made by Valvoline I believe.

Pennzoil

Shell Rotella

Mobil delvac

Castrol

Napa

Chevron delo

REALLY?

15w40 in any or all those brands at Walmart? What brands of 15w40 are at Walmart?

I was just at Walmart and could not find a single 15w40 brand oil other than Rotella. Not to mention MARINE grade is harder than heck to find locally for me.

I think marine grade oil sounds a bit fishy to me. :lol: We are all running automotive blocks in our boats. The valves are no different than automotive. The biggest differences are the exhaust and intake components which are not oil lubricated. Our engines run at 160 degrees instead of 200+ which is easier on the oil as well. I have no problem running Mobil 1 synthetic in my boats engine.

Do you guys really buy a "marine grade" oil.

I think marine grade oil sounds a bit fishy to me. :lol: We are all running automotive blocks in our boats. The valves are no different than automotive. The biggest differences are the exhaust and intake components which are not oil lubricated. Our engines run at 160 degrees instead of 200+ which is easier on the oil as well. I have no problem running Mobil 1 synthetic in my boats engine.

No, i buy the 15-40 diesel engine oil recommended by Indmar. Diesel oil apparently has a higher detergent component that is needed when you use this car engine to push a 3,000 - 5,000 lb boat thru the water. Our application is way different than rolling a 3,000-5,000 lb vehicle over pavement on rubber tires.

Our engines have more in common with diesel engines which typically haul heavier loads than a car.

Yes. It has been brought up it has more moisture inhibitors and coarsen control.

Pennzoil's site has a breakdown on it.

With that said I use Pennzoil Diesel oil.

Not sure if it's true, But I have always heard Pennzoil, can gunk up an engine, or leave sludge. Again thats what I have heard more then once. Anyone else hear this about Pennzoil?

Edited by VLX04

So.....Saturday I'm at the motorcycle shop buying oil for my next oil change and my G.F. notices that I'm paying $15 a qt. for the oil I use. She says "don't we put like $2 a qt. oil in our cars?" I say "Yeah, $2 a qt. at the most" Crazy.gif

Can I be king for the day? Anyone else using $15 a qt. oil out there?

Anybody think "motorcycle oil" is a scam? Judging by the pictures that are on the bottle of oil, I should be able to ride waaaay faster and lean my bike over waaaaay more with this particular brand of oil. I can't wait to get it in there and start doing wheelies. Thumbup.gif

So.....Saturday I'm at the motorcycle shop buying oil for my next oil change and my G.F. notices that I'm paying $15 a qt. for the oil I use. She says "don't we put like $2 a qt. oil in our cars?" I say "Yeah, $2 a qt. at the most" Crazy.gif

Anybody think "motorcycle oil" is a scam? Judging by the pictures that are on the bottle of oil, I should be able to ride waaaay faster and lean my bike over waaaaay more with this particular brand of oil. I can't wait to get it in there and start doing wheelies. Thumbup.gif

Mostly I use Bel-Ray stuff in the bikes(since the 80s)sometimes Klotz, $15-20 a qt depending. But I only go through 4-6 qts a year.

I use Red Line racing oil in the hot rod, I think it about 9.00 a Qt, That seams like alot of cash for that, How many Qts do you use?
Not to mention MARINE grade is harder than heck to find locally for me.

I notice you are from Indiana. Try Advance Auto Parts. The oil is not in the section with the automotive oils, there is a separate section for diesel oils.

The recommended Pennzoil Oil is a Diesel Blend.

Our engines run at 160 degrees instead of 200+ which is easier on the oil as well.

Not necessarily.

It depends on what the oil is formulated for. In general, diesel engines run cooler than an automotive gas engine, so the diesel oil may be blended to be most effective at 160F,

compared to a regular automotive oil for a gas engine that is operating in the 200+ range.

Edited by Soon2BV