Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Motor Oil - Marine Grade oil, is it a scam?

Our manufacturer recommends Marine Grade synthetic oil. Is is really any different than high quality synthetic automotive oil, or is it a scam to charge 2x the price? Any comments or experience out there?

Thanks,

Scarey

Edited by Scarey
Our manufacturer recommends Marine Grade synthetic oil. Is is really any different than high quality synthetic automotive oil, or is it a scam to charge 2x the price? Any comments or experience out there?

Thanks,

Scarey

Which manufacturer, Malibu recommend 15-40 (not synthetic) which is a diesel engine oil.

Thanks,

Scarey

Which manufacturer, Malibu recommend 15-40 (not synthetic) which is a diesel engine oil.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Malibu VTX with a 340 Monsoon. You are correct on the non-synthitic. The manual does say that after 100 hours that synthitec meeting the viscousity spec is OK. But is there a difference between marine and non-marine?

Scarey

Personally, I do use marine grade Penzoil. For the once a year I change it, it's worth the extra couple of bucks.

Read this. and, this and, this ok, last one, now I'm tired.

Is that a polite way of saying, hey buddy, try doing a search.

No,

The guy has a valid question pertaining specifically to synthetic. I was showing the other threads so he could see what we've discussed regarding the ratings of oil and how basically, as long as the oil has the correct (API, I think) rating, it's good to go.

Personally,

I don't mind people getting on and asking a question that we've already discussed. I'm not the Malibucrew police. Every time someone gets on and asks something like, what octane gas or, what oil or, I have a bent wedge arm, it starts a discussion where someone might chime in with some new news to us. So, I'll never tell someone to just "do a search".

edit, ha ha, I just realized Cervelo is the starter of the third thread I linked.

Edited by Pistol Pete
Personally, I do use marine grade Penzoil. For the once a year I change it, it's worth the extra couple of bucks.

Read this. and, this and, this ok, last one, now I'm tired.

Is that a polite way of saying, hey buddy, try doing a search.

Well I thought that was what I was doing?

Thanks Pistol Pete for the links, I tried a search on this site and came up with zero. As I am new on this site I must have done something wrong. Diesel grade looks like the answer as no marine oil available here.

Thanks,

Scarey

Edited by Scarey
Diesel grade looks like the answer as no marine oil available here.

Where is "here"? Even Wal-Mart carries Marine Penzoil...but you are correct, if diesel rated oil is easier to find, go with that. Same rating. Thumbup.gif

I don't think it's a scam but personally I don't think it's necessary either. After all these are still basically automotive engines only slightly modified for marine use. Original owner of the boat I now own used Rotella-T 15w-40 which is diesel oil I believe, I continue to use it as well. My previous boat I bought new (330 hp Indmar engine), Indmar said use Penzoil marine 15-40 but couldn't find "marine" oil in my part of Podunk so I used Penzoil supposedly-made-for-trucks 15-40 instead. Pretty sure it's the same thing in a differently labeled bottle. Eight years and around 500 hours and never a problem. I don't know that regular 15-40 motor oil wouldn't be just as good as "marine", however as stated above for the 2 - 3 times a year you change oil a few extra bucks is worth the peace of mind. My 2 cents.

Ed

Im a synthetic junky :) We run 15w40 in my racecar so the boat always has that in it either mobil1 or royal purple which ever one is closer. Before i had 80hrs i ran valvoline racing 20w50. Any oil works but keep it changed! I also use only racing filters mainly because of the stainless tube with the possibility of moisture in the oil the paper tube concerns me :)

I use synthetic and use Royal Purple Synthetic. All you really need to is change the filter. Can do that 2 plus time.. 150 hours on one oil change.

I called Penzoil when I first got my Bu, to inquire where I could find the marine grade oil. There answer to the question of what the difference was between marine and automotive grades was that the marine grade had rust or moisture inhibitors, but the techs opinion was, that since the boat was garage stored and not on a lift or in the water, that the non-marine grade would be fine.

I called Penzoil when I first got my Bu, to inquire where I could find the marine grade oil. There answer to the question of what the difference was between marine and automotive grades was that the marine grade had rust or moisture inhibitors, but the techs opinion was, that since the boat was garage stored and not on a lift or in the water, that the non-marine grade would be fine.

Just following this post and I see most people are runnung 15-40. I think most dealers up here are running 25-40. I went to a local shop and they only had bulk so they sent me to the local auto shop and told me to go with 15-40 as the shop did not have 25-40 and 15 was just as good. Any guesses why they are running 25-40. I assume Malibu recommends 15-40?

Just following this post and I see most people are runnung 15-40. I think most dealers up here are running 25-40. I went to a local shop and they only had bulk so they sent me to the local auto shop and told me to go with 15-40 as the shop did not have 25-40 and 15 was just as good. Any guesses why they are running 25-40. I assume Malibu recommends 15-40?

The only 25w-40 oil I have seen available as of late is Mercury's Quicksilver. I've seen 25w-50 and 15w-40 in other brands but not 25w-40. I used the Quicksilver on my last 2 oil changes but this year I'll be re-filling with 15w-40 Shell Rotella T.

Hey guys, so check this out. I had my boat at a marina this year and brought some oil with me one day to top it off. The mechanic saw the LS1 engine in my boat and flipped out. He thought I was ruining my engine by running Rotella-T in it. He said that he used to work at the Malibu dealership and that Rotella-T has way too many detergents in it to be run in such a high end engine. I don't get it. I'm switching to ful Synthetic now, but what's the deal with this guy? Is he an idiot?

Separate question, should I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in my boat? I can't find synthetic 15w-40 anywhere!!

I just Changed the oil, and went looking for synthetic 15-40 I found it in Mobile one, 5W-40 It said on the lable recommended for 15w-40 applications and yes its says for Turbo Diesel trucks...... I have allways used synthetic in all my rigs, 500 HP 67 Camaro, Red line oil, 2002 Tahoe Mobile one, and my last boat 1996 Sanger with over 800 hours on it and still going strong, Mobile one, I Guarantee Your 350 chev dont know it's on the water or on the asphalt....You can allways bet if it say's marine add $$$ to it..

Edited by VLX04
I just Changed the oil, and went looking for synthetic 15-40 I found it in Mobile one, 5W-40 It said on the lable recommended for 15w-40 applications and yes its says for Turbo Diesel trucks...... I have allways used synthetic in all my rigs, 500 HP 67 Camaro, Red line oil, 2002 Tahoe Mobile one, and my last boat 1996 Sanger with over 800 hours on it and still going strong, Mobile one, I Guarantee Your 350 chev dont know it's on the water or on the asphalt....You can allways bet if it say's marine add $$$ to it..

My LS-1 recommended oil is 15w-40 and I contacted Indmar and they said 15w-50 Mobil One would be fine. That's what I use and one less thing to worry about.

Edit:

The owners manual indicates that you need to wait till the engine has 100 hours before using synthetic oil. Mobil 1 does not make a 15W40 oil but does have a 15W50 which is what I would recommend.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service

Edited by MalibuNation
Hey guys, so check this out. I had my boat at a marina this year and brought some oil with me one day to top it off. The mechanic saw the LS1 engine in my boat and flipped out. He thought I was ruining my engine by running Rotella-T in it. He said that he used to work at the Malibu dealership and that Rotella-T has way too many detergents in it to be run in such a high end engine. I don't get it. I'm switching to ful Synthetic now, but what's the deal with this guy? Is he an idiot?

Separate question, should I run Mobil 1 15w-50 in my boat? I can't find synthetic 15w-40 anywhere!!

I would say he's an idiot. Indmar recommends Shell Rotella as an alternative to the Penzoil. Shell makes/owns both oils by the way.

Diesel grade looks like the answer as no marine oil available here.

Where is "here"? Even Wal-Mart carries Marine Penzoil...but you are correct, if diesel rated oil is easier to find, go with that. Same rating. Thumbup.gif

AutoZone does not carry the Pennzoil brand, but Advanced Auto Parts does.

It is in an area away from all of the other motor oil.

My WalMart does not carry it.

I run the valvoline racing 20-50.

it appears there are quite a few people using a grade of oil that is not recommended by the manufacturer, why would you do that?

Well. IMO. if my boat is out of warranty and I see better results from a different oil, then why not?

Plus "not recommended" does not mean it is not ok...could be the recommended is the "oil company" or vendor the manufacturer is in bed with...

Edited by areamike

it appears there are quite a few people using a grade of oil that is not recommended by the manufacturer, why would you do that?

Well. IMO. if my boat is out of warranty and I see better results from a different oil, then why not?

Plus "not recommended" does not mean it is not ok...could be the recommended is the "oil company" or vendor the manufacturer is in bed with...

Yup that about sums it up.

I was referring to the recommendation for 15-40 as opposed to the brand of the oil. What kind of better results do you see from a different oil?