Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need help with my oil change

warsetter2010

I went to change my oil and found that my engine (8.1 Vortec) requires Pennzoil Pz-3 filter and Pennzoil 40 w oil. I can't find this stuff anywhere. I searched online, went to O'Rielly's, Advanced, Napa, and still couldn't find it. Can I use Generic, or do I have to use Pennzoil? This is my first Big Block and I would hate to screw it up on an oil change. I looked in the Manual and its telling me to use something completely different.

I went to change my oil and found that my engine (8.1 Vortec) requires Pennzoil Pz-3 filter and Pennzoil 40 w oil. I can't find this stuff anywhere. I searched online, went to O'Rielly's, Advanced, Napa, and still couldn't find it. Can I use Generic, or do I have to use Pennzoil? This is my first Big Block and I would hate to screw it up on an oil change. I looked in the Manual and its telling me to use something completely different.

make sure you do it right. Talk to a malibu dealer if that is a possibility.

Napa & Purolator have an equivalent for the Pz3, you'll just have to look in their book when you go to the store. Also, I think that Schucks actually carries the Pennzoil filters, so you could check there. As far as the 40w oil goes (it doesn't have to be Pennzoil regardless of what anyone says), I've been able to find that in a lot of places. It's not that uncommon.

Napa & Purolator have an equivalent for the Pz3, you'll just have to look in their book when you go to the store. Also, I think that Schucks actually carries the Pennzoil filters, so you could check there. As far as the 40w oil goes (it doesn't have to be Pennzoil regardless of what anyone says), I've been able to find that in a lot of places. It's not that uncommon.

Chevron Delo 400 can you use that?

I run Shell Rottella 15W40 in my Malibu and the Mobil 1 filter that cross references with the PZ3 filter (one thing the guys at Kragen can do).

I'm a believer in Rotella because I work for a heavy highway construction company and all of our motors get Rotella. All of our Chevy gas motors are running just fine at 250,000 + miles. We just sold a 2000 Chevy with 240,000 miles and get this 11,200 hours...ran like a top.

Lots of motorcycle guys also run the Rotella, so it works pretty good in high rpm motors also.

I run Shell Rottella 15W40 in my Malibu and the Mobil 1 filter that cross references with the PZ3 filter (one thing the guys at Kragen can do).

I'm a believer in Rotella because I work for a heavy highway construction company and all of our motors get Rotella. All of our Chevy gas motors are running just fine at 250,000 + miles. We just sold a 2000 Chevy with 240,000 miles and get this 11,200 hours...ran like a top.

Lots of motorcycle guys also run the Rotella, so it works pretty good in high rpm motors also.

Plus1.gif and a Napa gold 1069 filter for me.

I never have, but lots of people do. Most of the car guys that I know won't use Pennzoil because they claim that it is produces more sludge than most of the other big names.

I agree the rottella is a very good oil and the spects are the same as the penzoil. I would run the mobil filter or the napa but not the pz3 or a fram imo.

Royal Purple 15w-40 Synthetic oil and a Napa Gold 1069 (or Wix 51069) filter is what I put in/on my boat and it calls for the same stuff your boat does.

Edited by Wakes
jkendallmsce

I agree the rottella is a very good oil and the spects are the same as the penzoil. I would run the mobil filter or the napa but not the pz3 or a fram imo.

The PZ3 oil filters are the cheapest (POS) filters you can use. I put a link some time ago that analyzed oil filters. The Napa 1069 is much better. Thats what I use. I am sure there is a NAPA close by. Plus the FRAM is just a notch above teh PZ3.

Plus1.gif and a Napa gold 1069 filter for me.

I've used the Rotella & not had any issues. But I tend to use Napas own brand of oil since I'm there anyway. Made by Valvoline.

Royal Purple 15w-40 Synthetic oil and a Napa Gold 1069 (or Wix 51069) filter is what I put in/on my boat and it calls for the same stuff your boat does.

I also use the Wix 51069 after reading A LOT about different filters. I just started using Royal Purple in our trucks. The Indmar manual states that it is acceptable to run synthetic after 100 hours of operation. I have 94 on mine, so I used the Rotella this time. I will probably switch to the Royal Purple when I change the oil next Fall.

Use the same oil weight,,,The Brand name is not a biggy as long as you go with a big name Oil and use it all the time.. As said,, Rotella is hard to beat!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I just found out I need a new engine :( apparently something is loose internally and that is why I wasn't getting the power I needed. It has been running on 6 cylinders since I got it.

Yep I been using it for a couple of years.

• 1 year later...

What mobil 1 filter cross references a pz3?