Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wipeout

Tom Sawyer

Glad I am old and will never try 41 off ( or the majority of the other short ones lol)

How fast do you think he's going by the time he's across the wake at the length?

Edited by Rednucleus
4 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

Glad I am old and will never try 41 off ( are the majority of the other short ones lol)

How fast do you think he's going by the time he's across the wake at the length?

I've always been led to believe that the skier speed is 1.5x of the boat.  He more than likely as a kid would be going at least 34 and more likely 36.5mph.  I've done the same wipeout and my ankle still hurts from it...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/5/2016 at 9:48 AM, Swivel said:

It's hard to match a truly great slalom or barefoot crash.  Been there, broke the bones.

Head feet head feet head feet, my last barefoot crash when wife had no speedo and trimmed the outboard above half which was our 42mph, I think she had me going 47++, wicked nasty fall doing one foot one hands 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

This was a few days after my best barefooting fall.  I was long line footing and we made the sharp turn at the end of the lake, and I thought I could hold on and steer thru the turn like I do on the shortline.  I was turning thru it but my feet just starting sliding sideways at what felt like 60mph, still picking up speed, and then off I went.  I got in the boat and said "man, I feel like I just got punched in the face".  My daughter is like "uh, dad, I think you did".  Looked in the CIPA and it was already turning colors and swelling up.  It was a good one.  A couple hours later was our annual lake picnic, it was a good badge of honor standing there with a black eye and a beer and my ski team shirt on.

2016 John black eye resized.jpg

It looks like I have had on barefoot had your eyelids pinned upside down 1/2 the lid, I had to flip it back down

• 7 months later...
9 hours ago, minnmarker said:

How fast were you going?  Looks kinda fast for an intermediate, or any, boarder.

Surfing is lower impact...

I go 20.4, I do agree surfing impact, we do plenty of that.

• Like 1

I have a killer first move when I drive the tube.  It throws people off about 60% of the time - right out of the gate.  Welcome to MY world.....

Edited by sic0048
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, sic0048 said:

I have a killer first move when I drive the tube.  It throws people off about 60% of the time - right out of the gate.  Welcome to MY world.....

And towing from the tower ought to make that boat last a year or two tops. Good job.   :Doh:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
4 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

And towing from the tower ought to make that boat last a year or two tops. Good job.   :Doh:

Normally we don't tube from the tower, but this was a large group of kids from church and we needed the extra space......

Edited by sic0048
ahopkins22LSV
9 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

If that was the case there would literally be no boats left on lakes with a tower...

12 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

If that was the case there would literally be no boats left on lakes with a tower...

Guy on my lake has a 10 year old Sanger.  Between 11 and 4 pretty much every weekend, there are three tubes swinging from his tower.  Been this way for years.  Other than the time it sunk at his dock, it seems to be holding up.

It's not general tubing that causes the problem, it's that rare occasion when the tube takes a dive, plays submarine.  This puts the massive, tower removing load on.

2 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I'll have to get some pics sometime of the cracks we regularly repair from this. Usually older boats, but not always. There used to be safety decals on towers for this.

• 1 year later...

This was post wipe out waiting in the ER. Slalom skiing I completely tore the hamstring off the bone - took a couple years for me to get back on a ski. 

88F9399F-F9DA-44ED-8801-7B13633B98B3.jpeg

• Like 1
On 6/13/2017 at 9:42 PM, toddrparr said:

first pass of the day, just warming up and I ate it pretty hard. Ended up slightly concussed and I don't remember about 5 minutes of my life...

Looks like your driver was turning.  I blame him/her!