Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'02 Response Gauge Wiring Question

I have an '02 Response with the 5" servo gauges. The multi (volt, fuel, temp and oil pressure) gauge is mounted on the left, speedo in the middle and the Perfect Pass on the right. I am going to switch from 6.5ng to Stargazer over the winter, so I don't need the speedo. The boat had the single line display with the tach from new I believe and the original owner upgraded to the multi-line gauge when he switched from 6.3 to 6.5ng. I bought a used 5" tach that I am hopeing that I can put in where the speedo is now. I got the tach the other day and it has place on the back to plug in a wiring harness, no terminals like the Gaffrig gauges in my Cougar. I have not looked under the dash yet, so I am wondering if there was a similar plug on the back of the speedo? Will I be able to unplug it from the speedo and plug it back into the tach? If I can't, is it possible to buy the plug with pigtail wires attached so that I can wire it up? I would prefer to keep the PP on the right because I am right handed and it makes it easier to change the settings on it when needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Gary.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the pins on the back of the gauge? The tach has a built in LCD hour meter and I would like to put 12v to it to get the hours up from 144 to what is actually on my motor. I have a Mercruiser scan tool to read the ECU, so I would like them to match. Let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks

Gary

That's a great help. I will check it out. Thanks for the info, Gary.

Edited by Hydrogasm

I think the engine has to be running above 300rpms to register the hours on the computor but I think the hour meter should count up with the key in the "ON" position. I will check it out.

Thanks

Gary

the hours are counted by the engine ECM only when the motor is running. they are then sent to the mmdc. for wires, there is no 12v. Blue is illumination, white/red stripe is +7vdc, Gray /black stripe is ground, and Yellow is the databus or canbus

rinconking

If I understand you correctly, there is not a way to put hours on the gauge without the engine running? Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

I'm 95% sure even on my later 06 vride that if I leave the key on the hours are counting. This would be what he's trying to emulate I think.

I'm afraid you are 95% wrong Tease2.gif , 04 and above read the hours right off the ECM. Engine not running = no hours registered.

-Chris

99Response

My boat is an '02, so does that mean I can leave the key on and the hour meter will count up but not the ECU. I didn't mention before that it is an LS1 with a MEFI4 computor, if that makes a difference. Please clarify.

Thanks

Gary

I uncovered the boat this afternoon was able to unplug the speedo and plug the tach in. Backlight and needle worked. It read 144.8 hrs. Let the key on for several minutes but the hour meter did not move. So it seems like I won't be able to adjust it to get it to read the approxiamately 225 hours that the motor has on it. Anyone got any other suggestions??

Thanks

Gary

The original owner upgraded the PP from 6.3 to 6.5ng, so the hours were lost. The multi-line display when installed started out at 0.0hrs not the actual hours. I am going to replace the speedo with the used tach, showing 144.8hrs and upgrade to Stargazer, so the hours will be wrong again. I have a scan tool that I can read the actual hours on the ECM, so I was hopeing to be have the actual hours on the tach without having to scan the ECM. It is not a big deal but I thought it would easier to keep track of them.

Thanks

Gary

If you're just interested in easily accessing the hours on the boat, this might help.

On my 02 response the water and air temp gauge also keeps track of hours. You have to toggle through the different display settings, but it's there. I found this when I replaced my main gauges a couple years ago.