Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking to buy a wakesurf board. Large Beginner ~228 lbs.

MexTex

I am looking to buy a new beginner wakesurf board to float a 228 pounder. I want to get a board that is easy to ride, something that everyone can use. I don't want to spend Inland Surfer cheese, something along the lines of Hyperlite Broadcast pricing. When I get better I'll be happy to spend the bucks on a good board, but this one will be passed around to all of my guest. Any help would be much appreciated. Thumbup.gif

I've been looking at the Hyperlite Broadcast, CWB Ride and thats pretty much it.

Pass on the CWB ride for sure, they suck!! the broadcast is a good first board. get with Riverrunner he may have a few boards for you to choose from and he is in your area.

One more thing, I just purchased a 750 lbs Fly High fat sack for the rear engine compartment and the boat has internal ballast and a power wedge. Will that be enough for now? The guy I purchased the boat from had another 750 lb bag on the side seat but it caused some stress on the seams of the seat. It looks as though the vinyl is pulling away from the piping. Dontknow.gif

One more thing, I just purchased a 750 lbs Fly High fat sack for the rear engine compartment and the boat has internal ballast and a power wedge. Will that be enough for now? The guy I purchased the boat from had another 750 lb bag on the side seat but it caused some stress on the seams of the seat. It looks as though the vinyl is pulling away from the piping. Dontknow.gif

I'd put another sac on the side seat. It will lengthen out the wave. We run a 550 in the back and an 800 on the seat on our 08 VLX. We also run the factury ballast and the wedge and 9 o'clock. If we add people the best wave is when someone sits by the dash.

I have both the Broadcast and the Coex. I never use the Broadcast anymore and shortened the fin to 1.1in on the coex for an awesome ride. After we train someone with out the rope then we move them to the coex.

That wave will be tall and short with that weight setup. You could get a couple of the long 400# sacs from fly high and put them under the seats starting where the 750# sac ends all the way up to the observers compartment. This way you won't have any bags on your seats and you'll be weighting the boat correctly. They really need some weight up near the observers compartment to lengthen and firm up the wave.

Want an Inland Surfer Red Tide for the price of a Broadcast? I'd sell mine for $250 plus shipping. It's a 2007 model in great shape. Perfect board for a larger person.

Shawn

Want an Inland Surfer Red Tide for the price of a Broadcast? I'd sell mine for $250 plus shipping. It's a 2007 model in great shape. Perfect board for a larger person.

Shawn

Same board I use and we are about the same size.

• 3 months later...

First, get the Broadcast in 5'4" model. This board will break in newbies for years to come. It is a great board, and you can take fins off if you get bored with it (that should take 20-30 rides...or more...it really is a fun board). If you want to split the baby and try for a slipperier board to start, go for the 4'10" broadcast, but don't get carried away with a short inland or phase 5 unless everyone in your crew already is decent wakeboarders and just switching to surf...newbies won't like em, but boarders could probably enjoy right away.

750 lbs is too big in your locker on a VLX. Ok to use, but don't overfill it. I put a 400 in my locker, and a long-skinny 250 under the side seats (this is real important). Then about 200 up front. Add 4-5 people on the side seats (scrunch your driver chair up during goofy). Unless you have a huge bunch of people in the boat, don't let ANYONE sit on the off side...screws up everything big time. Everyone has to get on the proper side. I also fill my factory ballast. When we surf regular, once my rider is up, I actually stand left of center while I steer. Be careful not to get your rub rails under water, or your fuel vent. Don't swamp your boat on the turn...be patient.

If all you have is the 750, use it with your factory ballast and your crew (need at least 3 in the side seats) and you will be plenty happy with the wave...good to have someone up front too.....experiment with your wedge in all positions with everyone in the boat before you surf. Then, while your surfer is out, play with the wedge a little and watch the wave to see how it responds.

Edited by SC Fam