Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

fresh water seal?

infamousboone

I was out last week breaking in my recently acquired VLX (love it btw) on lake washington in seattle, when I noticed a head sticking out the water about 50 feet off my port side. at first I thought it was a water rat (pretty common in the lake). But after seeing it several more times I realized it was far to big for a water rat and as I got closer I noticed its flippers as it would dive. i have never heard of fresh water seal and my only thought is that it some how got through the locks that lead to the puget sound.

any seattle area boaters ever seen this seal before?

ever heard of a fresh water seal?

jkendallmsce
I was out last week breaking in my recently acquired VLX (love it btw) on lake washington in seattle, when I noticed a head sticking out the water about 50 feet off my port side. at first I thought it was a water rat (pretty common in the lake). But after seeing it several more times I realized it was far to big for a water rat and as I got closer I noticed its flippers as it would dive. i have never heard of fresh water seal and my only thought is that it some how got through the locks that lead to the puget sound.

Ballard Locks + inquistive seal = fresh water seal

There is, at times, a large 'herd' of seals that get fat and lazy camping by the fish ladder at Bonnevile Dam. Bonneville Dam is 40 miles east of 1-5/Portland on the Columbia. Soooo, 150+ miles from salt water.

There is an ongoing debate on the how to remove them. So far they have tried traps, selective rifle hunts and some knucklehead even shot a few that were already trapped.

Sure it wasn't a big otter? I see those all the time in lake wa. Several of them are always camped out on my buddies Nautique, crapping on the cover! And since we're on the topic of nasty animals, I also amost skied over an idiot raccoon swimming to Bellevue one morning this summer....

There is, at times, a large 'herd' of seals that get fat and lazy camping by the fish ladder at Bonnevile Dam. Bonneville Dam is 40 miles east of 1-5/Portland on the Columbia. Soooo, 150+ miles from salt water.

There is an ongoing debate on the how to remove them. So far they have tried traps, selective rifle hunts and some knucklehead even shot a few that were already trapped.

We get them in Sacramento every year. The fishermen HATE them since they steal fish-on. Good seals, good seals... heh.

I've seen a deer swim across a lake. Not a short swim to an island either.

When I was a kid we came across a moose swimming out to one of the islands on Priest Lake. Maybe a 1/2 mile swim.