Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater winterization

Hi,

I have a 2005 malibu lxi and I am reading the manual and the info. in this forum about winterizing

my boat which I'm going to do with help.

Can someone tell me if the hoses to/from the heater are all located in the engine compartment? Is there anything special I need to do to make sure all of the water is drained from the heater?

Lastly, at the dealership they said they were going to put antifreeze in and I'm going to also do it because it seems like an additional safety precaution to ensure than nothing will freeze and break.

Can someone with a 2005 lxi tell me how many plugs I should have pull in total (including any for the heater)?

Thanks

Should be 2 block plugs,,on each side of the engine,,Drain the Manifolds,,There is 2 hoses from the heater in the engine comp..Take them both off and blow out with mouth.. Dont use compressed air as it could damage the core. good Luck..

Should be 2 block plugs,,on each side of the engine,,Drain the Manifolds,,There is 2 hoses from the heater in the engine comp..Take them both off and blow out with mouth.. Dont use compressed air as it could damage the core. good Luck..

after blowing water out of heater lines, get a funnel and fill w/ -50 antifreeze...blow it through until it starts coming out end of other hose.

The heater lines are the two hoses that run from the engine, towards the front of the boat, under the floor next to the pylon. One should come off the intake manifold and the second should be spliced into one of the raw water lines. After you disconnect them both just blow out the water with your lungs and then use a funnel to fill the heater core through the line that comes off the intake manifold. When it starts running out of the lower hose, it's full. Try to use environmentally safe anti-freeze for when you start it up next year.

Disconnect the raw water line that comes off the pump driven by the crankshaft (should go to the trasnmission cooler and be on the "passenger side" of the boat). Disconnect the hose from the engine mounted water pump (usually a cup of water or so hides in there).

Remove the 2 drain plugs, one on either side of the block (the drivers side could be the water temperature sensor, but it depends on year/engine model, remove it regardless of what it is). These will be below the exhaust manifolds about 2-3 inches of where the oil pan meets the engine block. If your boat has knock sensors these will be in place of the drain plugs....again regardless of what they are remove them, these are the block drains.

Last disconnect the hose that connects between the exhaust manifolds. Usually there is a garden hose type connection that splits the hose located on the drivers side. Just follow the hose from the drivers side exhaust manifold and you will find it. Make sure to route the longer portion of the hose into the bilge so it drains.

It also doesn't hurt to hit each hose or drain hole with a shop vacuum to get as much water out after gravity has done it's job. I leave everything open through the winter but if you want to reconnect stuff and put the drain plugs back in you can. I just like to let everything air out as much as possible to make sure any residual water has some chance of evaporating.

Another good idea is to jack the front of your trailer up as high as possible to make sure the HDS box drains and give any residual water in the exhaust a chance to drain out. My HDS seems to hide a little water after use. Jacking the trailer nose up after a few days gets the last bit out.