Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

computron problem

I know its weird but my computron is acting up. When I turn the key on sometimes it doesn't lite up at all and others times it just has a bunch of iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii come up. I use to smack the top of the dash and everything would straighten up, that is no longer working. any ideas? when it does come on evertrhing functions fine I can't seem to find any loose connections. Thanks guys

I know its weird but my computron is acting up. When I turn the key on sometimes it doesn't lite up at all and others times it just has a bunch of iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii come up. I use to smack the top of the dash and everything would straighten up, that is no longer working. any ideas? when it does come on evertrhing functions fine I can't seem to find any loose connections. Thanks guys

Try using the dimmer switch to dim the display. If that doesn't work, you will likely have to pull the dash and remove the LED unit. The prongs on the individual chips are probably corroded.

If all else fails call Malibu.

Talked to a rep last week for a part on mine. I believe they still have some display units on the shelves as well as a few relic parts for the computron.

Try cleaning the connectors contacts with some Electrontic cleaner spray. Could be a bad connection.... could be 5 different things...start small and rule out any shorts on the wire harness. From there it is likely that your comptuer is on the fritz. My dad and I have extensively tested the one in my boat. If you need any speicifc advise on how to test any parts let me know.

What year is your Echelon?

Edited by Ramman17

Talked to a rep last week for a part on mine. I believe they still have some display units on the shelves as well as a few relic parts for the computron.

Try cleaning the connectors contacts with some Electrontic cleaner spray. Could be a bad connection.... could be 5 different things...start small and rule out any shorts on the wire harness. From there it is likely that your comptuer is on the fritz. My dad and I have extensively tested the one in my boat. If you need any speicifc advise on how to test any parts let me know.

I'm sure it's the chips. I bought my Echelon this winter and the center portion did not illuminate. So it would start out "Custo ilt for" instead of "Custom built for", and no text showed in the center on any funtion. I removed and dissasembled that unit. There was evidence of standing water inside Cry.gif There are 3 chips, one for the right text, one for left, one for center. I pulled them out and cleaned the prongs (tiny prongs, like 50 on each one), reinserted them, moved them to alternating positions, etc. until I had it all illuminated. Worked great 'till about a month ago, and after the boat is in the hot sun for a bit then the left side was brighter than the center and right. If I turned the dim UP, then it would brighten the center and right side but put iiiiiii on the left. I turned the dim down, and it would go back to text, but still brighter on the right side.So I'm sure there is just a problem with the left chip, which I'll pull out again this winter.

BUT, you have a good point, check all available connections before pulling apart a dash, it could be a connection issue anywhere causing the whole thing to fail.

Who do you talk to at Malibu, and do you have the number?

I'm sure it's the chips. I bought my Echelon this winter and the center portion did not illuminate. So it would start out "Custo ilt for" instead of "Custom built for", and no text showed in the center on any funtion. I removed and dissasembled that unit. There was evidence of standing water inside Cry.gif There are 3 chips, one for the right text, one for left, one for center. I pulled them out and cleaned the prongs (tiny prongs, like 50 on each one), reinserted them, moved them to alternating positions, etc. until I had it all illuminated. Worked great 'till about a month ago, and after the boat is in the hot sun for a bit then the left side was brighter than the center and right. If I turned the dim UP, then it would brighten the center and right side but put iiiiiii on the left. I turned the dim down, and it would go back to text, but still brighter on the right side.So I'm sure there is just a problem with the left chip, which I'll pull out again this winter.

BUT, you have a good point, check all available connections before pulling apart a dash, it could be a connection issue anywhere causing the whole thing to fail.

Who do you talk to at Malibu, and do you have the number?

Don't remember a name. Just call (209) 383-7469 and ask for a cust srv rep.

Glad we were able to save another Computron crisis. Clap.gif

My new software card came in so I am heading to the dealer this afternoon to pick up. Lets hope I get some of your luck and it fixes my problem too or I might just.....

Blowup.gif

Edited by Ramman17
  • 1 month later...

mine does not light up at all any sugestions other than the usual I have checked all wiring plug ins and even removed the computron and put it back in the display is just doing nothing it looks the same with power off as with engine running. Any one know where it gets its power feed

mine does not light up at all any sugestions other than the usual I have checked all wiring plug ins and even removed the computron and put it back in the display is just doing nothing it looks the same with power off as with engine running. Any one know where it gets its power feed

PM me and I'll send you a wiring diagram. There is some easy test you can do if you aren't getting power. If your blower is coming on when you turn the key the control unit is getting power. Check your plugs and make sure the pins are clean and then maybe a good cleaning of the actual board with alcohol and a gentle toothbrush.

If none of those work you will prob need a new corool unit at the tune of

~$350.