Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you like to add?

WakeGirl

Can it be changed so that someone voting in a poll doesn't bring that thread back up to the top? I hate that. A thread should only come to the top if something new has been posted in it. Yes.gif

Whoa,

I'm going out on a limb here but, I agree with NCB about not having the thread go back up to the top just because someone put in a vote on a poll.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• areamike

• Pistol Pete

• NorCaliBu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can it be changed so that someone voting in a poll doesn't bring that thread back up to the top? I hate that. A thread should only come to the top if something new has been posted in it. Yes.gif

A big Plus1.gif on this.

I've gone through & made the appropriate adjustments, you guys shouldn't be bothered by that one anymore. :)

Thumbup.gif See what a little payola can do? Biggrin.gif

<-- ;)

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu
Wow Michael, I can't remember the last time you had so many people agree with you in one day. :lol: You're on a roll.

I've gone through & made the appropriate adjustments, you guys shouldn't be bothered by that one anymore. :)

Two people is so many???

Oh wait, now it is 3.

Edited by Baddog

Skins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very tired of all this GRAY! Whistling.gif

A photo upload button that auto resizes the photo to the proper size in the thread. (difficult to see the pic sometimes, to much trouble to move out to other software)

How about a little panic button on all pages that will instatly throw up an impressive looking excel spreadsheet or important looking graphs and charts, as needed of course?

Edited by Baddog

Not sure that one's going to happen. As mentioned earlier in the thread, most browsers have a spell check built in. IE has a plugin for it even though it isn't a stock component. The inherent difficulty with spell checkers on a board like this is that they're relatively resource-intensive. Being that options already exist outside of the forum, it's hard to justify trying to implement something that could potentially be a drain on the site. Does that make sense?

a feature whereby when you access threads you have already visited, you have the option of going directly to "new posts" (since you last read it) pertaining to that thread....as opposed to having to go to the beginning, or the "last" post.

We already have this. If you click on the little square box just to the left of the thread it will take you to the last one you read on that thread.

LOL! I learned something new today. Now I'm wondering how many other features I don't use because I don't know about it. Whistling.gif

1. How about a thank you button. Right now we have the abbility to see post but for people coming in looking for advise it would be nice to know how many times the person giving you advise has helped others.

2. A deal like wake side ride were we can up load pics and discriptions of are babys. then add the abbility to search it.. for example illusion tower w/ wetsound 3 some. etc.

3. A boat of the month catagory. every one can vote every one can enter and the winner would get there boats photo on the main page for a month. Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gif for the boat of the month. I used to frequent correctcraftfan.com prior to joining this site and really enjoyed their boat of the month. It's always cool to see other members' boats and hear any stories that go with it.

Update. I've been working on the new board software on the test site & I like it! Based on the limited time that I've spent with it, here's what I think on the suggestions that were put forward.

• Skins - Definitely doable. May not happen right away, but this won't be an issue. We may restrict skin choices to paid members, be forwarned.
  • Downloads/wiki, library/papers section w/ability to download articles, docs, how-to's, etc. - Again, doable but most likely won't happen right away. I'm working with a new content management system & the learning process is slow.
  • Photo gallery similar to WSR - I think that we've found the answer on this one. What I think that we'll do is to complete the site upgrade, migration & then add this after we're set on the upgrade.
  • Classifieds section - Similar to the photo gallery & probably will come after the photo gallery.
  • Video embed options - Native support is built into the new board software. I'll just need to add custom bbcode as we find more sites to link from.
  • Auto-resize for attachments - Not sure yet how feasible this is.
  • Thank you system - Being that we can set the rep system to all positive, it may not be worth pursuing a further modification. If I see an easy one though I'll implement it.
  • Boat of the month - That's up to us, right?
  • Video how-to - Definitely doable with the new system.
  • Archive from WSR - I've been in contact with Spencer, but no word yet.
  • Restructure Crew on the Water forums (maybe break out according to region) - Will work on this as part of the upgrade (or maybe after).
  • Improved help section - Needs to be done after the upgrade.
  • Link to last 100 posts - Not sure on this one yet
  • Add a "Hot Topics" section that wouldn't come up in View New Content area - Working on it. I have 1 solution that isn't perfect, but would work if no other solution presents itself.
  • A way to view new posts from previous time online - Not sure yet if this is possible.
  • Better search function - Haven't had a chance to look at this yet.
  • Better way of organizing watersports forum - ??

I skipped right to the end of this thread, but I'd like to put in another vote for a better search function.

Give us back some Boolean syntax for AND'ing OR'ing and ignoring our searches so we can better find threads. It used to be here, but now it's gone!

BTW, at the risk of the praise coming last, Sweet! More stuff!!!!

Here's the issue with search:

Boolean....I love it. But, on the current & coming software it's limited to 4 characters or more. That's it, you can't go lower than that.

Current system.....you can go to 3, but it makes searching harder. So on a site like this where someone may want to search for "vlx" in titles, this is the only way to do it.

The compromise that I'm looking at is to try to implement a Google search box into the the search window, giving people the choice between the 2. So with the stock search function, you would be able to use Boolean syntax with all of the wild cards that Slurpee is talking about, & still have the Google box for searches that wouldn't work under that system. That's about the best that I've been able to come up with at this point.

Boolean....I love it. But, on the current & coming software it's limited to 4 characters or more. That's it, you can't go lower than that.

Current system.....you can go to 3, but it makes searching harder. So on a site like this where someone may want to search for "vlx" in titles, this is the only way to do it.

The compromise that I'm looking at is to try to implement a Google search box into the the search window, giving people the choice between the 2. So with the stock search function, you would be able to use Boolean syntax with all of the wild cards that Slurpee is talking about, & still have the Google box for searches that wouldn't work under that system. That's about the best that I've been able to come up with at this point.

Everyone can also just use google search advance search today at google.com and restrict the domain to themalibucrew.com, right? I know the off topic stuff isn't crawled any more, but the good stuff is.

Everyone can also just use google search advance search today at google.com and restrict the domain to themalibucrew.com, right? I know the off topic stuff isn't crawled any more, but the good stuff is.

You can do that, yes.

How about a little panic button on all pages that will instatly throw up an impressive looking excel spreadsheet or important looking graphs and charts, as needed of course?

ROFL.gif

or a TPS Report, ummmm....yeeeaaah....that's a good idea.

Okay, hot topic section.....

rts,

Unfortunately I can't see of a way to do it like that other forum. Having it be a completely separate section would be nice.

The best solution that I can come up with is to set up the new forum & have it be only accessible to a certain group. Now that certain group doesn't exist yet & after set up it would be transparent to the rest of the board (you wouldn't be able to search for this group in the members section for example). But anyone wanting access to this forum would have to ask for it, & would have this group added to their secondary group permissions. It could be set to not even show in the board index without that group in your secondary permissions. And without that, it won't show up in the View New Content area. But if you do have that permission mask, it will show up in the View New Content. So it's not a perfect solution in that it's all or nothing, but it's better than we have now. Thoughts?

How about a chance to see the new posts from the previous time on line. Often I go for new posts but don't get through them all before the stupid computer locks up for some unknown reason, then I get back on and the only new ones are from the point in time when the computer crapped out.

Okay, I just confirmed that this is actually possible with the new board. There is a setting within the user cp that allows you to show content that you haven't read vs. what's new since your last visit. So that should do it for you. :)

I'm going to continue to update the list on the first post of this thread, just to make it easier to find.

Would you guys mind giving me a list of sites that you would normally pull video to embed? There are a few that are built in (Google, Youtube, Myspace), but there are so many out there that it would be good to get a few more of the major ones in.

how about a method to search a geographical area for members?

i know there is a mash-up that can show those who have signed up for that mash-up but a more comprehensive (perhaps optional via "My Assistant") view would be great.

if that geo-search could be narrowed by discipline (slalom/bf/dark-side/etc.) that would be swell, too.

Edited by tvano