Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you like to add?

WakeGirl

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• areamike

• Pistol Pete

• NorCaliBu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2. Reputation Points - The ability to give someone positive or negative reputation based on the value of their posts. This is a way of helping newer members decide if 'advice' is solid or should be used carefully. Users can add "Reputation" to another user in each post. You can add positive or negative reputation.

Joe A - 30 Green Reputation Points - probably listen to what he said

Joe B - 3 Green Reputation Points - might be good, but not quite as strong

Joe C - 2 Red Reputation Points - Caution

On the surface this may seem like a good idea but how would you police the system? Someone may give great mechanical advice but pi$$ off members of a different politic "stripe" and those offended members could sabotage the advice givers rating. Sounds incredibly immature but so are a number of the comments in the political threads around here. Yes.gif

Plus1.gif Thanks for bringing this forward. Some red flags popped up when I read the idea but wasn't sure how to voice them.

Actually I like the "thank you button"

a feature whereby when you access threads you have already visited, you have the option of going directly to "new posts" (since you last read it) pertaining to that thread....as opposed to having to go to the beginning, or the "last" post.

We already have this. If you click on the little square box just to the left of the thread it will take you to the last one you read on that thread.

:Doh: Cool....thanks for teaching me something.

I don't know much, but what I do know I like to share.

I do like the idea of a rating system...Also like the idea of only positive. I have to think some folks would give negative ratings for continuously bad spelling OR YELLING AT PEOPLE WITH ALL CAPS.

Whistling.gif

I could see the ACLU NAACP ACORN ADA AARP etc... getting involved with this rating system if the wrong Person gets their feeling hurt. Lets do it.

Thumbup.gif

NorCal, I've been waiting for this day for a long time, I knew it would come along sooner or later. We agree on something!

I agree with this. My political views are shared by very few it seems, which is ok, but I'm not sure my opinions in this area would gain me many 'rep points'. At the same time I think I have some good advice to offer when it comes to riding, board selection, and things of this nature. (In turn, I know nothing about mechanics.) I think it would be confusing to have a Rep. Points system, unless there was some specific guidelines to it. Just my 2 cents......

Thumbup.gif There's always common ground...sometimes it's just hard to find. :lol:

Any way to have different "reps"? Mechanical Reputation. Gear Reputation. Techniques Reputation. Stereo/Electronics Reputation. Trailering Reputation...OK...never mind. :lol:

Thanks for bringing this forward. Some red flags popped up when I read the idea but wasn't sure how to voice them.

Actually I like the "thank you button"

Wow! Shocking.gif Props from two liberals in one thread. :lol: I must be slipping... ROFL.gif

Hey, any way to eliminate duplicate posts.

Now that's funny. Duplicate post checker. Thumbup.gif

Could we get a spell check button in fast reply and add reply? If there is one already, I don't see it.

Pete, what browser are you using?

F.F.

And, just this morning, I realized how to use the right button on my mouse when I see a word underlined with a dotted red line. It was even faster than asking Chrissy how to spell the word.

Could we get a spell check button in fast reply and add reply? If there is one already, I don't see it.

Hey, any way to eliminate duplicate posts Whistling.gif

What we really need is an auto re-sizer that gets rid of a half a page worth of quotes or, big pictures just for someone to say..."nice boat"

Pete, what browser are you using?

F.F.

And, just this morning, I realized how to use the right button on my mouse when I see a word underlined with a dotted red line. It was even faster than asking Chrissy how to spell the word.

Yes, FF has that built in & it's far easier/faster than any spell checker since it's live, as you type. IE has a similar utility called IE Spell, but it's a plugin that you have to install. Opera 10+ has it built in, & it looks like Safari has that functionality. That's why I just haven't seen the need to have one built into the site.

It looks like the new software automatically trims quotes down to the one that you're actually quoting. Does that make sense?

Clear as mudd...

What new software you going to? VBulletin?

It's an upgrade to 3.0 of IPB. I'm not quite up to doing a migration. :lol:

On the quoting, it works like this: say you're going to quote someone that has quoted someone else within their post. So their post would look like this:

test

test test

test test test

It strips everything out but the post itself that you quote, & the end result would look like this:

test test test

Make sense? :)

How about a chance to see the new posts from the previous time on line. Often I go for new posts but don't get through them all before the stupid computer locks up for some unknown reason, then I get back on and the only new ones are from the point in time when the computer crapped out.

martinarcher

I like the thanks button idea. Good stuff. Those that mentioned the reputation thing getting messed up by slamming people you don't agree with is a very valid pint. I think the positive thanks based system has much more merit. Thumbup.gif

I also like the idea of a members rides section similar to Cardomain.com or WSR.

The boat of the month would be cool. The winner could be thrown in a thread with some detailed pics of the boat and a list of mods. I also like the idea of throwing a good pic of their boat on the homepage for the following month.

I always thought it would be cool to break the watersports section into different sports (wake boarding/skiing/barefooting/kneeboarding). I know when I'm looking for advice on a certain sport I like reading through lots of other discussions to get ideas and help. I think you could spend a lot less time sorting through other threads your not quite as interested in. Dontknow.gif

It's an upgrade to 3.0 of IPB. I'm not quite up to doing a migration. :lol:

On the quoting, it works like this: say you're going to quote someone that has quoted someone else within their post. So their post would look like this:

test

test test

test test test

It strips everything out but the post itself that you quote, & the end result would look like this:

test test test

Make sense? :)

I'll take anything that will eliminate or at least cut way down what you're looking at, from me, right now.

BTW, nice avatar Tracie.

Finally thought of another thing to ask for...

A search that actually works, right now we can't search less than three characters, combinations of multiple words don't seem to work, etc. If this works I'm sure it will cut down on people asking the same questions over and over again (if they actually search first).

The odd thing is, sometimes I'm actually looking for one of my own posts, know exactly what I posted but I want the thread, and I can't find my own post. I end up scanning through my own posts or searching this site with google. The search function currently on the board is pretty bad.

martinarcher
Finally thought of another thing to ask for...

A search that actually works, right now we can't search less than three characters, combinations of multiple words don't seem to work, etc. If this works I'm sure it will cut down on people asking the same questions over and over again (if they actually search first).

The odd thing is, sometimes I'm actually looking for one of my own posts, know exactly what I posted but I want the thread, and I can't find my own post. I end up scanning through my own posts or searching this site with google. The search function currently on the board is pretty bad.

Agreed. I see new members asking questions and it takes me a good while to find my own posts to answer their questions with a link to an older thread from the past and I wrote them. :Doh: Maybe our memories are just that bad on what we wrote :lol: , but I do think the search need a bit of work.

It is pretty bad. As I understand it though, the limitation with the number of letters is at the server level, not with the software. Now with that said, I will look to see what options we have with the next version. It was on my list of things to look at but isn't something that I had gotten to.

One way to search is if you know that the post was made by a certain person, you can put their name in the member field to narrow it down by that much. You can also narrow it by forum, so between those things you can get pretty close if you have that type of information.

martinarcher
It is pretty bad. As I understand it though, the limitation with the number of letters is at the server level, not with the software. Now with that said, I will look to see what options we have with the next version. It was on my list of things to look at but isn't something that I had gotten to.

One way to search is if you know that the post was made by a certain person, you can put their name in the member field to narrow it down by that much. You can also narrow it by forum, so between those things you can get pretty close if you have that type of information.

Awesome. Thumbup.gif

I do use the advanced search features quite a lot - they help get you a little closer when you know details about who or where the post was made. If not, it can be tough.

I like the thanks button idea. Good stuff. Those that mentioned the reputation thing getting messed up by slamming people you don't agree with is a very valid pint. I think the positive thanks based system has much more merit. Thumbup.gif

I also like the idea of a members rides section similar to Cardomain.com or WSR.

The boat of the month would be cool. The winner could be thrown in a thread with some detailed pics of the boat and a list of mods. I also like the idea of throwing a good pic of their boat on the homepage for the following month.

I always thought it would be cool to break the watersports section into different sports (wake boarding/skiing/barefooting/kneeboarding). I know when I'm looking for advice on a certain sport I like reading through lots of other discussions to get ideas and help. I think you could spend a lot less time sorting through other threads your not quite as interested in. Dontknow.gif

I understand what you're saying. But....part of the problem with that is that each of those forums would really slow down in use, & you'd have a couple that might have a couple of new threads in a whole month. Not good. Maybe there are some ideas out there for how we can organize that forum a little better?

martinarcher

I understand what you're saying. But....part of the problem with that is that each of those forums would really slow down in use, & you'd have a couple that might have a couple of new threads in a whole month. Not good. Maybe there are some ideas out there for how we can organize that forum a little better?

True. I understand your point. I'm not sure how we could optimize it, but there has to be a way. Anyone else have an idea?

Can it be changed so that someone voting in a poll doesn't bring that thread back up to the top? I hate that. A thread should only come to the top if something new has been posted in it. Yes.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu