Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you like to add?

WakeGirl

Also, need the site to "auto-resize" photos we upload from hard drive to a post. I'm sick of having to re-size them all.

I think this is a good idea as well

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• areamike

• Pistol Pete

• NorCaliBu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, point taken. Well, at the very least a rep system will be part of the upgrade. I'm looking at a modification for doing a "thanks" system similar to Precentral's.

I think the rep system would be enough.. maybe no need for thanks just a thumbs up in the rep system.. the only thing I can see being different is that with the thanks system you can see who thanked you and in what post.

a feature whereby when you access threads you have already visited, you have the option of going directly to "new posts" (since you last read it) pertaining to that thread....as opposed to having to go to the beginning, or the "last" post.

We already have this. If you click on the little square box just to the left of the thread it will take you to the last one you read on that thread.

:Doh: Cool....thanks for teaching me something.

Some thoughts -

1. Papers - A "Papers" section where users could upload and / or download articles, documents, how-to's, etc.

A library system that would let you search by the author or title or some keywords that are input by the person uploading the file.

Title: How to Winterize a V-Drive

Author: Ace Mechanic

Keywords: Winterize, V-Drive

2. Reputation Points - The ability to give someone positive or negative reputation based on the value of their posts. This is a way of helping newer members decide if 'advice' is solid or should be used carefully. Users can add "Reputation" to another user in each post. You can add positive or negative reputation.

Joe A - 30 Green Reputation Points - probably listen to what he said

Joe B - 3 Green Reputation Points - might be good, but not quite as strong

Joe C - 2 Red Reputation Points - Caution

THis is similar to the thank yous, but in general, I really like the idea...

The new board software has a reputation system, but the "thanks" system that liljohn was talking about looks like it would need to be a modification. Is this something that people would really use?

Yes, yes and oh ya yes! when I first started coming to this site I took some advise from a member that i probably shouldnt have. It wasent untill later that i figured out most of said persons advice is a little off the wall..

My advice is the best.. in case you were still wondering

Yes, yes and oh ya yes! when I first started coming to this site I took some advise from a member that i probably shouldnt have. It wasent untill later that i figured out most of said persons advice is a little off the wall..

I'd love to hear more about that.

BTW, I vote for the "thanks" button. But, with me, could we have it automatically deposit $1 to my Pay Pal account for every question I answer. My advice is much better than Sac Rat's.

BTW, I vote for the "thanks" button. But, with me, could we have it automatically deposit $1 to my Pay Pal account for every question I answer. My advice is much better than Sac Rat's.

How about Reputation Bucks instead of points?

Pete you must be worth a couple K in Reputation bucks. Dontknow.gif

About the rep system? Or about liljohn taking bad advice?

No comment on Rat. His posts add, well, a certain levity to the forum. Biggrin.gif

It looks like the ability to embed video is native with the new board software. It comes with a modest selection of sites built in, but it doesn't look to be a problem to add more as we need to.

I've got a lead on a good possibility for what you guys are asking for in terms of the gallery. It wouldn't lay out quite like WSR was all on 1 page, but rather would be a section that people could go to & view pictures of your boat as well as details about the boat, its options, mods that you've done & accessories that you've added. I like what I see of it so far.

Facebook Connect....this is a feature of the new software that I've mentioned, but after digging deeper I'm having misgivings. It opens up a security hole that I really don't feel good about. I'll have to look into that further before making a decision on that one.

I think that many of the requests so far are very doable, but I may install the new software on the test site this weekend to see what's possible.

No comment on Rat. His posts add, well, a certain levity to the forum. Biggrin.gif

The bad advice.

I'd love to hear what he heard, and from who.

I know we're all guilty once in awhile for fooling around with someone and then nobody bothers to mention that we're fooling around. I just hope nothing bad happened if that was the case. Maybe Liljohn could PM me the story?

2. Reputation Points - The ability to give someone positive or negative reputation based on the value of their posts. This is a way of helping newer members decide if 'advice' is solid or should be used carefully. Users can add "Reputation" to another user in each post. You can add positive or negative reputation.

On the surface this may seem like a good idea but how would you police the system? Someone may give great mechanical advice but pi$$ off members of a different politic "stripe" and those offended members could sabotage the advice givers rating. Sounds incredibly immature but so are a number of the comments in the political threads around here. Yes.gif

The bad advice.

I'd love to hear what he heard, and from who.

I know we're all guilty once in awhile for fooling around with someone and then nobody bothers to mention that we're fooling around. I just hope nothing bad happened if that was the case. Maybe Liljohn could PM me the story?

I will have to plead no comment it wasen`t a big deal and there was no real harm done. I will leave it at that.

On the surface this may seem like a good idea but how would you police the system? Someone may give great mechanical advice but pi$$ off members of a different politic "stripe" and those offended members could sabotage the advice givers rating. Sounds incredibly immature but so are a number of the comments in the political threads around here. Yes.gif

*I think* that you can set it to where it's just a positive based system. Not completely sure on that though. The thanks system would be another way around it too. The thanks system is one that I really like the idea of.

EDIT: Yes, I just confirmed that you can set it to positive only. It also gives us as admins a lot of controls over daily quotas both ways & can narrow that down to a per group setting.

Maybe some local chapters, for Crew member events.

Can you elaborate on how you'd like that to look?

To brake up TheMalibucrew on and off the water to local area like the northwest, northeast, or broken up buy states. That way all the events are not mixed up for new member to find something in there area. Like this http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/...hapters-events/

I do like the idea of a rating system (have to wonder how I would be rated Dontknow.gif )

Don't know if it's possible, but you could consider turning off ratings on "off topic" threads, classified threads, etc. You shouldn't be able to rate someone based on political view; whether there dog is a golden retriever or pit bull, etc.

Also like the idea of only positive. I have to think some folks would give negative ratings for continuously bad spelling OR YELLING AT PEOPLE WITH ALL CAPS Biggrin.gif

Just a thought

Edited by CedarLakeSkier
I do like the idea of a rating system (have to wonder how I would be rated Dontknow.gif )

Don't know if it's possible, but you could consider turning off ratings on "off topic" threads, classified threads, etc. You shouldn't be able to rate someone based on political view; whether there dog is a golden retriever or pit bull, etc.

Also like the idea of only positive. I have to think some folks would give negative ratings for continuously bad spelling OR YELLING AT PEOPLE WITH ALL CAPS Biggrin.gif

Just a thought

I could see the ACLU NAACP ACORN ADA AARP etc... getting involved with this rating system if the wrong Person gets their feeling hurt. Lets do it Biggrin.gif

Here's what I would REALLY like to see.

I'm a member of another site (COPA...Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association). They have a "Hot Topics" section that is devoted to discussions of politics, religion, abortion, the president, the economy, the war...those types of things.

When you log on, unless you specifically go to the Hot Topics sections, these discussions are not shown. Any discussion of aforementioned topics are strictly prohibited from the 'normal' threads, even 'off topic'. Threads are not derailed, and you don't see thread after thread of the same people expressing their same views over and over. Those that wish can go to the Hot Topics section and beat each other up over there.

You must be a paying member to log on to the site to see how they do it, but I would be happy to share my login info privately with the admin of this site so you can see how they do it if you think it may be something of value to this site.

Just something I would like to see...that's all.

Edited by rts

I'm a member of another site (COPA...Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association). They have a "Hot Topics" section that is devoted to discussions of politics, religion, abortion, the president, the economy, the war...those types of things.

When you log on, unless you specifically go to the Hot Topics sections, these discussions are not shown. Any discussion of aforementioned topics are strictly prohibited from the 'normal' threads, even 'off topic'. Threads are not derailed, and you don't see thread after thread of the same people expressing their same views over and over. Those that wish can go to the Hot Topics section and beat each other up over there.

You must be a paying member to log on to the site to see how they do it, but I would be happy to share my login info privately with the admin of this site so you can see how they do it if you think it may be something of value to this site.

We (as admins) have discussed almost to death what to do about topics like that. One step that I took earlier this year was to take Off Topic out of the sections that could be viewed as a guest, making it only viewable by a registered member. Therefore, Google & other search spiders crawling the site wouldn't bring those topics into their search results. That helps, but your solution sounds like it takes that one step farther. I would like to see how something like that is run, because isolating it further from the rest of the site may be a good thing.

We (as admins) have discussed almost to death what to do about topics like that. One step that I took earlier this year was to take Off Topic out of the sections that could be viewed as a guest, making it only viewable by a registered member. Therefore, Google & other search spiders crawling the site wouldn't bring those topics into their search results. That helps, but your solution sounds like it takes that one step farther. I would like to see how something like that is run, because isolating it further from the rest of the site may be a good thing.

If I may be so bold, just pm me a password that you would like me to temporarily use on my COPA account, and I'll set it up and PM you my user name so you can take a look at the site. You can let me know when you and the other admins are done scoping out the site.

I don't think I will be violating any of their terms of use by giving you access to my account.

NorCal, I've been waiting for this day for a long time, I knew it would come along sooner or later. :) We agree on something!

I agree with this. My political views are shared by very few it seems, which is ok, but I'm not sure my opinions in this area would gain me many 'rep points'. At the same time I think I have some good advice to offer when it comes to riding, board selection, and things of this nature. (In turn, I know nothing about mechanics.) I think it would be confusing to have a Rep. Points system, unless there was some specific guidelines to it. Just my 2 cents......

I think that re-structuring the forums in the way that rts is talking about may go a long way to separating those issues. I understand what you're saying, it shouldn't influence a person's decision to give a rep point, but it will. As I said, I think that a "thanks" system may work better. But yes, either way there need to be guidelines.

I like that idea. I don't even want to see these hot topics anymore in my "view new posts" or off topic reviews (which has other good off topics). Out of sight, out of mind. I stopped spending as much time on the site just to avoid getting drawn in to the discussions, yet once in a while still do. Like passing a car crash - sometimes you look, then regret it :)

Edited by Addictedto6