Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What would you like to add?

WakeGirl

So I've mentioned it in passing over the past few months that we're approaching the time for a major upgrade to the site. This will be larger & more comprehensive than any upgrade that we've had to date. So there is no shortage of details to cover beforehand. :lol:

Anyway, an upgrade is always a nice time to implement new features & add-ons that we've been thinking of adding. 3.0 will bring its share of that all by itself, but we thought that maybe getting some feedback from all of you would be a good idea. Many of you use the site differently than we do, so we thought that a thread full of suggestions may prove useful.

Give me your top 3 things that you'd like to see added. Heck, if you really feel strongly about more than 3, give me the top whatever that you feel strongly about. I won't make any promises, but promise that I will try to look at all feasible options. We don't have a hard timetable for getting this done, since there are a few things that I'm waiting for IP to clean up. So we have some time to look at our options.

EDIT: Updated list of suggestions

• Skins - Definitely doable. May not happen right away, but this won't be an issue. We may restrict skin choices to paid members, be forwarned.
  • Downloads/wiki, library/papers section w/ability to download articles, docs, how-to's, etc. - Again, doable but most likely won't happen right away. I'm working with a new content management system & the learning process is slow.
  • Photo gallery similar to WSR - I think that we've found the answer on this one. What I think that we'll do is to complete the site upgrade, migration & then add this after we're set on the upgrade.
  • Classifieds section - Similar to the photo gallery & probably will come after the photo gallery.
  • Video embed options - Resolved, native support is built into the new board software. I'll just need to add custom bbcode as we find more sites to link from.
  • Auto-resize for attachments - Not sure yet how feasible this is.
  • Thank you system - Being that we can set the rep system to all positive, it may not be worth pursuing a further modification. If I see an easy one though I'll implement it. EDIT: Found a decent mod, will implement after the upgrade.
  • Boat of the month - That's up to us, right?
  • Video how-to - Definitely doable with the new system.
  • Archive from WSR - I've been in contact with Spencer, but no word yet.
  • Restructure Crew on the Water forums (maybe break out according to region) - Will work on this as part of the upgrade (or maybe after).
  • Improved help section - Needs to be done after the upgrade.
  • Link to last 100 posts - Not sure on this one yet
  • Add a "Hot Topics" section that wouldn't come up in View New Content area - Resolved.
  • A way to view new posts from previous time online - Resolved, native setting within the User CP on the new board
  • Better search function - Resolved.
  • Better way of organizing watersports forum - ??
  • Minimizing quotes - Resolved, native function within the new board software
  • More gallery space for paid subscribers
  • Ability for Chiefs to choose their title

Edited by WakeGirl
  • Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• areamike

• Pistol Pete

• NorCaliBu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would like to see a photo gallery like www.wakesideriders.com had.

A Classifieds sections like this forum www.dieseltruckresource.com

Maybe some local chapters, for Crew member events.

I would like to see an easy way to upload pictures to a thread (other than the current URL option). I have been with the crew now for a few months and have no idea how to do it.

I would like to see an easy way to upload pictures to a thread (other than the current URL option). I have been with the crew now for a few months and have no idea how to do it.

You just click the upload button, but I think you need to be a supporting member $

a feature whereby when you access threads you have already visited, you have the option of going directly to "new posts" (since you last read it) pertaining to that thread....as opposed to having to go to the beginning, or the "last" post.

Somehow get all the posts from MBO and WSR and put them into an "archives" section.

Also, need the site to "auto-resize" photos we upload from hard drive to a post. I'm sick of having to re-size them all.

a feature whereby when you access threads you have already visited, you have the option of going directly to "new posts" (since you last read it) pertaining to that thread....as opposed to having to go to the beginning, or the "last" post.

Plus1.gif

We already have this. If you click on the little square box just to the left of the thread it will take you to the last one you read on that thread.

1. How about a thank you button. Right now we have the abbility to see post but for people coming in looking for advise it would be nice to know how many times the person giving you advise has helped others.

2. A deal like wake side ride were we can up load pics and discriptions of are babys. then add the abbility to search it.. for example illusion tower w/ wetsound 3 some. etc.

3. A boat of the month catagory. every one can vote every one can enter and the winner would get there boats photo on the main page for a month. Thumbup.gif

1. How about a thank you button. Right now we have the abbility to see post but for people coming in looking for advise it would be nice to know how many times the person giving you advise has helped others.

2. A deal like wake side ride were we can up load pics and discriptions of are babys. then add the abbility to search it.. for example illusion tower w/ wetsound 3 some. etc.

3. A boat of the month catagory. every one can vote every one can enter and the winner would get there boats photo on the main page for a month. Thumbup.gif

Thumbup.gif

Ability to embed video from YouTube or vimeo.

I too would like to see this as a feature on the website.

Taking it a step further, I'd love to see a "video how to" in the resources/DIY section. It would be awesome to see videos of experienced members doing things like; winterizing, changing a prop, replacing an impeller, launching/retrieving their boat, setting up their ballast to wakesurf, etc etc etc etc.

Like they have on Precentral?

Like they have on Precentral?

That would be one site you could use for an example. Whistling.gif

I like all three of those liljon!

Automatic photo re-size during picture upload would be nice

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

Free beer and hot wings.

I think it's great the way it is, but the auto re-size would be nice, as well as video features. I really appreciate the site and the resources it provides. I actually dreamt about barefooting the other day.

Some thoughts -

1. Papers - A "Papers" section where users could upload and / or download articles, documents, how-to's, etc.

A library system that would let you search by the author or title or some keywords that are input by the person uploading the file.

Title: How to Winterize a V-Drive

Author: Ace Mechanic

Keywords: Winterize, V-Drive

2. Reputation Points - The ability to give someone positive or negative reputation based on the value of their posts. This is a way of helping newer members decide if 'advice' is solid or should be used carefully. Users can add "Reputation" to another user in each post. You can add positive or negative reputation.

Joe A - 30 Green Reputation Points - probably listen to what he said

Joe B - 3 Green Reputation Points - might be good, but not quite as strong

Joe C - 2 Red Reputation Points - Caution

Some thoughts -

1. Papers - A "Papers" section where users could upload and / or download articles, documents, how-to's, etc.

A library system that would let you search by the author or title or some keywords that are input by the person uploading the file.

2. Reputation Points - The ability to give someone positive or negative reputation based on the value of their posts. This is a way of helping newer members decide if 'advice' is solid or should be used carefully. Users can add "Reputation" to another user in each post. You can add positive or negative reputation.

THis is similar to the thank yous, but in general, I really like the idea...

Some thoughts -

The new board software has a reputation system, but the "thanks" system that liljohn was talking about looks like it would need to be a modification. Is this something that people would really use?

Some thoughts -

The new board software has a reputation system, but the "thanks" system that liljohn was talking about looks like it would need to be a modification. Is this something that people would really use?

Yes, yes and oh ya yes! when I first started coming to this site I took some advise from a member that i probably shouldnt have. It wasent untill later that i figured out most of said persons advice is a little off the wall..