Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX test ride

SkiingPT

I test drove my first Malibu today. It was 05 VLX wakesetter. It was a nice boat but had a couple of issues I wanted to run by you guys. First, there was a couple of inches of water in the hull that wouldn't bilge. Owner said it had a bad overflow fitting which was allowing water to come in. This is being replaced. Second, it made a whining noise when place in reverse. Owner said it has always sounded that way. Is this normal? Third, the boat was real slow to plane out. 2 of ballasts were full and wedge was down. Should it be hard for it to plane like this. Other than these issues the boat ran great and was in great condition. They are asking 32000. I'm also going to drive an 05 sunscape tomorrow. It has a brand new hammerhead with a full warranty because of a bad winterization. No ballasts on the boat but does have the wedge. I'm not a boarder but my kids are starting to learn. Asking 29000? I've learned that Malibu owners are the most passionate and informed boat owners I know. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Second.....whine in reverse is totally normal.

Third.....probably depends on what prop he had on the boat. If you can get that info along with what motor, we can give more info on that.

Both sound like good prices, it will depend on how much you like to ski. The Sunscape will be moderately better for that.

First, there was a couple of inches of water in the hull that wouldn't bilge. Owner said it had a bad overflow fitting which was allowing water to come in. This is being replaced.

A couple of inches seems like a little more than normal but I guess it depends on where the bilge pump is mounted. Did you test the bilge pump to make sure it worked?

Second, it made a whining noise when place in reverse. Owner said it has always sounded that way. Is this normal?

Normal. Don't worry about it. Everyone always asks what that noise is the first time they hear an inboard put into reverse.

Third, the boat was real slow to plane out. 2 of ballasts were full and wedge was down. Should it be hard for it to plane like this.

It very well could be propped wrong. Depending on what prop is on the boat it could struggle a little bit. The wedge is supposedly the equivalent of 1000 lbs plus the ballast tanks...that's a lot of extra weight. Finding out what prop is on it would answer that question. As far as what prop should be on it??? Dontknow.gif I'm a slalom skier :lol: someone else will have to answer that for you. Yes.gif

I'm also going to drive an 05 sunscape tomorrow. It has a brand new hammerhead with a full warranty because of a bad winterization. No ballasts on the boat but does have the wedge. I'm not a boarder but my kids are starting to learn. Asking 29000?

All things being equal...the extra power of the HammerHead would be nice but it will use more fuel and they seem to be louder. For a family boat I would take a monsoon correctly propped. Thumbup.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu

Also, if they had the rear ballast tanks full but the mid & front empty along with the wedge deployed, that would make it incredibly hard to plane. That boat needs weight up front in a bad way. The Sunscape won't be much different in that regard, but again you need to be aware of what prop the boat is using to be sure of a fair comparison.

First, there was a couple of inches of water in the hull that wouldn't bilge. Owner said it had a bad overflow fitting which was allowing water to come in. This is being replaced.

A couple of inches seems like a little more than normal but I guess it depends on where the bilge pump is mounted. Did you test the bilge pump to make sure it worked?

Second, it made a whining noise when place in reverse. Owner said it has always sounded that way. Is this normal?

Normal. Don't worry about it. Everyone always asks what that noise is the first time they hear an inboard put into reverse.

Third, the boat was real slow to plane out. 2 of ballasts were full and wedge was down. Should it be hard for it to plane like this.

It very well could be propped wrong. Depending on what prop is on the boat it could struggle a little bit. The wedge is supposedly the equivalent of 1000 lbs plus the ballast tanks...that's a lot of extra weight. Finding out what prop is on it would answer that question. As far as what prop should be on it??? Dontknow.gif I'm a slalom skier :lol: someone else will have to answer that for you. Yes.gif

I'm also going to drive an 05 sunscape tomorrow. It has a brand new hammerhead with a full warranty because of a bad winterization. No ballasts on the boat but does have the wedge. I'm not a boarder but my kids are starting to learn. Asking 29000?

All things being equal...the extra power of the HammerHead would be nice but it will use more fuel and they seem to be louder. For a family boat I would take a monsoon correctly propped. Thumbup.gif

Excellent answers. I wouldn’t have thought about the prop. I was just thinking no front ballast.

Drain all the balast, raise the wedge and give it another test drive. Did you ski behind it? You definitely should. You don't want to drop that kind of cash and then find out that you hate the pull behind it.

The prop has a lot to do w/ it. I'm willing to bet the Acme 537 was the stock prop, which I promptly removed and added an OJ 468. If only the rear ballast tanks and the wedge deployed it'll be hard to plane out no matter which prop was on the boat. I wouldn't consider a VLX w/o front ballast, as that is the most important.

All you guys are spot on!

1. The several inches of water in the bilge is normal. My '05 VLX has never had a dry bilge.

2. My boat has always had the reverse whine.

3. and M-dude is right. the stock prop was the 537, which is not the best prop for the VLX. A lot of folks are also running the OJ 475.

Edited by woody

The Bilge pump in my 05 VLX is a pretty dumb location... It is at the very back of the boat which is not the lowest point at all and I can never get that last couple of inches out through the bilge pump... You will notice the light turn on as you start off and all the water rushes to the back causing the bilge to activate automatically... They must have changed the bilge pump location in newer models because the 07 I had was located in the center compartment which seems like the lowest point...

$32,000 seems like a great price for an 05 though... Good Luck

the 05 I test drove a few weeks ago made the same sound in reverse, and the front ballast would not work so it never planed out with the wedge down.

Question, I too am looking for an 04-06. I have not seen an 05 near 32K with a trailer. Only one I found close to that with a trailer was 35k and it was beat all to heck and the radio and ballasts hardly worked. Is that price with or without a trailer and what were the hours.

That was with trailer. The hours were around 220. Boat was in very good condition. You can find it on boattradeer in Blairsville, GA. I opted to go with the Sunscape with a new Hammerheead for around same price. If you can't locate the boat, let me know and I'll send you contact info.

That was with trailer. The hours were around 220. Boat was in very good condition. You can find it on boattradeer in Blairsville, GA. I opted to go with the Sunscape with a new Hammerheead for around same price. If you can't locate the boat, let me know and I'll send you contact info.

Well congrats on the purchase!!! Now show it off and get some pics up Fingerwag.gif

Well congrats on the purchase!!! Now show it off and get some pics up Fingerwag.gif

Plus1.gifWelcome.gif

Had it out all week. Took some pics and will upload as soon as I can figure out how. It's back at the dealer to have tower/accessories installed. Picked up from Brett at Overboard in Knoxville. Great group of guys. Can't wait to pick it up next week.

Thanks,

I had test driven that same boat in Blairesville boat. That was actually the one I was referring to that wouldnt plane because the wedge was down and a couple of ballasts didnt work including the front. When I looked at it they were asking 35 not 32. When I saw it the tower speakers werent working, neither were half the ballasts and there was serious fading in the gelcoat and a hole in a seat. 32 sounds like a better price for it, at 35 I didnt like it, would reconsider because with a couple grand of work and polish it would be a good boat. Engine seemed good

Thanks,

I had test driven that same boat in Blairesville boat. That was actually the one I was referring to that wouldnt plane because the wedge was down and a couple of ballasts didnt work including the front. When I looked at it they were asking 35 not 32. When I saw it the tower speakers werent working, neither were half the ballasts and there was serious fading in the gelcoat and a hole in a seat. 32 sounds like a better price for it, at 35 I didnt like it, would reconsider because with a couple grand of work and polish it would be a good boat. Engine seemed good

She had it listed at 35 but told me should would take 32. I drove the boat the week before last. She was supposed to be having the ballasts fixed. I thought it was a good boat, but the gel coat was faded. I didn't really try to negotiate with her. You might be able get it for a little less. Good luck on your hunt. We just got ours off of Brett at overboard watersports in Knoxville. I would highly recommend him as well.