Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

CATS what does this stand for..

VLX04

short version,

"A catalytic converter (colloquially, "cat" or "catcon") is a device used to reduce the toxicity of emissions from an internal combustion engine"

It's funny. Teak surfing is illegal because people passed out doing it.... and possibly die from it.

Wake surfing though..... legal, and surfers say they don't have issues with exhaust fumes. Yet FAE does pretty well saying that they reduce exhaust fumes exposed to the rider. And now Cats are being installed on boats, soon on ALL boats, partly because of the surfing craze & the need to make sure exhaust is not exposed to the rider.

But wait, I thought exhaust wasn't a problem..... hmmmmm......

It's funny. Teak surfing is illegal because people passed out doing it.... and possibly die from it.

Wake surfing though..... legal, and surfers say they don't have issues with exhaust fumes. Yet FAE does pretty well saying that they reduce exhaust fumes exposed to the rider. And now Cats are being installed on boats, soon on ALL boats, partly because of the surfing craze & the need to make sure exhaust is not exposed to the rider.

But wait, I thought exhaust wasn't a problem..... hmmmmm......

the exhaust isn's necessarily a "bad" level of exposure for a particular rider, but it is a bad thing for the overall environment. That is why Cats were installed in motor vehicles decades ago, the boating industry has been exempt from the laws. Outboard motors used to be the worst polluters of all but that has changed dramatically in the past few years.

What years? How do you know if you have one?

Malibu actually had them in 07 on the monsoon, in 08 they were put on the Hammerhead

I can attest to that. My '07 VLX has the Monsoon with ETX/CAT.

I have read many studies, both independent and by the EPA, that show a wakesurfer is not exposed to that high a concentration of CO (not enough to be overly concerned, anyway). The most danger is to those riding in the rear seats of the boat while the boat is idling or going very slowly. The air turbulence over the boat actually draws the exhaust back into the boat. The highest concentration of CO is toward the back of the boat, not behind it.

I am thankful that I decided on a boat with a catalytic converter. According to Indmar's claims, it reduces CO emissions by 98% and all HC emissions by over 80%.

What years? How do you know if you have one?

Malibu actually had them in 07 on the monsoon, in 08 they were put on the Hammerhead

I can attest to that. My '07 VLX has the Monsoon with ETX/CAT.

I have read many studies, both independent and by the EPA, that show a wakesurfer is not exposed to that high a concentration of CO (not enough to be overly concerned, anyway). The most danger is to those riding in the rear seats of the boat while the boat is idling or going very slowly. The air turbulence over the boat actually draws the exhaust back into the boat. The highest concentration of CO is toward the back of the boat, not behind it.

I am thankful that I decided on a boat with a catalytic converter. According to Indmar's claims, it reduces CO emissions by 98% and all HC emissions by over 80%.

Thats right.

So actually the most dangerous spot on your boat while wakesuring is on/around the sunpad.

Ragboy over at Wake9.com did an extensive study of CO concentrations. They found that the rider is exposed to very very little CO.

Thats right.

So actually the most dangerous spot on your boat while wakesuring is on/around the sunpad.

Ragboy over at Wake9.com did an extensive study of CO concentrations. They found that the rider is exposed to very very little CO.

Yup. I read the same report. Very informative. Here's the thread on WW with all the info and links.

I do agree that a surfer is not in harms way as far as fumes go. But in my opinion the video is semi-biased because it is being endorsed by FAE. My experience with FAE as well as Sideswipe has just enlightened me to the fact that these methods purely divert the CO were the CAT system reduces the total output

• 2 months later...
07 vride 320 does it come with CATS?

No.gif In 2007, only the Monsoon had CATs. The 320hp motor was the LCR and did not have CATs.

Edited by NorCaliBu

07 vride 320 does it come with CATS?

I'm going to say no on the 320 having cats. When I was searching for my new BU and looking at used it was the 350hp that had the cats.

You can thank you politicians whom decided that global warming will be fixed by this…They made this change because of the cases of CO2 related deaths, which in reality were stupid people teak surfing and the most notable case in CA the minor wasn’t wearing a life vest. Then they also felt the need to add stickers all over the boat to tell me that CO2 is dangerous. Really the moron that would let his kid surf w/o a vest is going to read that?? Oh that’s right gov’t knows best and we are going to burn next year because the earth is sooo hot….Oh wait that’s a good thing!!

Okay back to the original question, a catalytic converter colloquially, "cat" or "catcon".

I'm going to say no on the 320 having cats. When I was searching for my new BU and looking at used it was the 350hp that had the cats.

You are right, the LCR does not have Catalyst Exhaust.

-Paul