Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Where do you step?

RedOwl

So here's a stupid question from a stupid person (me):

When you get into your v-drive off a dock, where do you step?

The same seat, every time?

The swim platform and then climb over the sun pad?

The closest seat to you?

Do you jump to the floor, avoiding the seats?

Etc?

For those of you who step on seats, how do you keep them clean/not beat up on the cushions?

I'm just curious to see if any practices are more common than others.

Edited by RedOwl
So here’s a stupid question from a stupid person (me):

When you get into your v-drive off a dock, where do you step?

The same seat, every time?

The swim platform and then climb over the sun pad?

The closest seat to you?

Do you jump to the floor, avoiding the seats?

Etc?

For those of you who step on seats, how do you keep them clean/not beat up on the cushions?

I’m just curious to see if there are any common practices.

Oooh, this has been covered before but we can stir this pot again. I am pretty anal about things pertaining to my boat but I just never get worked up about where people board from. Bow, back, sunpad, cushions, or straight to the floor, it doesn't matter, although most of my cushion seams are border line ready to blow out so I should be. I'm not even anal about wearing footwear in the boat. But don't spill ice from the cooler on the floor and let it sit and melt Fingerwag.gif don't know why, it just bothers me!!!!!!

Oooh, this has been covered before but we can stir this pot again. I am pretty anal about things pertaining to my boat but I just never get worked up about where people board from. Bow, back, sunpad, cushions, or straight to the floor, it doesn't matter, although most of my cushion seams are border line ready to blow out so I should be. I'm not even anal about wearing footwear in the boat. But don't spill ice from the cooler on the floor and let it sit and melt Fingerwag.gif don't know why, it just bothers me!!!!!!

So someone can walk into your boat with their flip flops on after they just stepped in Goose crap? Tease2.gif

Only bare feet allowed in my boat and you better not have any crap on them. Also, you can step on my gunnel slip pad and then onto the carpet. No stepping on seats unless absolutely necessary. My passenger seat already has a seam ready to pop from having to step on it to walk over to the open bow.... Mad.gif

Edited by areamike

So someone can walk into your boat with their flip flops on after they just stepped in Goose crap? Tease2.gif

That blends right into my grey carpet, can't even see it.

Depends who it is, I might ask my family or close friends to take them off. But any other guests, no I wouldn't say anything to them about where to load the boat and to take off their shoes. I want them to be comfortable and if their not used to boating that might not help their cause.

I am prepared to be alone on my opinion, I'm used to it!!! :)

Edited by nemire12

Shoes off and in hand, those boarding from the dock either step on the back pad or the bow cushions, depends on the driver and water conditions.

I don't have any seams that look in danger of splitting.

high freeboard boat like a V drive, usually the gunnel pad, then the back seat, especially if the water is low. Low freeboard like a Response, I usually either step right from the dock to the floor, or from the gunnel pad to the floor.

Closest spot of the boat to the dock (usually pick people up at the bow and lay a towel down) and shoes in hand :) with clean feet of course, I've had people walking around the docks bare footed and are ready to jump in "WAIT" jump on the platform and wash them off "PLEASE"

I don't feel like cleaning something that could have been avoided Whistling.gif

I have a dark blue throw rug that I put on the seat closest to the dock or wherever people are stepping into the boat.

I've also thought about setting up one of the back seats so it's like a Nautique, flip it over & it would have Traxx pad on it & be good for people to step on.

That blends right into my grey carpet, can't even see it.

Depends who it is, I might ask my family or close friends to take them off. But any other guests, no I wouldn't say anything to them about where to load the boat and to take off their shoes. I want them to be comfortable and if their not used to boating that might not help their cause.

I am prepared to be alone on my opinion, I'm used to it!!! :)

I board with my shoes off, most of my guests watch and do same. That said I am not real anal about boarding the boat though I do request people use an old towel when we are mored in the GA clay. that red tends to stay around a while.

I do a "Matrix" style layout backflip and land in the center of the boat in fighting position Thumbup.gif Kidding of course, but I really got a kick out of visualizing someone doing that. I don't have a V-drive, but in my DD it's no shoes and step from the gunnel pad to the floor.

Wherever. My old boat was a '96 sunsetter, so I would just jump in... sometimes a little to far and hitting the engine cover :) My new VLX... I haven't been in it enough. Demoed it a couple times, and after buying it, it went straight to storage.

Shoes on. Shoes off. Shoes in hand. Why even boat if you have to have shoes with you. Who’s going to wear shoes then take them off to get in the water and then put them on again when they get back in the boat? Oh, I shouldn’t ask that because someone out there does just that. Oh well. If a guest has shoes on I just ask they be careful with the vinyl.

I just hop in, push off the dock about 15' then say come on over! OK, well I am not that tightly wound. I have started putting a towel on the seat in the corner. So it is either step on the towel that is on the seat, or the bow cushion, or the swim step and dip your feet to rinse them off. No shoes. No stepping on gel coat.

I just hop in, push off the dock about 15' then say come on over! OK, well I am not that tightly wound. I have started putting a towel on the seat in the corner. So it is either step on the towel that is on the seat, or the bow cushion, or the swim step and dip your feet to rinse them off. No shoes. No stepping on gel coat.

My boat stays in the lift most of the times and no shoes. The only exception is if someone is helping me launch the boat or put it back on the trailer, that person can bring shoes in hand. Less shoes me less things to trip over or store.

My boat is in the driveway now the lift is out and I have the corner cushion out so when I hop in the boat I hop on to the floor under where the cushsion would be.

Just get on board with shoes in hand! We're burning daylight!!

Yes, just get in and let's go. Although I simply cannot understand why anyone would want to bring shoes with. But whatever, let's just go, my mind is on hittin' it hard on the water.

They may have...ugly feet, and be embarrassed by them.

Yeah, what if your feet looked like this?

post-8316-1253881782_thumb.jpg

Yeah, what if your feet looked like this?

Then I'd be supplying you with a good pair of work boots when you got on my boat!

quote name='MalibuTime' post='338002' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:16 PM']INo stepping on gel coat.

This is actually a big one for me. I've seen a lot of near misses and had my share as well, from someone stepping on wet, well waxed gel-coat. The more I think about it, I pretty much just make sure a foot doesn't go on the gel-coat, anywhere else is good. Don't want blood in the boat.

On a big lake, shoes always go with me. Had an wakeboard incident where the guest cracked their head open and needed to go to the hospital. We headed to the closest marina and only a few people had sandals with them, so rarely do I make people leave personal belongings behind (unless at a private lake where you usually only have 1 dock or is within walking distance). Also, if there is ever a need to go to shore, its nice to put shoes on.

Other than that, I prefer people not stepping all over the seats when the board, but it's a safety issue and someone feels most comfortable stepping on a seat I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'd rather lose a seat seam than someone stepping on the side of the boat and slipping. It's just a boat. Anything that breaks can be replaced.

Yea, I don't leave anything sitting on the dock. Because it probably won't be there when we get back. And who knows where we'll stop & need them.

So all shoes & sandals go on board, under the back seat on the passenger side. It's pretty easy to ask people to kick their shoes off & stash them in there. Then we pull them all out when we get back.

As for stepping on the glass.... I just have Traxx pad setup on the sides for people to step on. It's an obvious target for anyone getting on/off the boat.