Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

04' 21 Sunscape LSV vs. 03' 23 Sunscape LSV

dmoney

I currently own a 92 Ski Nautique open bow. My 9 year old boy slaloms, and has been skiing for 3 years. My 7 year old boy was real close to getting out of the hole on one ski this summer, but he was only out a couple times this summer. Have a 4 year old boy too. He'll be skiing this next summer.

My wife HATES my Nautique because theres no room, no storage, and can't take anyone out. Even with an open bow, she's right. But we are more geared to athletics, so we like to do recreational stuff on the boat. I am a slalom skier (recreational), ski at about 36 mph, at 28 feet off (sweet spot on the wake :)). My wife slalom skis, too, but she's pretty fair weather, as in it needs to be HOT. Butter water is not enough for her. I'm getting older so I'm starting to do more wakeboarding, wakeskating, and would like to possibly wake surf down the line (thoogh the surfing is not a MUST, just a thought).

So that describes us pretty well. So I am set on selling the ski boat and getting a V-Drive. I've always wanted a Malibu (wanted a Response last time around, but didn't find one at the right price). So I'm set on getting a 2002-2004 Sunscape. I have driven and skied behind a 2004 Sunscape 21 LSV that is for sale. No extras other than a wedge. Very clean boat. I really liked the boat. I skied at about 36 mph at 15-off, and I thought the wake was pretty decent, almost "soft"? The boat has a 340 hp motor, 160 hours and a really nice BoatMate matching blue tandem trailer with swing tongue and surge breaks, spare tire. Mooring cover with cinch. The trailer is immaculate as well.

I'm also looking at a 2003 Sunscape 23 LSV that is for sale. I cannot see, drive or ski it in person. It is TOO FAR away. It also has a wedge. Added is a heater, bimini top, docking lights, and custom snap covers for bow and cockpit. It has a 325 hp motor (this suprises me, but he insists). Only 100 hours. Also very clean. Has a SMP trailer. Looks like a fine trailer, but not nearly as nice. No spare, doesn't appear to have surge breaks but I could be wrong. Not a swing tongue. Basic white trailer.

I need HELP! I've got two good choices, but are different yet the same. I know the 23 is bigger and holds more people, but the 21 is already WAY bigger than my last. It seems the seating and room is pretty close. The 2003 23 foot is being offered for $2,000 less, but I "think" it is worth maybe $1,600 more (although that was assuming a 335 hp engine -- how does it have a 325 hp engine in 2003???).

Well, there's the rub. We don't live on the water, so we'd like to be able to take the neighbors/friends out on the boat sometimes. So 8 or 9 is not out of the question. Check that -- 4 adults and 4 or 5 small kids...of course, kids grow :)

But skiability is a pretty big factor, too.

I know, it can't be all things for all things. There is no V-Drive Response that holds 13 people :(

I also will likely need to store the boat in my garage (though I will likely put on a lift at a marina), and it's just under 24 feet deep.

I have a 21' LSV with the 320HP engine, family of 5 + DIL + BF + GF + + + on occasion.

We have enough room when it is 6 or 7 of us (all adult age), and a few weeks ago at the lake had several trips out with 9 on board.

The boat has lots of storage in the rear side panels, under the seats and in the floor. Wakeboards will fit in the rear side next to the engine,

skis in the floor, tubes and life jackets store in the other side in the rear.

The boat is easy to pull and with the platform removed fits in my garage, a plus.

With the 21 and a 340, you will have plenty of power.

One suggestion - get a few large rectangular plastic storage tubs for the rear lockers. We found a size that just fits into this area (about 14" x 14" x 30" I think). They collect a lot of water the gear that gets tossed in there and it keeps the floor pretty dry.

My son skis in the ski club at Purdue, and they have a new Nautique every year. My LSV isn't quite the same wake, but close enough that he gets good practice with me (36 MPH). We usually have driver and observer, and then if there are more people we try to put them up front. People distribution makes a huge differnce in the wake. We also get a decent beginner wakeboard wake with putting everyone inthe back seats. (No wedge - yet Whistling.gif )

Good luck with your choice. You will love whichever one you end up with!

Well, there's the rub. We don't live on the water, so we'd like to be able to take the neighbors/friends out on the boat sometimes. So 8 or 9 is not out of the question. Check that -- 4 adults and 4 or 5 small kids...of course, kids grow :)

But skiability is a pretty big factor, too.

I know, it can't be all things for all things. There is no V-Drive Response that holds 13 people :(

I also will likely need to store the boat in my garage (though I will likely put on a lift at a marina), and it's just under 24 feet deep.

Sometimes is one thing, but frequently or very often is another. The '02 23' isn't that much bigger in that it won't hold that many more people much more comfortably. You have to get into an '04 23' before you'll see a big difference between a 21' & 23', the '03 is somewhere in between. The 21' will do fine for occasional larger crews.

You'll also have a much easier time fitting the 21' in the garage. Depending on the trailer, the 23' may not fit at all.

I just purchased a 04 21 Sunscape with the 340 monsoon (200 hours). We love this boat - storage, wide range of activities, and entertainment.

SKI - My friend has a Moomba Outback ski boat, he says the wake is better on the Malibu. This was with 3 adults out in the morning. I has a good ski wake. Probably not perfect but darn good.

ENTERTAIN - We have had 11 on this boat for a full day of fun, 6 adults and 5 kids. Crowded a bit but not horrible. I even skied that day. Jerked me right out of the water, the wake was a bit big, but just had to get out there for a run.

STORAGE - even with 11, we found room to jam all the goodies in there.

It is just a great boat.

Unless you have a large crew that you take with you pretty regularly (more than 7), get the 21'. It will ski far better than the 23', plus in '04 the addition of Gorilla Fins help with handling.

post-371-1253729876.gif

thanks for all the imput. Seeing as though I was very happy with the 2004 Sunscape 21 LSV that I saw, and liked skiing behind it, I think it is the answer. I agree that the 2003 23 footer is not that much bigger for holding people, and I've got to believe that the hull is better on the 21 footer for skiing.

Now I just need to find one for the right price Whistling.gif

Edited by dmoney

Don't know if you still are looking for a boat but I think I have one that fits your needs. We are a family that started out as strictly slalom skiers and then picked up wakeboarding, wakesurfing and wakeskating. Our first tournament boat was a Tige 2150 direct drive. It had a great slalom wake but no so good for boarding etc. We then purchased new our 2003 Malibu Sunscape 23 LSV with a wakesetter package. It fit all our needs - good slalom wake and good wakeboard/wakeskate and wakesurf wake. I respectfully disagree with the opinions of some of the other posters regarding the difference in size between the 23' and 21'. The 23 is not only longer, it ihas 102 beam vs 94" on the 21. I was out in a 2006 21' VRide this weekend with 8 people aboard. Although it had decent room, it was way more cramped then our 23'. It is my understanding that the 2006 Vride is the same size as the 2004 21 sunscape. As for the wake, although I did not slalom, my wife did and in her opinion the wake on our 23 was significantly better than the 21.

We are now selling our 23 lsv to buy a 2009 Wakesetter 23 LSV with the diamond hull.

Our 23 is fully loaded. Here is a list of some of the features:

375 HP HAMMERHEAD engine

240 hours

Perfect Pass Pro

Polished Skylon Swoop Tower

Skylon Defcon II Tower Spreakers

2 Skylon Batracks (for 4 boards)

1 surfboard rack (2 boards)

Depth finder/water temp/air temp/time instrument cluster

Flip-up bolster seat

Hot/cold shower

Custom stereo (JVC deck, JVC wired and wireless remotes, 12 inch powered sub, 1000 watt amp, 6 inboard speakers)

Manual WEDGE

2 port heater

4 flush mount cleats

Pop-up bow light

Stainless steel rub rail

Stainless head/docking lights

New custom towable boat cover with separate Mooring cover

Fiberglass swim platform

Matching bimini

Extreme Malibu Tandem Axle Trailer with spare tire

This boat is loaded and in pristine condition.

Always garaged

Just had its 250 hour service at a cost of almost $800 - new impeller, plugs, cap, rotar, plug wires etc. . .

$33,000 or best offer. Call 775-846-9522 or email [email protected]

Don't know if you still are looking for a boat but I think I have one that fits your needs. We are a family that started out as strictly slalom skiers and then picked up wakeboarding, wakesurfing and wakeskating. Our first tournament boat was a Tige 2150 direct drive. It had a great slalom wake but no so good for boarding etc. We then purchased new our 2003 Malibu Sunscape 23 LSV with a wakesetter package. It fit all our needs - good slalom wake and good wakeboard/wakeskate and wakesurf wake. I respectfully disagree with the opinions of some of the other posters regarding the difference in size between the 23' and 21'. The 23 is not only longer, it ihas 102 beam vs 94" on the 21. I was out in a 2006 21' VRide this weekend with 8 people aboard. Although it had decent room, it was way more cramped then our 23'. It is my understanding that the 2006 Vride is the same size as the 2004 21 sunscape. As for the wake, although I did not slalom, my wife did and in her opinion the wake on our 23 was significantly better than the 21.

We are now selling our 23 lsv to buy a 2009 Wakesetter 23 LSV with the diamond hull.

Our 23 is fully loaded. Here is a list of some of the features:

375 HP HAMMERHEAD engine

240 hours

Perfect Pass Pro

Polished Skylon Swoop Tower

Skylon Defcon II Tower Spreakers

2 Skylon Batracks (for 4 boards)

1 surfboard rack (2 boards)

Depth finder/water temp/air temp/time instrument cluster

Flip-up bolster seat

Hot/cold shower

Custom stereo (JVC deck, JVC wired and wireless remotes, 12 inch powered sub, 1000 watt amp, 6 inboard speakers)

Manual WEDGE

2 port heater

4 flush mount cleats

Pop-up bow light

Stainless steel rub rail

Stainless head/docking lights

New custom towable boat cover with separate Mooring cover

Fiberglass swim platform

Matching bimini

Extreme Malibu Tandem Axle Trailer with spare tire

This boat is loaded and in pristine condition.

Always garaged

Just had its 250 hour service at a cost of almost $800 - new impeller, plugs, cap, rotar, plug wires etc. . .

$33,000 or best offer. Call 775-846-9522 or email [email protected]

The beam is 97 on a 2003 Sunscape 23 LSV. It is 1.5 feet longer and 4" wider beam than the 21 footer. Again, a different hull as well.

If she skied behind a 2006 Vride, I'm not suprised. Not the same hull as a 2004 Sunscape 21 LSV. Much better slalom hull on the 2004 Sunscape 21 than the 2006 Vride.

My other concern is how much heavier your boat is with all the options. That is adding significant weight, and since I ski, I don't need any of it. It's just making a bigger wake and making it harder to tow. My vehicle is rated to tow 4500 lbs. I'm right up against it with a basic 23 footer. I'm clearly over it with all the options.

• 3 years later...

I just bought a 21 lsv I love it with the wedge down it has a better wake then my buddies moomba with ballast , Im sure the 23 is good but if you cant see it up close Id go with the one you can probably, Plus the garage size is huge to mine we have to take off the swim platform , lower tower ,and it has the fold in tongue and it just barely fits in my garage, I think my garae is around 23ft deep maybe little less and the garage doors are ten by ten