Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help w/ buying 04 LSV 23 WS W/ No Ballast

mk_deuce

I am possibly going to buy an 04 LSV Wakesetter 23 in exc shape with under 200 hours for a pretty decent price. I am really not that familiar with the Malibus as Ive been looking at 07 Moomba Mobius for around the same price. My question is, this boat does not come with perfect pass or any factory/aftermarket ballast which is almost the deal breaker for me. I plan on getting into wakesurfing and I need to know if just the factory wedge and maybe I would buy a 750 sack on the surf side would do the trick or am I gonna have to get way more weight than that? I prolly will have a total of 4 or 5 people on the boat when we are trying to surf. I have never seen the fillable sacks or the tsunnami pumps that most use. How long would it usually take to fill/empty the 750 and is it a pain the a$$ to do verse the push button factory type? If I've got to buy a bunch more sacks and give up a bunch of storage I don't know if this boat will be for me. I know the mobius have push button ballast so that is one thing that I like about them. Any other advise about this year/model in general let me know. Thanks from a total newb.

As Ronnie eluded to, an 04 Wakesetter LSV with no ballast sounds very fishy. As far as I know, all Wakesetters come standard with factory ballast tanks in the rear and midship. If it doesn't have them, then it's probably a Sunscape model and the seller is trying to pass it off as a Wakesetter. I'd do a little more research on this before you go any further.

Oh, and if it was me, I wouldn't even consider a 23 without any factory ballast. The wedge and a single 750 lb sac is not going to be enough to get a big surf wave out of it. There's plenty of info on this site about what kind of ballast is needed for surfing in different models, take a look in the Watersports and Ballast sections.

As Ronnie eluded to, an 04 Wakesetter LSV with no ballast sounds very fishy. As far as I know, all Wakesetters come standard with factory ballast tanks in the rear and midship. If it doesn't have them, then it's probably a Sunscape model and the seller is trying to pass it off as a Wakesetter. I'd do a little more research on this before you go any further.

Oh, and if it was me, I wouldn't even consider a 23 without any factory ballast. The wedge and a single 750 lb sac is not going to be enough to get a big surf wave out of it. There's plenty of info on this site about what kind of ballast is needed for surfing in different models, take a look in the Watersports and Ballast sections.

Or, it could be a repo/bank-owned boat that's been stripped. The tanks in those boats are above the floor to begin with (rear lockers) & there's no front ballast. *I think* that the mid-ship ballast is a bag. So they could have stripped it. It would be easy to tell on the hull by looking at the chines as to whether it's a wake or diamond, that would be another clue to look for.

To the OP,

Not sure where you're located, but this is a really sweet deal IMO: LINK

Yes they just tied the pumps together, not the tanks, one switch ran two pumps. But not on all the boats. Don't know if it was because they ran out of switches on well optioned boats or just because they didn't think it through. With the center tank being so much bigger than the bow tank. The bow just ran water out the overflow until the center was full.

If it doesn't have factory ballast, it's more than likely a fakesetter (sunscape with wake gelcoat and stickers)

The tell all would be the bow, If you bought a wakesetter 23 lsv in 2004, it had bow ballast, no if's and's or but's

The Moomba is no where near the boat a Malibu is,I know first had as I sold my LSV to buy a XLV Moomba thinking that money in the bank was good.Well I sold the Moomba for many reasons and now have a LSV again,and could not be happier!