Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

chrome pitting/flaking

have an '06 wakesetter that has had almost every piece of chrome replaced once, and now it is pitting/flaking off again....

racks, speakers, dash billet, etc...

anyone making replacements for this crap??? obviously malibu's suppliers of these parts had a very poor qc program for

cleaning the parts prior to being plated....

being a newbie, this subject may have been beaten to death already, if so, will somebody link me up???

if this was my first malibu,,,it would definitely be my last...... our dealer has been great about replacing stuff, but

now its out of warranty, i'm screwed..if i have to buy the stuff myself, i want to get new stuff that is going to last..

boat has never seen saltwater, and is always under roof

have an '06 wakesetter that has had almost every piece of chrome replaced once, and now it is pitting/flaking off again....

anyone making replacements for this crap??? obviously malibu's suppliers of these parts had a very poor qc program for

being a newbie, this subject may have been beaten to death already, if so, will somebody link me up???

if this was my first malibu,,,it would definitely be my last...... our dealer has been great about replacing stuff, but

now its out of warranty, i'm screwed..if i have to buy the stuff myself, i want to get new stuff that is going to last..

I do run in saltwater and have noticed pitting/flaking on the board rack and speaker mounts so it would be cool if you could just replace the mounts instead of the whole thing. I have also noticed slight pitting on the dash and glove box.

I wonder if one scoured ebay or craigslist if someone out there has replacement parts?

Most these emblems have been plated overseas and I don't want to bash the China products, but they suck! Environmental restrictions have limited plating supply houses he in the USA and it's really hard to find quality plating solutions now a days, much days anything plated here in the US.

These parts should have been made out of stainless steel period! Whistling.gif

Most these emblems have been plated overseas and I don't want to bash the China products, but they suck! Environmental restrictions have limited plating supply houses he in the USA and it's really hard to find quality plating solutions now a days, much days anything plated here in the US.

These parts should have been made out of stainless steel period! Whistling.gif

I agree! I also have an 06 and had the racks and outside emblems on the tower replaced and my boat does not see salt. I'm also curious if there are better places to get these things. I may end up making my own that no longer say Malibu. I would think Malibu would make sure that the part of the boat that has their name on it would be made to last. People in the market will see that and say "No way, look at how ugly that is"

This crap came from Metcraft,I know I've had my own issues also.

Malibu sucks also on this issue,I asked for help and they would not help at all.

my dealer was very kind to me and did help me out.( Thanks David)

Malibu sent me a survey to feel out recently,and I had a very negative reply.

I hope some one from Malibu would call me,but not as of yet.(no balls at all)I did give them my # also.

I bet the next time I buy a new boat I will do my home work a little better!!!

Just my 2 cent's.

Jeff Stutts

Asheboro,NC

I dont run in salt water and my racks and enblims on the tower are pitting and flaking. My rack also broke off at one of the welds dealer wouldnt do anything. I hope the rest of the boat has better welds.

i got the survey card, and as you did reply negatively,,, i did receive a followup call from someone at the california plant,

i blasted their overall quality controls, final inspections, etc.

i can tell them that anyone, who looks closely at my boat, would never buy a malibu based on what they would see, or

for that much, what they would hear from me!!!!

they will certainly lose market share and repeat customers, like myself, (3rd bu) with the substandard crap they put out

on the '06 wakesetter..................

This crap came from Metcraft,I know I've had my own issues also.

Malibu sucks also on this issue,I asked for help and they would not help at all.

my dealer was very kind to me and did help me out.( Thanks David)

Malibu sent me a survey to feel out recently,and I had a very negative reply.

I hope some one from Malibu would call me,but not as of yet.(no balls at all)I did give them my # also.

I bet the next time I buy a new boat I will do my home work a little better!!!

Just my 2 cent's.

Jeff Stutts

Asheboro,NC

[/quote

I have a 04 vlx with 6 metcraft lights 4 fwd and 2 rear -- "all the chrome" is off the top half of each light...uhhhg! can these be "re-chromed" or do I have to live with the visual? Any suggestions? In my industry (auto) the mfg takes responsibility for the tier suppliers!

I have an 06 vride and I replaced the following this year due to peeling / flacking:

Chrome gauge cluster

Chrome stereo remote mount

4 Chrome Malibu emblems - replaced with the new ss that are on the new boats

Chrome ball on tower

This stuff is expensive and I live in Dallas. :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with you guys on the flaking, pitting, discolor, etc. Very frustrating, ugly, and expensive.

When my 04 was in warranty, however, Malibu did send me new speaker cans.

My worst problem is the board racks. I'm considering pulling them off and powder coating them black like some of the new racks I see kind of like these.

1015-2T.gif

Edited by Team Newsom

Just noticed some pitting starting to show up on my billet guage cluster. I swear it seems like it just appeared overnight!

Not sure if there is a solution. My warranty ran out this past March....

• 1 year later...

has anyone found aftermarket replacements being made yet????????

Rather than buying original or aftermarket replacement parts and hoping they hold up, I would look into quality plating or powder coat options. The last thing I would do is buy more parts made by Metcraft. When my 2008 boat was new, I removed one of the board racks and stored it in my garage. The rack I left on the boat flaked after a year. The rack stored in the garage flaked six months later.

Powder coating is pretty aewesome these days. The coater I use was showing me an almost chrome looking powder coat he just found and has been using to coat wheels and bumpers recently. I was impressed. Might be worth a look. I'm the kind of guy that will spend a bunch of time researching and spend a bit more money that a simple replacement part just to make sure I don't have the same problem again.

Chrome on a boat is just a bad idea all around. Polished stainless......now that is Rockon.gif

Powder coating is pretty aewesome these days. The coater I use was showing me an almost chrome looking powder coat he just found and has been using to coat wheels and bumpers recently. I was impressed. Might be worth a look. I'm the kind of guy that will spend a bunch of time researching and spend a bit more money that a simple replacement part just to make sure I don't have the same problem again.

Chrome on a boat is just a bad idea all around. Polished stainless......now that is Rockon.gif

yeah, i didnt want to replace with the same thing, figured with as many people that experienced this

someone would have come up with ss or coated replacements....