Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Course Etiquette??

Ndawg12

Ok, so I'm ok to use it, I just need to leave them a little love letter, got it. Now I just need to get a dd boat and a slalom ski and I'll be all set Clap.gif

I've got my old 98 Sunsetter LX DD for sale on lake Wylie... Whistling.gif

Where was this course at and where do you launch your boat from?

Ok, so I'm ok to use it, I just need to leave them a little love letter, got it. Now I just need to get a dd boat and a slalom ski and I'll be all set Clap.gif

Thanks but no thanks. I just was at Lake Wylie a couple weeks ago, man them boat ramps are shallow by T-bones, almost flooded the Bravada getting it backed far enough!!! Lake Wylie has a way better sandbar than Norman, it's more my style.

I put in at Blythe Landing, the course is on the left as you head to the main channel, can't miss it.

Thanks but no thanks. I just was at Lake Wylie a couple weeks ago, man them boat ramps are shallow by T-bones, almost flooded the Bravada getting it backed far enough!!! Lake Wylie has a way better sandbar than Norman, it's more my style.

I put in at Blythe Landing, the course is on the left as you head to the main channel, can't miss it.

When do you plan to ski the course? Before season's end?

I bought an Insta-Slalom portable course last year and have left it in for 2 seasons without any problems. It is across the lake from my house, so I can see it from my deck. It is in an area where there aren't any homes or cottages and far enough from shore that boats can get around it. We posted it on our Home owner's accociation inviting anyone to use it. I have only lost 2 balls and one of them was returned. I marked my phone number on the balls, so if anyone had any questions about the course or found them, they could contact me.

I agree if it is on a public lake, it is fair game but I would go to one of the homes that it is in front off and ask them about it.

You might even get asked to go in the boat as a spotter. I am always looking for a third when I ski my wife drives.

Just food for thought

Gary

Ha! I apprereciate everyone's input but no way am I ready for that, hell I couldn't even drive through it, let alone my wife pulling me through it. I was just curious what the ettiquette was. Although I did get up on a slalom ski a month or so ago for the first time, it sparked an interest that I haven't pursued yet. Just too many options and I like doing them all, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube (yes tube), surf, and ski.

Ha! I apprereciate everyone's input but no way am I ready for that, hell I couldn't even drive through it, let alone my wife pulling me through it. I was just curious what the ettiquette was. Although I did get up on a slalom ski a month or so ago for the first time, it sparked an interest that I haven't pursued yet. Just too many options and I like doing them all, wakeboard, kneeboard, tube (yes tube), surf, and ski.

Gain some more skinny stick time and you will be trying the course. I am lousy compared to the guys that really know how to do the course right, but I still have fun with it. So far I can make 1 ball at 15 off and 32. But still I have fun. You can too.

Gain some more skinny stick time and you will be trying the course.

Skiing the course...what a beautiful combination of Love.gif & Frustrated.gif.

Edited by NorCaliBu

There's legal, and there's etiquette.

In Ontario Canada, nobody "owns" any part of the water in front of their property. The land underneath the water (lake/river) is owned by our Federal Government, and therefore is available for ALL to use and enjoy. As such, it is legal for somebody to park their boat or lawn chair even as close as 3 feet off your shore. In fact, at best, land owners only own to the HIGH water mark. So, if the water levels drop on their lake, the land next to the water's edge is in fact owned by the Federal Government. Property owners sometimes "help" nature by adding fill to their shoreline. In effect, they are "claiming" land actually owned by the Federal Government, because the land was formerly UNDER water, therefore owned by the Gov't. When they do something to increase their land into the water, it is called "made land". Recently, the Government has been contacting owners of "made land" and asking for them to pay "fair market value" for this land they have "made". Some landowners are outraged. The Gov't is able to view early land records and/or satelite photos to prove that landowners have in fact assumed ownership of land that used to be owned by the Gov't. Messy.

All that to say, anyone putting a course on a public waterway without getting proper authority approval (tough to do), is like staking claim to a water "footprint" of 100 feet X 1000 feet (plus turn-around) that is supposed to be shared by everyone. Could be viewed by many (fishermen, nature lovers, tubers, etc) as arrogant.

So, putting common sense and etiquette into the equation: Nobodyin their right mind would expect to be welcome if they planted their lawn chair in the water 3' off the shore line of a million dollar home, or in front of a $10,000 lot with a tent. Rude. Or, what if somebody decided to set a chair on your dock (which is actually sitting over Gov't land). Etiquette says although you are likely legally right, not the proper thing to do. Now extend the dock idea out to a floating raft..... then extend it further out to a ski course. A new set of etiquette rules kind of takes over. If somebody has the balls (ski balls that is) to claim 100' X 1000'of public waterway, they should expect to, at minimum, share it with others. What happens if a "visitor" is using the course..... and the owner shows up to use THEIR course. Who has right to that part of the lake? Should the visitor leave? BOTH have legal right to the same part of the lake. If it gets in to any form of dispute..... and authorities become involved, my money says the "authorities" would suggest folks either figure out a way to get a along, or the course must be removed. If anyone complains about the course for ANY reason, I would also put money on the decision that the course gets removed. As such, it is in the course Owner's best interest to accomodate EVERYBODY if he/she wants to leave the course in.

Having said that, courtesy says, make contact with the course owner, and fix any damage. If said ski course owner gets difficult, he/she needs to understand they don't have the right to stake claim to any part of the lake to the exclusion of others. Authorities would be on the side of those opposing a ski course.

Edited by doughickey