Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Difference between RLxi and SLxi

msuwaterski

I am throwing this question out to the crew for a little help. My wife and I are in the market for an '02 - '04 Sunsetter Lxi (because of the high marks given on this site). In searching the internet I have found more Response Lxi's available in those model years (minus '02). Other than the 1' length difference and the fact that the RLxi doesn't have the 500 lb center MLS option, I don't see much difference in these boats.

My question is this, does the RLxi have the midship ski locker that I could put a ballast in?? Other than that, what is the difference between these boats??

Edited by msuwaterski

The SLXi was based off the Sunsetter LX that was stretched to make the trunk. Originally it had the same hull as the Response and Echelon but they all changed somewhat as things were revised since that late 90's timeframe. The RLXi was a stretched and walk-thru version of the Response LX. The biggest difference I can say between the Responses and Sunsetter is the height of the boat. Responses are lower to the water while the Sunsetters offer more protection and storage. The best slalom wakes will be had with the R's while the S's offer more ability for ballast. That said, the hulls are very similar and slalom wake on a SLXi is still very good unless you have a lot of weight in it.

The interior of the SLXi seems roomier. Ski wakes are slightly different, with the SLXi's a little taller, but softer.

The biggest difference between the 2 is the freeboard. You don't feel quite as low/exposed in the SXLi as in the RLXi. This was the primary factor driving our decision as we had a small child when we bought our boat.

The SLXi was based off the Sunsetter LX that was stretched to make the trunk. Originally it had the same hull as the Response and Echelon but they all changed somewhat as things were revised since that late 90's timeframe. The RLXi was a stretched and walk-thru version of the Response LX. The biggest difference I can say between the Responses and Sunsetter is the height of the boat. Responses are lower to the water while the Sunsetters offer more protection and storage. The best slalom wakes will be had with the R's while the S's offer more ability for ballast. That said, the hulls are very similar and slalom wake on a SLXi is still very good unless you have a lot of weight in it.

The SLXI was a new boat from the ground up, on a completely revised hull than the SLX, the SLXI is wider, carried less full, offered the front MLS, 100lbs heavier, the SLXI had a bonafide trunk, SLX had a larger fuel capacity, different window setup The SLXI is a proven tourney slalom machine, but yet offers the space for gear and family over the SLX.

The SLXI was a new boat from the ground up, on a completely revised hull than the SLX, the SLXI is wider, carried less full, offered the front MLS, 100lbs heavier, the SLXI had a bonafide trunk, SLX had a larger fuel capacity, different window setup The SLXI is a proven tourney slalom machine, but yet offers the space for gear and family over the SLX.

The hull chart shows that the SLx, SLxi, and RLxi are all built on the sv23 diamond hull ('03, '04) Malibudude mentions a competely revised hull for the SLxi. Please elaborate. I see the only difference between the SLxi and RLxi is about 100lbs and the cantilevered storage area on the SLxi. I can't imagine those small differences affect the wake at all???

The hull chart shows that the SLx, SLxi, and RLxi are all built on the sv23 diamond hull ('03, '04) Malibudude mentions a competely revised hull for the SLxi. Please elaborate. I see the only difference between the SLxi and RLxi is about 100lbs and the cantilevered storage area on the SLxi. I can't imagine those small differences affect the wake at all???

The SLX used the sv23 hull, '02 being the only exception. The SLXI from '99-'04 used the diamond hull, while based on the sv23 hull it utilizes reverse chine’s to create the lift of the boat and helps to soften the wakes. I was comparing the SLXI to the SLX not the SLXI to the RLXI. The SLXI and RLXI are much closer in terms of wake size and characteristics than that of the SLX.

The SLX used the sv23 hull, '02 being the only exception. The SLXI from '99-'04 used the diamond hull, while based on the sv23 hull it utilizes reverse chine’s to create the lift of the boat and helps to soften the wakes. I was comparing the SLXI to the SLX not the SLXI to the RLXI. The SLXI and RLXI are much closer in terms of wake size and characteristics than that of the SLX.

Got it, thanks. So it sounds like other than the SLxi having a little more leg room and freeboard, its the same in performance as the RLxi.

Got it, thanks. So it sounds like other than the SLxi having a little more leg room and freeboard, its the same in performance as the RLxi.

Close...real close, but not the same. You pay for the extra room and freeboard with weight, which effects the ski wake. But the '99-'04 models are approved to tow a tournament, so that should tell you something about the wake quality.

And you really get more than a little extra room in the SSLXi. The trunk is downright huge, and there are enough storage areas to make a day on the lake with 4/5 adults or 4 adults/3-4 kids and gear no problem.

Edited by rts

Additionally the SLXI should provide a little better rough water operation. My opinion is if you are looking for a 3 event boat for smaller or tournament lakes the RLXI will provide slightly better performance. If you want to pack people and gear on board all day, but still want the performance the SLXI is hard to beat.

Factoid..the SLXI's rear trunk is 18 cu. ft. If I was on a closed course and only had three people, or lived on the water I'd get a RLXI. If you're out for the whole day w/ 3+ people the SLXI. FYI if you get an earlier SLXI change the prop to either a ACME or OJ 13x12, as the earlier CVP props stunk.

For pure slalom, no choice for me the RLX is da' bomb.

Factoid..the SLXI's rear trunk is 18 cu. ft. If I was on a closed course and only had three people, or lived on the water I'd get a RLXI. If you're out for the whole day w/ 3+ people the SLXI. FYI if you get an earlier SLXI change the prop to either a ACME or OJ 13x12, as the earlier CVP props stunk.

For pure slalom, no choice for me the RLX is da' bomb.

Yeah, our pure slalom days are over. We have crossed over to the dark side and now ride just as much if not more, so storage, extra room for people, and optional MLS ballast is important.

Thanks for all the help!

I've been wrestling with this very same question between the RLXI and SSLX. My first choice would be the RLXI '07 or newer, but here in Michigan times are tough and the future could get a lot worse. Therefore a little older Sunsetter at less money is what I'm wondering about.(Slalom and barefoot are primary activities) My thirteen year old Response LX doesn't skip a beat but can quickly become cramped for space.

I've been wrestling with this very same question between the RLXI and SSLX. My first choice would be the RLXI '07 or newer, but here in Michigan times are tough and the future could get a lot worse. Therefore a little older Sunsetter at less money is what I'm wondering about.(Slalom and barefoot are primary activities) My thirteen year old Response LX doesn't skip a beat but can quickly become cramped for space.

I hear you on the MI thing. Edge Ski in Kalamazoo has a nice low hour 2002 SLX up for sale. It's a carb engine, but worth looking at nonetheless.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=817945

I'm looking for a pre '05 SLXI.

Edited by inlandlaker

Sounds like your only reason for changing would be because you WANT it. Nothing wrong with the boat you have.

I understand the economic situation; before I’d consider the switch from the RLX to a SLX I’d recommend taking a pull behind it. The order in terms of slalom and barefooting from best to good are RLX-SLXI/RLXI-SLX. You’ll find the SLX wake harder because other than the ’02 model years it’s on the non-diamond hull. I’ve skied the SLX many times, while it’s good for slalom it’s nowhere near my first choice. IMHO you’ll be sacrificing the slalom wake more than the extra room you get. Other than the ’02 SLX I’d recommend the SLXI first, of course it may be a few more $$ than the SLX but well worth it based upon the info you gave us.