Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

05 VLX vs 06 Mobius LSV

SkiingPT

I am looking to buy my first wakeboard boat and would like some input. I have been surfing this sight for a couple of weeks now and know you guys know your boats. I have found an 05 VLX with 250 hrs priced for 35,000. I have also found an 06 LSV with 45 hrs for 29,000. Both boats are comparably equiped and in great condition. The Mobius comes with some warranty left as well. Is the Malibu worth the extra bucks?

Yes in my opinion the Malibu is worth the money. I will see it if you every go to sell, it will keep it's value much better than the Mobius. Not to mention that the creature comforts are awesome on the BU.

I have an 05 vlx and love it. I also spend lots of time in friends moomba's. I think in the long run you will be way happier with a Malibu. The quality and craftsmanship of a Malibu is a step above. My boat has 240 hrs. and is immaculate. Spend the extra $6k!

Malibu is heads and tails above the Mobius in quality and value. If your budget allows, for a few bucks more, I would seriously look into a '06 Malibu VLX. I have seen some go for near the price point of the '05 VLX that you are looking at. Here is what the '06 has over the '05. Fly-by-wire(throttle by wire, no cable) which is awesome in response, built in cruise control, under-the-floor hard ballast tanks which take up far less storage space(you won't even know they are there).

We ove our '06 VLX.

I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with the Malibu experience. It is tops in performance and overall comfort.

Good luck.

Some bias here, but the first time I rode in a friends Malibu I could just tell that was the boat I wanted. I looke at a few other brands but very quickly decided Malibu really was a step above. The others are pretty good, the Malibu is great.

I have a 06 malibu Iride and I have two friends that have 08 moomba LSV's and here are the differences. First lets be honest that they are both nice boats. But, the wake on my malibu is much nicer. The wake is harder but more of a gentle ramp to it, it is also wider, rather than the moomba which has a very steep and soft wake to it that sometimes causes us to cut directly through the wake instead of going up the ramp of it, thus throwing us off our tricks. I run about 1800 pounds of weight with the wedge while they run more than 2600 lbs of weight which causes us to run at almost 25.5 at 80 feet to get a good clean wake while I can get the same size wake running 22.5 at 70 feet. Here is the best way to describe it....when you cut all the way out and look back into the wake, on the malibu, you can see the swell before the wake and know exactly whats coming, it is easier for your timing and more gentle on the landing. When you are on the moomba it is so steep that you cant see the swell, thus causing you to hit a wall throwing you directly into the side of the wake and ultimately off balance. The other problem with this is the other side of the wake. When you land on the other side it is also steep causing you to land either in the flats or on the top of the other wake causing you to case the landing. On a little less experienced riders the tail of the board hits the top of the wake and then the front of the board tilts down into the flat of the wake causing them to catch an edge and fall. I can tell you that even though we constantly barage each other with how nice our boats are comparitevly the one thing they will admit is how nice my DD malibu wake is compared to their moomba. The things that are very nice about their boat is the height of the tower and the fact that it is a vdrive giving more room in the boat, but otherwise, there is no competition. My boat gets up to speed faster, has a higher top end, and handles night and day better than theirs. The Perfect pass on my boat is easier to operate and to train a newby on how to use it. The fit and finish of my boat is great, the vinyl is nicer, padding in the seats is better, the swivel drivers seat, the bolster seat is better and makes it much nicer to spend the day in it driving. The swivel on the seat is so huge in my opinion!! Overall I know that I spent as much on my DD as they did on their Vdrive but honestly...it is worth it! and between you, me, and the crew, if I had a Vdrive, i dont think they would ever use their boats! LOL

Anyways, hope this helps. Thumbup.gif

I've driven the Mobius LSV and the Outback and when you compare fit, finish and handling my VLX wins on all accounts, obviously more expensive to start with so there should be a difference. Not saying the Mobius LSV or Outback are bad boats by any means but they are a price point boat and make some sacrifice's; which is ok. I ended up going with Malibu; the Mobius Outback & LSV after several years of use I thought started to look beat and the seating from the get go I found not only uncomfortable but of a lower quality (IMHO), on top of that they did not have the same wake shaping capability like Malibu. For me test driving was the clincher, which is always recommended. All the best in your search; regardless of what you are driving being on the water with friends and family is one of lifes great things.

Edited by Kingfish

I recently posted a brief overview of my experiences on an 08 Mobius.

I would very stronly recommend the Malibu and the comments about what you would get in an 06 would likely be worth looking/waiting for.

I suggest you drive, ride, and spend some time in both. Your decision will be very easy then.

Just how would you have any idea. ;)

I heard it on WW Thumbup.gif .

If it's on the web, you know it must be true.

That's my motto.

I suggest you drive, ride, and spend some time in both. Your decision will be very easy then.

Just how would you have any idea. ;)

I heard it on WW Thumbup.gif .

If it's on the web, you know it must be true.

That's my motto.

And a good one at that.

I might get slammed but don't by a Moomba. I got talked out of it and did buy an MC and now considering a V Ride. Look at any Moombas a few years old and you will know why. The ride may be fine but lots of other things start going bad.

I am looking to buy my first wakeboard boat and would like some input. I have been surfing this sight for a couple of weeks now and know you guys know your boats. I have found an 05 VLX with 250 hrs priced for 35,000. I have also found an 06 LSV with 45 hrs for 29,000. Both boats are comparably equiped and in great condition. The Mobius comes with some warranty left as well. Is the Malibu worth the extra bucks?

Definetly the VLX. I ride in boths and the VLX is much better in all ways. I ll buy the VLX even if the spead is 10K.

Luciano From argentina

I have a 06 malibu Iride and I have two friends that have 08 moomba LSV's and here are the differences. First lets be honest that they are both nice boats. But, the wake on my malibu is much nicer. The wake is harder but more of a gentle ramp to it, it is also wider, rather than the moomba which has a very steep and soft wake to it that sometimes causes us to cut directly through the wake instead of going up the ramp of it, thus throwing us off our tricks. I run about 1800 pounds of weight with the wedge while they run more than 2600 lbs of weight which causes us to run at almost 25.5 at 80 feet to get a good clean wake while I can get the same size wake running 22.5 at 70 feet. Here is the best way to describe it....when you cut all the way out and look back into the wake, on the malibu, you can see the swell before the wake and know exactly whats coming, it is easier for your timing and more gentle on the landing. When you are on the moomba it is so steep that you cant see the swell, thus causing you to hit a wall throwing you directly into the side of the wake and ultimately off balance. The other problem with this is the other side of the wake. When you land on the other side it is also steep causing you to land either in the flats or on the top of the other wake causing you to case the landing. On a little less experienced riders the tail of the board hits the top of the wake and then the front of the board tilts down into the flat of the wake causing them to catch an edge and fall. I can tell you that even though we constantly barage each other with how nice our boats are comparitevly the one thing they will admit is how nice my DD malibu wake is compared to their moomba. The things that are very nice about their boat is the height of the tower and the fact that it is a vdrive giving more room in the boat, but otherwise, there is no competition. My boat gets up to speed faster, has a higher top end, and handles night and day better than theirs. The Perfect pass on my boat is easier to operate and to train a newby on how to use it. The fit and finish of my boat is great, the vinyl is nicer, padding in the seats is better, the swivel drivers seat, the bolster seat is better and makes it much nicer to spend the day in it driving. The swivel on the seat is so huge in my opinion!! Overall I know that I spent as much on my DD as they did on their Vdrive but honestly...it is worth it! and between you, me, and the crew, if I had a Vdrive, i dont think they would ever use their boats! LOL

Anyways, hope this helps. Thumbup.gif

Thats all true and rigth.