Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Prop Question...

jetskipro550

We have a 1999 SSLXi with the stock 3 blade prop that came on the boat. The only numbers I could find on the prop say its a 13x13. We need to get a new prop and we want to go with a 4 blade because we do 90% wakeboardings/surfing and 10% skiing. We usually run the wedge and 1000lbs. of ballast which will soon be 1500lbs. and we have at least 4-6 people in the boat all the time. We have troulbe holding speed while wakeboarding and our hole shot is less then desired when loaded down. My dad is worried about losing a lot off our top end speed...so what prop should we switch to?

I'd contact either Bill at ACME or Max at www.skiertoskier.com (for OJ Props) depending on your brand preference. I just got an OJ XMP from Max....$400 to my door with a puller, wrench, prop nut, shaft key, cotter pin & a storage case to keep my old prop in as a spare. Prop by itself is $300.

Edited by NorCaliBu
Michael - how come you needed a new prop???

Dontknow.gif . . . . . . . . ;)

j/k I hit something (not sure what, nothing ever surfaced) and curled one of the blades pretty good and the other 3 just slightly. It was a good excuse to get a new CNC'd prop. :)

We have a 1999 SSLXi with the stock 3 blade prop that came on the boat. The only numbers I could find on the prop say its a 13x13. We need to get a new prop and we want to go with a 4 blade because we do 90% wakeboardings/surfing and 10% skiing. We usually run the wedge and 1000lbs. of ballast which will soon be 1500lbs. and we have at least 4-6 people in the boat all the time. We have troulbe holding speed while wakeboarding and our hole shot is less then desired when loaded down. My dad is worried about losing a lot off our top end speed...so what prop should we switch to?

Patrick,

I think that you'd be really surprised at the performance of the 3-blade Acmes (I have no personal experience with the OJs, so I can't comment on those). On our Wakesetter we went to an Acme 525 (13 x 11.5) & it greatly improved holeshot & holding power at boarding speeds. CarveItUp also put this prop on his SLXI & will hopefully give his thoughts on it. He had a CVP 13 x 13 SS on his boat before, & it pulls like a beast now, I will tell you that. :)

After talking with Edwin (who had tested about evry prop under the sun on his 01 SLXi) I decided to go with the OJ XMP 13X11.5 from skiertoskier.com I went from the stock CVP 13X13 SS before it had a chance to come apart on me. I always thought that the CVP performed well. We slalom a lot (sometimes on a small private lake where space is an issue), wakeboard w/ wedge + 500lbs in the ski locker, and barefoot a couple of times a year-nothing fancy.

I was expecting to see an increase of 100-150 RPMS @ WOT over the SS prop but only saw an increase of 50 RPMs or so. So Skiertoskier's statement about the 13X11.5 replacing the 13X13 is pretty accurate as far as top end is concerned. I think I picked up 1-2 MPH at top end. The big difference is noticed in hole shot. A big increase! I didn't scientifically test with a stop watch but I could notice a significant difference wakebording and especially slaloming. The prop runs smoother than the ss did and acceleration is super smooth. Now I have to be carefull I don't jerk boarders to hard.

The biggest difference I noticed was the rooster tail became way softer at 15off 30MPH and up. With the ss it was like hiting a speed bump. Now it is like it is not there.

I am very happy with my prop. Don't know what the acme would do. I kind of went with Edwin's advice since he had tested both props.

Give him a PM. He could probably share his .02 with you.

Patrick,

I think that you'd be really surprised at the performance of the 3-blade Acmes (I have no personal experience with the OJs, so I can't comment on those). On our Wakesetter we went to an Acme 525 (13 x 11.5) & it greatly improved holeshot & holding power at boarding speeds. CarveItUp also put this prop on his SLXI & will hopefully give his thoughts on it. He had a CVP 13 x 13 SS on his boat before, & it pulls like a beast now, I will tell you that. :)

So you had a both have/had the 3 blade prop? I always thought that 4 was better then 3 when it came to boarding and lots of weight?

I had an Acme 4 blade at one point & I actually liked the 3 blade that we ended up with (525) better. The boat just performed better at every point in the power curve. The Acme 3 blades are so good because they have so much surface area to them while still maintaining 3 blades. I'd give serious consideration to either an Acme 525 (13 x 11.5) or 515 (13 x 12), & for the OJ XMP people seem to be happy with that one as well.

Any chance that you have a place in town that will let you demo a few?

I had a '99 LXI that I put an ACME 525 on and WOW what a difference. As stated earlier, it pulled harder at all speeds.... Especially holeshot. And was easier to maintain slow speeds.

Wise choice!

P

Patrick,

So you had a both have/had the 3 blade prop? I always thought that 4 was better then 3 when it came to boarding and lots of weight?

The surface area on the CNC props are actually very similar, therefore, no need to always need a 4 blade.

I had an Acme 4 blade at one point & I actually liked the 3 blade that we ended up with (525) better.  The boat just performed better at every point in the power curve.  The Acme 3 blades are so good because they have so much surface area to them while still maintaining 3 blades.  I'd give serious consideration to either an Acme 525 (13 x 11.5) or 515 (13 x 12), & for the OJ XMP people seem to be happy with that one as well.

Any chance that you have a place in town that will let you demo a few?

I had been running he stock 13 x 13 prop on our boat and wanted to try something new. mainly wanted something with less vibration and better speed holding capability. I talked to Bill at ACME and he recommended the #535 13 x 11-1/2 like you have. I bought the thing at the beginning of summer but for one reason or another I didn't get around to putting it on until last weekend.

Man What a Difference!

Speed and RPM stayed the same 46MPH @4300RPM, but it is much easier to hold speed now, it has far less vibration, and I picked up a bunch more hole shot.

This is a great prop and would recommend it to anyone with this type of application. I don't remember the exact price but it was around $300 and for I think $75 more you get a nice carrying case, puller, cotter pin, nut, and keyway.

CB

Thanks for all the info everyone! We still have a few issues to work out before we buy but I will let you know what we get and how it works. I just hope that my dad wants to buy it now and not wait until the spring. He is always saying something about putting money into the boat while it sits all winter or something Crazy.gif like that Biggrin.gif

He is always saying something about putting money into the boat while it sits all winter or something  like that

When it is you making the payment, paying for gas, insurance, yada yada yada you might better understand his perspective. Biggrin.gif