Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter lx/ lxi

jeffcowan35

Hello, I'm wondering a few things mainly about the sunsetter lx & lxi boats, but also about Malibu's in general.

For a group of intermediate course skiers and wakeboarders, would the difference in the Diamond/ Wake hull be very substantial? I have heard that the slalom wake from the Diamond hull is nearly tournament quality... can the same be said about the earlier sunsetters with the wake hull?

Also, would the response lx or Sportster lx be suitable as a crossover/ wakeboard boat with the right ballast/ wedge combination?

I guess my real question would be if there is a boat out there that can actually satisfy skiers looking to knock off line lengths and wakeboarders at the same time?

For a course skier who wants to board, you'd want the Sunsetter LXi with a wedge. Arguably the best ski cross-over boat out there. (Some will argue that the new VTX on a diamond hull is equal. It's good, but also about 2x the cost.) You'd likely find the LX wake a little on the hard side in the course.

There is a noticeable difference LX/LXi. It gets more dramatic at speeds below 34. The diamond hull LXi is a tournament approved tow boat.

The Response LX would be an decent 2nd choice, but has a step-over into the bow instead of a walk-thru. Once the boats are loaded, the can be easy to chili-dip.

The Sportster is a great ski boat, but would likely be wanting for a boarding wake.

Just my $.02

Edit: Where are you located? If you see a boat you like, take your skis/board to the test drive.

Edited by wienrdog
Hello, I'm wondering a few things mainly about the sunsetter lx & lxi boats, but also about Malibu's in general.

For a group of intermediate course skiers and wakeboarders, would the difference in the Diamond/ Wake hull be very substantial? I have heard that the slalom wake from the Diamond hull is nearly tournament quality... can the same be said about the earlier sunsetters with the wake hull?

Also, would the response lx or Sportster lx be suitable as a crossover/ wakeboard boat with the right ballast/ wedge combination?

I guess my real question would be if there is a boat out there that can actually satisfy skiers looking to knock off line lengths and wakeboarders at the same time?

I bought a Sunsetter LXi new in 2002 - for just the reasons you are looking now. The boat was a fantastic slalom boat and with the wedge a good wake boat. Great handling and acceleration. The major downside for us was lack of room. Replaced the LXi with an 07' LSV and love that boat and the room. If you have a moderate size crew (4 -6) and don't mind the direct layout the LXi is a great crossover boat!

We just bought a 02 Sunsetter Lxi this year. We have found it does a good job doing everything. We normally have 3 - 4 people in the boat when we ski, and I believe the wake is very similiar to the 99 response lx my uncle has. (With the just the spotter and driver the respnse wins.) Good wakeboard wake with the wedge. And with the boat full of people we made a decent surfing wake. We bought it in mid august and we have already put twenty hours on it. It quickly became the most used boat in our family. People who have wakeboarded behind both the diamond hull and wake hull have told me there is not a big difference between them. But skiers have unanimously told me that diamond hull is much better for skiing than the wake hulls.

I have a 95 lx that I perchased new and after 13 years I still think its one of the best boats made. Its wake is awsome and it still looks and drives like new, I can honestly say I have never looked at another boat and thought I would be more satasfied with it FWIW

I have a 95 lx that I perchased new and after 13 years I still think its one of the best boats made. Its wake is awsome and it still looks and drives like new, I can honestly say I have never looked at another boat and thought I would be more satasfied with it FWIW

what are you using your boat for? (i assume footing..) Is the slalom wake suitable for the course and skiers looking to ski seriously? Not too worried about the wakeboard wake, I know that it would be fine.

Thanks

For 2002 the Sunsetter LX hull was actually a diamond hull...so if you find the right year LX could be just as good as the Lxi with a lower price tag.

Are you positive about this?

Peter

According to the resource page -

2002 Hull Secifications -

Sunsetter 21' 93" 18" 2800 Lbs. 10 Persons 41 Gallons SV23 Diamond

Sunsetter LXI 21'8" 93.5" 18" 2900 Lbs. 10 Persons 35 Gallons SV23 Diamond

Sunsetter XTI 22'6" 97" 20" 3250 Lbs. 13 Persons 43 Gallons V25 Diamond

in the older malibu's (1995 era, when the new sunsetter look came around) the hulls are all called simply SV23 in the specs, and the sunsetter and response are apparently on the same hull design just bigger hull for the sunsetter. Is this right? Does it mean that the older sunsetters should produce a respectable slalom wake? or had they just not distinguished the 2 different hull types at that point?

in the older malibu's (1995 era, when the new sunsetter look came around) the hulls are all called simply SV23 in the specs, and the sunsetter and response are apparently on the same hull design just bigger hull for the sunsetter. Is this right? Does it mean that the older sunsetters should produce a respectable slalom wake? or had they just not distinguished the 2 different hull types at that point?

SV23 = Wake Hull

SV23 Diamond = Slalom Hull

IIRC the Diamond Hull didn't come out until 1998.

Edited by NorCaliBu
actually, Peter I checked on a 2002 Sunsetter I currently have in stock, and had to do a double take, it does indeed have a diamond hull

Yeah I think that was the year the wakesetter options came out, the 02s had the diamond hulls.

Never got to do a good comparison though...b

The mid 90's Sunsetters were not on the diamond hull but it was pretty close. I remember when the diamond hull came out on the Response and I can't say I noticed much of a difference in the slalom wake from the earlier ones. I'd say the Sunsetter LX and LXi are both great boats. Just take them for a test drive before you buy and see for yourself.

what are you using your boat for? (i assume footing..) Is the slalom wake suitable for the course and skiers looking to ski seriously? Not too worried about the wakeboard wake, I know that it would be fine.

Thanks

Everything, mine was the first or second year for the SV23 hull. It has very good slalom wakes and virually no spray at speeds above 30. It tracks like a freight train in the corurse. , I don't have anything fancy(like perfect pass) but have very good drivers as skiing partners. Even though I put a Titan 3 tower on it, I'm not big into wakeboarding so I dont run a wedge or balast. The thing I like about the older Sunsetters is the fact that they are fairly plain with gobs of storage. I can easily put two knee boards two wake boards and 4 skis in it w/o having anything on the floor, seats or tower (knee and wake boards tuck under the coaming boards on the side, skis in the floor locker and rear trunk) Taking the rear seat out helps the slalom wakes especially shortline.

You are totally spot on correct, they didn't have wake specific hulls back then. The Response, Echelon, and Sunsetter had SV23 hulls, then came the SV23 diamond and then all hell broke loose when the wake boards lost the pointed tip. BTW I still have a old H.O hyperlite board that had bungee straps for bindings and 3 fins in the tail.

You are totally spot on correct, they didn't have wake specific hulls back then. The Response, Echelon, and Sunsetter had SV23 hulls, then came the SV23 diamond and then all hell broke loose when the wake boards lost the pointed tip. BTW I still have a old H.O hyperlite board that had bungee straps for bindings and 3 fins in the tail.

Museum piece, ought to be worth some money in 30-40 years.

Just to be clear, the SV23 is exactly the same hull as the SV23 Wake Hull that they built the I-Ride on (2005-2007), & the V-Ride through 2008. The only difference is the "wake" moniker. Diamond was introduced in '98 on the Response, '99 on the SLXi.

You are totally spot on correct, they didn't have wake specific hulls back then...

Technically, they didn't have slalom specific hulls back then. The SV23 = The SV23 Wake Hull...same hull. So all of the boats back then technically had "wake" hulls.

You are totally spot on correct, they didn't have wake specific hulls back then...

Technically, they didn't have slalom specific hulls back then. The SV23 = The SV23 Wake Hull...same hull. So all of the boats back then technically had "wake" hulls.

I am assuming you are WAY WAY older than me, but when I pull out my 94-95 Wateski mags, I see that they talk alot about slalom but no mention of wakeboarding qualities in any of the manufacturers ads. In my youthful ways, I assumed they were making the boats slalom specific. I realize I should have sought the wisdom of someone much, much older Thumbup.gif

I can tell you that my 2001 LXI has the diamond hull and a great ski wake. Better than my old nautique 2001 and unless your running the course all day you'll never want more. Bought it new and its been a great boat. With some weight the wakeboard wake has good shape but it will never be as massive a dedicated wake boat.