Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LETS SEE YOUR RIGS!

josh_tn

56 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I hit a pothole in my Denali and had to replace one of the rims. The tires are a little more low profile and the pothole bent the aluminum rim.  22” rim was not cheap to replace. Believe it or not the tire was fine.  Since the rim bent the tire could not hold air.  Unfortunately you can’t really fix an aluminum rim.

You can have them fixed, I've had several done. None were truck wheels, but one was a factory SAAB BBS wheel and one was an aftermarket BBS wheel. Maybe you aren't supposed to do truck wheels?? But I was told as long as the aluminum isn't cracked and just warped, they will straighten them. This place didn't like to do the weld repairs due to tempering, but I've heard other places will. $150 to have one straightened vs $450 to get a new one, I went with straightening.

23 hours ago, Hemmy said:

I hit a pothole in my Denali and had to replace one of the rims. The tires are a little more low profile and the pothole bent the aluminum rim.  22” rim was not cheap to replace. Believe it or not the tire was fine.  Since the rim bent the tire could not hold air.  Unfortunately you can’t really fix an aluminum rim.

There are places that will repair aluminum rims, especially a bend.  We have a local place that specializes in that, typically $150 per wheel.  My wheels (GM P/N 19301164) MSRP at $597/each, so obviously not cheap.  I've found it for $430 shipped online new, but still not cheap.  Obviously used will be less, and finding a mint one would be best.  Anything $250 or less that's mint would be better than repairing IMO.  

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get myself motivated to change the impeller, the V-Drive fluid and transmission fluid myself, so off to the dealer I went.  Before the weight police get their knickers in a knot, my main tow vehicle is still, and likely always will be a DRW diesel.  But the dealers lot is way too tight for that truck on its own, let alone with the LSV in tow.  And the LSV is within the GC's specs.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the EcoDiesel pulled the boat.

And now I am 100% ready for the water.  Come on summer!

6735zv6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 10:24 PM, RyanB said:

I couldn't get myself motivated to change the impeller, the V-Drive fluid and transmission fluid myself, so off to the dealer I went.  Before the weight police get their knickers in a knot, my main tow vehicle is still, and likely always will be a DRW diesel.  But the dealers lot is way too tight for that truck on its own, let alone with the LSV in tow.  And the LSV is within the GC's specs.  I was actually pleasantly surprised at how well the EcoDiesel pulled the boat.

And now I am 100% ready for the water.  Come on summer!

6735zv6.jpg

Nice setup...but you probably spent more time towing than just doing this basic service in your driveway yourself.  

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Nice setup...but you probably spent more time towing than just doing this basic service in your driveway yourself.  

Thanks.  Probably not on the towing vs service.  Dealer is less than 10 miles away.  

I bought everything I need to do the V drive and tranny fluid as well as impeller.  And I just couldn't get myself to do it.  I don't like working on my boat.  Some people do, more power to them.

That said, if you add the time spent cleaning up the grease the dealer left, I may have done the service quicker, and am more likely to try it myself next year......  :(

28 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Thanks.  Probably not on the towing vs service.  Dealer is less than 10 miles away.  

I bought everything I need to do the V drive and tranny fluid as well as impeller.  And I just couldn't get myself to do it.  I don't like working on my boat.  Some people do, more power to them.

That said, if you add the time spent cleaning up the grease the dealer left, I may have done the service quicker, and am more likely to try it myself next year......  :(

Vdrive and Tranny fluid are stupid simple/quick DIY.  Get a fluid extractor, shove the tube in the hole and pump it to suck out the fluid.  Funnel + new fluid = done.  There are a lot of DIY jobs I don't enjoy doing, but paying shop rates and spending all that time on their schedule bothers me even more.

Impeller in only a few minute job.  4 screws, if you are trashing it then simply grab with needle nose, yank out, install reverse of removal.  Just think of it this way.  10 miles there, then back, then there, then back.  Even averaging 60 miles an hour, that's 40 minutes.  Then messing with the dealer, hookup and unhooking.  You are at bare minimum an hour and a half into the whole project.  You could have done all of this in less time in your driveway at your schedule, not theirs.  I struggle even getting my truck scheduled for its first free oil change as it's just so much easier for me to DIY when I have a few spare minutes after work in my garage or driveway.  That free thing reminds me to find a dealer to make that damn appointment...

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 8:23 AM, Nitrousbird said:

There are places that will repair aluminum rims, especially a bend.  We have a local place that specializes in that, typically $150 per wheel.  My wheels (GM P/N 19301164) MSRP at $597/each, so obviously not cheap.  I've found it for $430 shipped online new, but still not cheap.  Obviously used will be less, and finding a mint one would be best.  Anything $250 or less that's mint would be better than repairing IMO.  

I read this post a couple months ago and was thinking to myself, damn this would suck. Flash forward several weeks and I noticed a vibration at highway speeds on my GMC Sierra w/ factory 22's. Took it to the dealer hoping that it was just a balance issue, but sure enough, it was a bent wheel. Replacement price was $697 for a new one (chrome) from the dealer as they told me it wasn't fixable. I looked around at local shops, but no one wanted any part of fixing it. I could't find either used either. Guess I'll have to switch to Busch Light for a while :( 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, carnold12 said:

I read this post a couple months ago and was thinking to myself, damn this would suck. Flash forward several weeks and I noticed a vibration at highway speeds on my GMC Sierra w/ factory 22's. Took it to the dealer hoping that it was just a balance issue, but sure enough, it was a bent wheel. Replacement price was $697 for a new one (chrome) from the dealer as they told me it wasn't fixable. I looked around at local shops, but no one wanted any part of fixing it. I could't find either used either. Guess I'll have to switch to Busch Light for a while :( 

Or buy a Ford next time ;)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, inlandlaker said:

Man!!  I love this set up!!  Sick boat, too!  My local dealer has a left over '18 23 LSV with nearly the exact color combo.  Has me thinking........ 

Thanks...really appreciate that!  I had a commuter vehicle and finally decided to trade it in on a truck and have been really happy with it.  You would love the 23 LSV.  Perfect size boat whether you have a small or larger crew, and the wake is phenomenal.

4 minutes ago, eubanks said:

Thanks...really appreciate that!  I had a commuter vehicle and finally decided to trade it in on a truck and have been really happy with it.  You would love the 23 LSV.  Perfect size boat whether you have a small or larger crew, and the wake is phenomenal.

No problem!!  My commuter is my tow rig since I don't tow often and like to drive trucks, the F-150 is my daily and I love it.  

I agree on the 23.  We have a 22 VLX right now and it's a great boat!  We love it, but love the 23 just a little more.  The extra foot in length is surprisingly more roomy. 

12 hours ago, Dock4 said:

2018 ecoboost with 93 MPT tune (which is insanely fast tbh), level kit, 34 inch tires 

Tell me more.  Their website looks like crazy gains over stock, is that true?