Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with fixing this

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem. The grates on the vent covers on my vlx have come off. Looks like they were just glued on at the factory.

Anybody know what they used at the factory to bond the grate to the stainless steel part? I was thinking of using an epoxy that bonds metal to metal. Any ideas?

3928574661_efa4e8dbed_b.jpg

3928574085_bbce791f96_b.jpg

3928573543_9cba9af14f_b.jpg

if not 3M super weatherstrip adhesive is some pretty strong stuff, you could probably glue yourself to the ceiling (if your into that ROFL.gif ). Just make sure not to use too much because **it does dry yellow** too.

Edited by Meyerbu

Remember that thing is bending, I can't tell if it has openend up it's radius from being removed from the boat, but if so, you may want to glue it and then immediately put it on the boat. If you exopy it out of the boat, and they try to bend it, you may have some problems with the bond breaking or something bending you didn't plan on. Good luck. Good question on warranty for the dealer.

If over 300 hours no longer warrentied. I just glued mine back on. It's really not hard to do especially since you allready have them off, and when finished I was able to get back on the water. Some things to me are just not worth the warrenty hassle. Thats just me.

If over 300 hours no longer warrentied. I just glued mine back on. It's really not hard to do especially since you allready have them off, and when finished I was able to get back on the water. Some things to me are just not worth the warrenty hassle. Thats just me.

what did you use to glue it?

Nothing special just some marine epoxy that I got at Home depot. It's lasted longer than the original glue did. I can email the actual make later if needed. I didn't worry to much about the glue residue being seen. I masked off the chrome and re-sprayed the grill section black to make it look as good as new.

Edited by colobuskier

I reglued mine on this spring as well.. They don't make my style any more so I would have had to replace both at $150 per unit... I just used a 3m Silicone.. Worked like a champ and I overdid it but you can't see any of the silicone through the grate...

I reglued both of mine last winter E6000 is what you want to use. and when you do glue the whole thing or you will be pulling thm off again. to do the section you didnt do. Thumbup.gif fyi E6000 will have a little flex when dry.

I ended up using Lepage Super adhesive. It says it is primarily for aquariums and will bond metal to metal. It's flexible, clear and good for use in freshwater and saltwater.

I cleaned the back of the SS piece as well as I could and just went ahead and glued the grate back on then clamped it to let it set up. Seemed to work great but the boats in storage now so we'll see how it holds up next summer.

I would call the dealer too, and get some new ones in the mail before your warranty expires. Would be nice to just have the new ones sitting on the shelves in case this doesn't work.