Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

At what age is it safe to have a child on the boat?

MexTex

I am a new father as of 7 weeks ago. We have a beautiful baby boy and I am also the new proud owner of a used 2007 Malibu VLX. I can't wait to have him out on the water with me, but when is the right time to take a baby out on the water? Being that this is our first baby I think its going to be up to his mother, but at what age did you have your kids out on the boat?

Edited by MexTex
I am a new father as of 7 weeks ago. We have a beautiful baby boy and I am also the new proud owner of a used 2007 Malibu VLX. I can't wait to have him out on the water with me, but when is the right time to take a baby out on the water? Being that this is our first baby I think its going to be up to his mother, but at what age did you have your kids out on the boat?

I went boating 2 weeks ago with a couple who took their 3 week old out with us for a few hours. I have a 15 month old that I would have taken out the day we got back from the hospital if we had owned the boat back then. Just keep them cool and in the shade, definately need a bimini. Have fun, we sure did and still are!!!

I went boating 2 weeks ago with a couple who took their 3 week old out with us for a few hours. I have a 15 month old that I would have taken out the day we got back from the hospital if we had owned the boat back then. Just keep them cool and in the shade, definately need a bimini. Have fun, we sure did and still are!!!

My son was about 6 weeks old the first time out (not in a 'Bu tho). We motored around the lake for a bit while he sat in his bouncy seat. Your trips are definitely shorter than pre-baby -- no more staying out all day. It was warm (August in Tx), but we had the bimini up and kept him in the shade.

I ride with a buddy who always bring his 2 kids since they were just a few weeks old. They too sleep under the driver's side dash. It's gotten a little cramped under there now that they have a 2nd one & the older one is like 4 yrs old. It's pretty funny how quickly they doze off though, even with all the activity around them & the tunes on.

We brought our youngest out with us starting at about 4 weeks old, nesteled him into the corner of the spotter's seat. He's 2 now and has the boat routine down pat, motor starts and he jumps into that spot and watches whoever is behind the boat. When a run is over he and the other three kids usually fight over who brings in the rope.

As other have said keep the little guy in the shade and he should be fine. Ours all fell asleep about 2 minutes into a session, and only woke up if the engine got shut off.

They can do this.

That's hilarious...I have to show this to my wife. She's pretty paranoid right now; she keeps telling me that he can't swim yet. That raft will do the trick though!

Edited by MexTex

Our son has been out on the boat since he was about 3 months old... That was about the earliest we could get him out as he was born in Feb.

I have a similar picture with my son sleeping at my feet. However he's wearing his vest & not in a raft (the floor on our boat then was carpeted).

He's 4 now & a better spotter than most of the adults on the boat.

I agree...the earlier the better. The rumbling of the engine and the motion of the boat usually put them to sleep.

The only problem is the infant life jackets they have to wear (here in Florida, anyway) any time they are out on the lake. They can be a little cumbersome, as they have the neck thing tht is supposed to float them face up if they were to find themselves in the water. But mine got used to them prett quick, and it is a very good day when they hit 30 lbs and can graduate to the child vest from the infant vest.

They can do this.

That's hilarious...I have to show this to my wife. She's pretty paranoid right now; she keeps telling me that he can't swim yet. That raft will do the trick though!

We're pretty relaxed on our "life jacket wearing" policy, probably more relaxed than we should be. But get him an infant JetPilot jacket and you'll be all set.

post-8316-1253203193_thumb.jpg

Take’em out as young as you can but you have to limit the time in the sun. Most states have a life vest laws for kids though. Who knows how the marine patrol would react to it if you can’t find a life vest that small.

They are pretty serious about a properly fitting/sized life jacket for every one, even for the infants, around here.

At least the infant jackets are not as uncomfortable as the infant 'survival suits' they have for them if you take them on a cruise. Here's a shot from our Disney cruise when the little one was 14 weeks old. Jacket was a full suit, complete with water activated light. Getting him into it was like trying to shove a wet noodle up a wildcats butt.

post-58-1253204403_thumb.jpg

Edited by rts

In separate years we had 1 born in January, 1 in February, and 1 in June. The first two were on the boat the summer they were born, and the June baby was on the boat within days of birth. It is actually very easy to care for them when they are that little, the stress starts when they are 1 and 2 years old and decide to walk around and climb on stuff.

Start the life jacket rule right away, I've seen toddlers fall off of piers and sink like rocks (all been saved).

Start the life jacket rule right away, I've seen toddlers fall off of piers and sink like rocks (all been saved).

Plus1.gif

Living on the lake my two boys started at a very young age Rockon.gif

Never ever would I let an infant on my boat without a life jacket........

I don't care if it is required by law or not.

You never know.

Scott

Edited by steemin
They can do this.

We would do this too, but would keep them in their carriable car seat. Literally a few weeks after they were born.

Got to have a NEOPRENE vest, much more comfortable. It'll suck the first few times, they won't like the jacket, but once they're tired and out, they're out. They will get used to it, and will fall asleep quickly at the feet of the driver.

Frankly, I can't think of a safer place than right at the drivers seat. That's where I wanted my baby - right where I could keep an eye on him 24/7.

At what age is it safe to have a child on the boat?, New baby boy...

If you're old enough to have the child I guess you can have one on the boat if you must, but we found that in the Maternity Ward at the hospital was more comfortable. Love.gif

My oldest daughter was 3 weeks, my younger daughter 5 months. Younger daughter was born in the winter, 18 months after her sister, so she had to wait for boating season. They were both on the ocean in my 14 ft Winner in their first summer too.

In separate years we had 1 born in January, 1 in February, and 1 in June. The first two were on the boat the summer they were born, and the June baby was on the boat within days of birth. It is actually very easy to care for them when they are that little, the stress starts when they are 1 and 2 years old and decide to walk around and climb on stuff.

Amen to that!!! One word...fearless!!!

My boy, now 9, was on the boat 3 days after we got him home. He loves the boat and can't get enough "lake lifestyle" now.....He had a lot of troubles with his tummy when he was a baby and would cry a lot- the best cure was the boat idling... he would fall fast asleep in the boat until he was out of the boat, then start fussing again.

They are pretty serious about a properly fitting/sized life jacket for every one, even for the infants, around here.

At least the infant jackets are not as uncomfortable as the infant 'survival suits' they have for them if you take them on a cruise. Here's a shot from our Disney cruise when the little one was 14 weeks old. Jacket was a full suit, complete with water activated light. Getting him into it was like trying to shove a wet noodle up a wildcats butt.

The quote and the pic are both priceless!!! I'm cracking up here at work!!

6 months I think.

It is important to remember that if they are in a life jacket they will be much warmer than you, and can easily overheat.

Keep them in a cool place and out of the sun and be sure they are not getting too warm.