Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trailer lights/fuses on extreme trailer

We have an '06 VLX on an extreme trailer. We have tried launching the boat with the lights "connected" and "not connected", but the trailer lights continue to blow a 30 fuse in the tow vehicle. We have had 4 different vehicles tow and it happens to all of them. We still have brake lights, just not trailer lights. Any ideas?

We have an '06 VLX on an extreme trailer. We have tried launching the boat with the lights "connected" and "not connected", but the trailer lights continue to blow a 30 fuse in the tow vehicle. We have had 4 different vehicles tow and it happens to all of them. We still have brake lights, just not trailer lights. Any ideas?

I would start by looking for any skinned wires on the trailer.

Edited by nemire12

I had the same problem on mine this summer, there is a short from your running lights to the ground somewhere. Mine turned out to be some kind of critter (probably a chipmunk) nibbling a the wire splice connectors inside the frame and exposing the wires there. Check the voltage with a multi-meter, one side should show almost no resistance, the other side should show a reasonable number based on your number of marker and tail lights. The side with no resistance is going to be your culprit. Check where the wires come out of the frame rails to go to the lights, the sheathing is probably frayed. If its not too bad, tape it up and you should be good to go. If its really bad, cut out and replace the bad part, and make sure to tape the heck out of the wire to protect it going forward.