Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heated Seat Question...

SunriseH2OSkier

When Malibu offers the heated observers' seat as an option, I'll have no choice but to buy a new boat.

come on malibu, get that heated observers seat on line.

then we will all have to buy a new boat, just to keep the cfo happy.

i'll buy it if cfo will.

When Malibu offers the heated observers' seat as an option, I'll have no choice but to buy a new boat.

Too funny! My approach has been a little different. Sort of a 'death by a thousand needles' kind of thing. I was just getting razzed by a buddy at work as being the only guy he knows that can buy a $40K boat and turn it into an $80K boat. I told him I got a whole bunch of buddies right here that are experts at it. Biggrin.gif I just figure it is the way to get an $80K boat that the CFO thinks only cost $40K! Whistling.gif

Larry & Mike - I'm not positive I'll get in there next week, but certainly will soon. I'll check on the potential for a group buy kind of opportunity.

• 15 years later...

Old thread, but has anyone gone through the install of a heated observer seat?  Pics of install?  Would be looking to install on a 2017 TXi.  Not sure if the new touchscreen components/electronics will be compatible.  Wouldn't mind just having a separate switch on observer side.  Also didn't know if one could just use the open slot for tower lights on the screen and make that the place to turn on seat.

Edited by DkLkSkr

Man, I proposed this to my wife thinking I'd be a hero (defined as a smile and full authority/blessing to start a project).  Instead it was shot down: "how's that going to keep my feet warm?  I'll still need a blanket too for my neck and shoulders.  What benefit do you think this will have at all?" I think it's in her wife training, chapter 1 section B - "always keep him guessing".

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Michigan boarder said:

Man, I proposed this to my wife thinking I'd be a hero (defined as a smile and full authority/blessing to start a project).  Instead it was shot down: "how's that going to keep my feet warm?  I'll still need a blanket too for my neck and shoulders.  What benefit do you think this will have at all?" I think it's in her wife training, chapter 1 section B - "always keep him guessing".

Like Dad used to say "No good deed goes unpunished".  :)

Seat heater is a fav among the gang that occupies my boat - priceless.    Reading the CFO's mind - impossible.

For the observers seat, I would recommend a switch accessible by the person in that seat, along with an on/off switch accessible by the driver as passenger will certainly forget to turn off or at least it should shut off when ignition is off.  

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I received my seat heaters for the observer seat.  There are 4 wires that I will need to connect to make them run.  I'd like to get feedback from the crew before going off what I feel would be best.  Installing in 2017 TXi.

Black Wire (negative electrode) - Negative buss bar under dash.  Assuming it is ok to double up on one terminal if all are used.

Red Wire (positive electrode) - Positive buss bar (assume this is under dash)  Looks like there is a fuse panel on a computer panel.  Could one put a fuse tap on the heated seat fuse in this location? Or could an empty fuse slot be used?  Another thought was an open slot on the circuit breaker with a fuse tap added after the hookup.  Thinking an open circuit breaker like tower lights would be the better option and leave the computer panel alone.  Just needs to be 15amps as the inline fuse is rated at 15amps.

Orange Wire (ACC power's positive electrode) - Could the circuit breaker be used here?  Possibly off ignition hook up?

Yellow Wire (illumination positive electrode) - Navigation lights positive  (not sure where this originates)

I've got some background in home wiring, boats are a little more foreign.  Just want to make sure I install at the appropriate point and not disrupt anything electrical in the system.  I've only poked around a little bit to this point as I haven't full had time to search around.

why would you need to tie the seat heaters to the nav lights?

where is the switch going to be?  Did a switch come with the heaters?  Do you have a link to what you purchased?

I've wired em up in a couple of cars.

Figured to tie the navigation lights in to the illumination wire so that when the navigation lights turn on the switch will dim at the same time.  Like when car lights go on the dash dims in the vehicle.

Switch did come with the kit.  Hoping to have the switch on the passenger side of the boat somewhere, depends on the wiring.  If not there then somewhere on the dash towards the passenger side. 

Here is the kit that I purchased.  I figure to use 2 of the pads on the seat back and 2 on the cushion.  

https://www.sojoyusa.com/product/universal-retrofit-insert-carbon-fiber-2-seat-heated-kit-big-button/

@DkLkSkr - Not familiar with the TXI wiring specifics, my process was to ensure that when I walk away from the boat the seat heater can't be left on so any power supply requires an ignition on position.  I installed the element selection switch (off/low/high heat) off to the side near the throttle, makes it easy and obvious to those that want to turn it on.

8 hours ago, DkLkSkr said:

Figured to tie the navigation lights in to the illumination wire so that when the navigation lights turn on the switch will dim at the same time.  Like when car lights go on the dash dims in the vehicle.

Switch did come with the kit.  Hoping to have the switch on the passenger side of the boat somewhere, depends on the wiring.  If not there then somewhere on the dash towards the passenger side. 

Here is the kit that I purchased.  I figure to use 2 of the pads on the seat back and 2 on the cushion.  

https://www.sojoyusa.com/product/universal-retrofit-insert-carbon-fiber-2-seat-heated-kit-big-button/

OK that's just a basic car seat heater.  

Red wire should be fused (though every kit I've bought has an inline fuse already) and then connected to a positive bus bar or to the battery + post directly.  Black wire goes to Battery - post.  

I would personally wire the yellow and orange wires together.  I can't see an instance where I wouldn't want the switch light illuminated, even during the day.  Per woodski's point about not being able to walk away and leave it on, an illuminated switch is usually a good indication that something is turned on.  Wiring to the ignition is smart.  Yeah, that means no heat when floating with the engine off, but it also means no dead battery because you left the seat heater on for too long while floating.

• 4 weeks later...

@shawndoggy Could I wire the yellow and orange wires to the power button that controls the in-dash screens instead of wiring to ignition?  That way the seats would work only when this button is pressed in?  If so, would I splice into the orange wire coming off this power button?

Edited by DkLkSkr
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, DkLkSkr said:

Black Wire (negative electrode) - Negative buss bar under dash.  Assuming it is ok to double up on one terminal if all are used.

Red Wire (positive electrode) - Positive buss bar (assume this is under dash)  Looks like there is a fuse panel on a computer panel.  Could one put a fuse tap on the heated seat fuse in this location? Or could an empty fuse slot be used?  Another thought was an open slot on the circuit breaker with a fuse tap added after the hookup.  Thinking an open circuit breaker like tower lights would be the better option and leave the computer panel alone.  Just needs to be 15amps as the inline fuse is rated at 15amps.

Orange Wire (ACC power's positive electrode) - Could the circuit breaker be used here?  Possibly off ignition hook up?

Yellow Wire (illumination positive electrode) - Navigation lights positive  (not sure where this originates)

Please explain this a bit further.  I can't think of a reason that a seat heater would need four wires.  What is the "ACC power's positive electrode?"  Does the seat heater provide a power outlet (e.g. USB or 12V outlet)?

I would be very careful about connecting either a heater or an accessory outlet directly to the power sources under the dash.  You have already identified a need for a fuse or breaker, but you also should use (in my opinion) a relay to isolate the larger power draw from the dash wiring.  Your selected switch circuit can then safely power the relay, and the relay would then power (through a 15 Amp fuse) the heater or accessory outlet.

As for the power button on the dash, is that a momentary or latched switch?  If it is latched, go for it, but don't assume that it will provide an additional 15 Amps for your project.  As long as you use a relay, you should be OK using nearly any power wire you find.

The ACC positive electrode is only to power the switch, there is no power to an outlet or USB.  The illumination wire is to illuminate the switch and dim it like lights dim in a car when it gets darker so they are not as bright to the driver.

I do have a circuit breaker that I am going to install the seat heater to.  Where in the line does the relay go?  After the circuit?  There is already an in-line 15amp fuse for the seat heater.

The power button on the dash is the standard Malibu power button that all the boats have now.  Located right next to the start/stop button on the dash.

21 minutes ago, DkLkSkr said:

The ACC positive electrode is only to power the switch, there is no power to an outlet or USB.  The illumination wire is to illuminate the switch and dim it like lights dim in a car when it gets darker so they are not as bright to the driver.

I do have a circuit breaker that I am going to install the seat heater to.  Where in the line does the relay go?  After the circuit?  There is already an in-line 15amp fuse for the seat heater.

The power button on the dash is the standard Malibu power button that all the boats have now.  Located right next to the start/stop button on the dash.

Now I'm really confused.  A switch doesn't need any power, it makes or breaks a connection.  If you have a 15 Amp breaker for the heater, you don't need a fuse for it as well.  Here is a comparison of a simple hookup and a possibly better one:

PTnA4rJ.jpg

The electric seats that I have installed have a relay integrated into the harness. It might make more sense if you have pics of the harness. 

my bet is that the acc wire is a trigger wire for a relay (with the pos and ground wires also tied to the relay) and that the ill wire just feeds a very low voltage light on the switch. 

Here is a link to the heater I bought. 

Can you tell from this if there is a relay integrated in the harness?

How about wiring needs?

Try this link.  Sorry not able to post pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOJOY-NEW-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Insert-Heated-Warmer-Seat-Kits-2-seats-11x19-/262801977601

These pictures on this listing give a closer look, plus one of the pictures talks about the preassembled cable set comes with a switching relay.  Sounds like it should have one....

1 hour ago, DkLkSkr said:

Try this link.  Sorry not able to post pics.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SOJOY-NEW-Universal-Carbon-Fiber-Insert-Heated-Warmer-Seat-Kits-2-seats-11x19-/262801977601

These pictures on this listing give a closer look, plus one of the pictures talks about the preassembled cable set comes with a switching relay.  Sounds like it should have one....

1.  Take a photo of what you want to post.

2.  Move the photo to your computer.

3.  Upload the photo to https://imgur.com/upload and wait for the upload to finish.

4.  Click the "Copy Link" button on the Imgur screen *after* the upload completes.

5.  Come back to this site and place the cursor where you want your image in your reply.

6.  Click "Insert other media" and the "Insert Image from URL" at the lower right of the edit window.

7.  Paste the image URL in the space provided in the popup window, then add ".jpg" (without quotes) after the URL that got pasted.

8.  Press Enter or click OK and your image will magically appear where you had the cursor.

9.  Do a little happy dance.