Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heated Seat Question...

SunriseH2OSkier

I've still got a couple months before I've gotta give in to the ice, but figure I better start planning my winter mods now, so I've got something to help maintain my sanity during those long cold months. Crazy.gif

Wondering about adding a heated driver seat. Can someone out there help me understand where the heating element is? Is it in the seat bottom cushion? Or is it in the seat back? Both? What about on a seat with the flip-up bolster like I have? I'm wondering if this is as simple as replacing a bottom cushion (and running wires of course), or if I am looking at buying a whole new seat.

Hey Jerry,

I will say that this is a very worthwhile thing to have, but I don't know what the difficulty in retrofitting would be. I can tell you this much: the bolster section does not have an element of any kind, it's in the main seat base & back. How far into the seat it is I can't say for sure, but my instinct is not very far (it gets nice & toasty :)). My guess would be that it's a matter of removing the skins, installing the element & then re-skinning.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm boatless right now so I have nothing to check to be certain.

Thanks, Tracie. It makes sense that the bolster wouldn't have an element in it. Moving parts with wires hanging off isn't generally a good thing.

My hope is that the fixed seat bottom cushion has an element in it, and not just the seat back. Then I could at least get the butt warmer function (no back warmer) by just ordering that bottom cushion and running wires.

Jerry: The seat has 2 heating elements in it. The the fixed seat bottom and the lower part of the back rest, the pleated area where the lumbar support is. The two heaters are run in series. I have the fixed seat off so that I can dry the seat out good, so if you need pictures let me know. I though that Jason did this mod. on his boat at one time.

Yep, the seat base definitely has an element as well as the seat back. In reality, I would bet that you could run it pretty much however you want. I do have to say that the seat back being toasty is really nice, but I'm pretty cold blooded so to each his or her own.

I have the fixed seat off so that I can dry the seat out good, so if you need pictures let me know.  I though that Jason did this mod. on his boat at one time.

Pics would be great. While you are at it, could you take a couple of pics of your observer seat heater/hot tube install? I just picked up a new unit for mine as another winter project. (If it isn't obvious, I'm really focused on making those late and early season runs more comfy! :) )

gm oem heated seat elements are a sewn part of the skin.

element looks similar to a heating pad but thinner and more flexible.

gm sews this element to the skin.

holler if you have time for a walk to bldg 24, i can show one to you.

Hey Sunrise --

I put in an observers heating unit on my RLXi this spring -- works great -- short story of it for this moment is that I got the 3 outlet heater all with the flexible extensions, ran 2 outlets out under the seat and the other outlet comes out by the glove box as I did away with one of the cupholders (same diameter) -- also works well as a defogger.

I am in the process of getting my ducks in a row at work to go on vacation in a week so I can't get into it with you much right now -- but remind me of it in a month or so if I don't get back to you. I will take a bunch of pix of the install and where I plumbed the hot water lines, etc. Most of the time on my install was trial and error, after I figured out where to plumb what, it didn't take long at all.

And I also put in a heating element on my observers seat two years ago. Worked just ok for the first year, must be it doesn't like moisture as it has crapped out at this point. But I also used an aftermarket element and maybe if you get the one Malibu uses which is probably more water proof, you will be better off. I dunno what to tell you on that one.

Just the cheap guy in me, have you thought of simply buying an electric blanket? Plug it in and the driver is toasty, and not just their butt. It can also be used by anyone else in the boat needing it - IE the one just out of the water.

Much cheaper and easier to instal. ;)

BTW - dont' use a flannel blanket. It sheds and gets all over the carpet, hard to clean up (I discovered).

Im curious.

This is my first season with a heater. As you know, my group is pretty hard core and we go when it is really cold. Most of the time, the heater is so warm that I turn it off for a few minutes and then when I get cold I turn it back on. Sitting in the drysuit and all my clothes, it doesnt take much to get warm.

Do you think the heated seat is enough to penetrate the drysuit and all the clothing under the drysuit?

I Googled automotive heated seat kit & got lots of hits - heres one

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html

Also, if a person did not want to do it themselves, call a few Auto Dealers & ask.

Around here they will install a kit on new or used cars - with leather or fabric

seats - unlike GM, which will only do them with leather. The dealers often use an

outside source - kind of like the seat & paint repair guy that goes around from

lot to lot.

Jerry: I take some pic's of the seat, the hot tubes and heater install under the observer seat this weekend for you. Hoses from the drivers heater to the observer heater was run through the ski locker with the battery cables and are ran in series, driver’s heater first. I may try and reverse that this winter. The heated seat and the two heaters made the morning runs this spring very nice and toasty for everyone in the boat and hopefully will make it easier to get people to come out this fall. If you happen to be down in our part of town just give a call if you need to get a good look.

It's been a busy summer for us here, we never hooked up for a pull. Where heading out about 8 this Saturday if you can make it, I know it's a long drive down.

Edited by onamission
Do you think the heated seat is enough to penetrate the drysuit and all the clothing under the drysuit?

It comes through a towel, just a matter of time. If you spend much time in the driver's seat on cold days, your backside with thank you for it. The longer you sit there, the hotter it gets.

It's been a busy summer for us here, we never hooked up for a pull.  Where heading out about 8 this Saturday if you can make it, I know it's a long drive down.

Thanks for the offer, Larry. As it is I'm planning on getting on the lake at 7am Saturday, looks like Jeff (vette-ski from Brighton) is going to join us. I'm still hoping we can hook up yet this year. Maybe as we both start losing partners the colder it gets. Heck, I know tvano would join us!

Outstanding info on the seat heater, Larry!  And thanks for the pics, though I think you grabbed the hot tube pic again instead of the heater pic...

Sorry, I edited to the right pic. now. Jerry if you do stop in the wife would like to know if there have a kit for the observer seat, she gets cold at night when we are just cruising around and I have the seat heater on. The two hot tubes are just not enough, have to try and keep her happy. ;)

Jerry if you do stop in the wife would like to know if there have a kit for the observer seat, she gets cold at night when we are just cruising around and I have the seat heater on.  The two hot tubes are just not enough, have to try and keep her happy. ;)

When Malibu offers the heated observers' seat as an option, I'll have no choice but to buy a new boat.

Shocking.gif