Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking To Buy '02 Wakesetter VLX

Sask Rider

I have been dealing on this '02 VLX for a week or so now.

Here are the details:

(Emailed from the owner)

2002 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 141 hours. Exterior Black and Gray minor scratches, never beached, Interior is in excellent condition. Fresh water only and always stored indoors.

*21' length

*Indmar 325hp engine

*Top of the line tandem axel trailer with disc brakes

*Swoop Tower

*Bimini Top

*Teak swim platform

*Wedge prepped

*3 ballast tanks

*2 wakeboard racks

*hot/cold water shower

*built in table

*Open bow with center cushion

*Stereo, Satellite radio,CD,6 disc changer, ipod connection ,6 interior speakers, 4 tower speakers, 1 sub, dual batteries and 2 amps

*canvass boat cover

*coast guard approved life jackets, fire extinguisher incl.

*Pop up cleats (2 pair)

*Malibu windbreak

*Built-in cooler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO PERFECT PASS

NO WEDGE

I can tell from the pictures that the boat is very very clean, and in great condition. The stereo, is low end, but i can modify that to my own liking.

Help me out guys..... What is this boat worth in your honest opinion? (and is the '04 worth the extra 5k for the gorilla fins and more horsepower?)

I have been dealing on this '02 VLX for a week or so now.

Here are the details:

(Emailed from the owner)

2002 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 141 hours. Exterior Black and Gray minor scratches, never beached, Interior is in excellent condition. Fresh water only and always stored indoors.

*21' length

*Indmar 325hp engine

*Top of the line tandem axel trailer with disc brakes

*Swoop Tower

*Bimini Top

*Teak swim platform

*Wedge prepped

*3 ballast tanks

*2 wakeboard racks

*hot/cold water shower

*built in table

*Open bow with center cushion

*Stereo, Satellite radio,CD,6 disc changer, ipod connection ,6 interior speakers, 4 tower speakers, 1 sub, dual batteries and 2 amps

*canvass boat cover

*coast guard approved life jackets, fire extinguisher incl.

*Pop up cleats (2 pair)

*Malibu windbreak

*Built-in cooler

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO PERFECT PASS

NO WEDGE

I can tell from the pictures that the boat is very very clean, and in great condition. The stereo, is low end, but i can modify that to my own liking.

Help me out guys..... What is this boat worth in your honest opinion? (and is the '04 worth the extra 5k for the gorilla fins and more horsepower?)

What's he asking?

$30-35K i think would be reasonable.

If anything I would be looking past gorilla fins and more horsepower. In 2005 the VLX got it's makeover and became a 21 1/2 ft boat with under floor hard tank ballast. That would be the biggest perk for me, More storage. Go one more model year 2006 and now your looking at having a power wedge too.

Wish you the best finding a boat!

-Paul

The gorilla fins are worth spending some extra dough, not 5K, but they certainly are sweet. The upgraded HP from 325 is nice but not necessary, even with the monsoon. The wedge foil itself will run somewhere around $650-700, so factor that in. Giving we've been talking about '06 vlx's for ~40ish I'd say 30-33k tops for a pristine boat.

Kinda apples and oranges, but FYI

We got our 2003 Wakesetter 23LSV in Feb of 2008 for 38K from a private seller/but friend of local Bu dealer. Dealer actually told us about the boat being for sale.

It had 320 hrs, Indmar 425hp 8.1L, manual wedge, Perfectpass Wakeboard Pro, stock JBL stereo/sub, (4) tower speakers, titan tower, tower lights, 2 board racks, docking lights, pop up cleats, heater, heated seats, wind block, cover, bimini top, fiberglass platform, and older dual axel trailer. Only thing it didn't have was hot water shower.

Exterior all black, interior white/tan. Interior was in good shape. Was all buffed out, so we couldn't tell when we purchased it, but exterior around the bow rails had some oxidation.

We were told that the upgrade to the bigger engine was originally a 5K add when boat was new.

So I would agree with the others 30-33K is probably about right.

I've got something VERY simmilar.

BUT, with perfect pass star gazer GPS, WEDGE, illusion tower, and a ROCKIN wetsounds/alpine/JL/optima stereo.

Covered lift and garage kept.

PM me your email address and I'll be glad to send you info.

- Chad

This one has been for sale for quite a while and it's an 02.... it's gonna be a 9 year old boat next season. I'd think $25-27 (esp. given the asking price) is fair.

Agreed. You can buy low hour Vrides as new as '07 well down into the low 30's right now. Anything over $30k is too much by a comfortable mile IMO, especially given the time of year.

This one has been for sale for quite a while and it's an 02.... it's gonna be a 9 year old boat next season. I'd think $25-27 (esp. given the asking price) is fair.

Agreed. You can buy low hour Vrides as new as '07 well down into the low 30's right now. Anything over $30k is too much by a comfortable mile IMO, especially given the time of year.

Ditto. Was going to post the exact same thing.

Thanks for the advice guys. The guy has offered to sell the boat to me for 27k. Which I thought was fair considering the boat is in great shape and low hours. Fair?? :unsure:

and where in heck do you guys find out about these crazy deals on boats?!?!?

Thanks for the advice guys. The guy has offered to sell the boat to me for 27k. Which I thought was fair considering the boat is in great shape and low hours. Fair?? :unsure:

If you factor in spending $2500 for a wedge and perfect pass, this boat looks like a better deal.... http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1375414782.html

LOL... keep hunting... but not too hard because we are obviously in the same general vicinity!

You just need to look at any resource available. Start with all of the online resources: wakeworld.com, wakeboarder.com, onlyinboards.com, boattrader.com, usedboats.com, iboats.com & craigslist. And of course this site. Then check your local resources: any dealers in your area, local papers, & local online sites like craigslist. You'll start to see what values really are, versus what people are asking. This is the time of year to buy - between now & January.

Too bad you werent interested in a 2001 Wakesetter 23 LSV, my father in-law is selling his, we would have bought it but we just bought a left over 08 before he decided he was going to sell it. The boat is flawless, its mainly white, very very clean looking, teak swim platform, 325 engine i believe, right around 400 hrs on it, never had a problem besides replacing a steering cable this year. They bought it new always has been stored inside. I think he was asking 29K for it, does have 2 tower speakers, 6 speakers inside, manual wedge, midship ballast, cover, trailer. I am not sure where you are located but this boat is in kansas city, if your interested hit me up and i will send you a bunch of pictures.

mike

Too bad you werent interested in a 2001 Wakesetter 23 LSV, my father in-law is selling his, we would have bought it but we just bought a left over 08 before he decided he was going to sell it. The boat is flawless, its mainly white, very very clean looking, teak swim platform, 325 engine i believe, right around 400 hrs on it, never had a problem besides replacing a steering cable this year. They bought it new always has been stored inside. I think he was asking 29K for it, does have 2 tower speakers, 6 speakers inside, manual wedge, midship ballast, cover, trailer. I am not sure where you are located but this boat is in kansas city, if your interested hit me up and i will send you a bunch of pictures.

mike

Mike, I am interested. Can you send some pics to [email protected]

mike

Mike, I am interested. Can you send some pics to [email protected]

pics are on the way you should have them.

I have been looking at vrides for the last couple days now, and it seems to me you really get a lot more bang for your buck. I would definitely settle for an 07!!

27k for an 02 vlx seems a bit high to me now.

Anyone have an 07 vride for sale for 30k?!?! Rockon.gif

Since your post doesn't say where you are at, are you in Canada? That would account for some of the price diff. Saskatoon / Saskachewan?

if you are from Saskatoon, you had best factor in a $1,000.00 to SWS for the privilege of becoming one of their customers. (there is a whole other thread about that and if you are interested you can search it).

I have been looking at vrides for the last couple days now, and it seems to me you really get a lot more bang for your buck. I would definitely settle for an 07!!

27k for an 02 vlx seems a bit high to me now.

Anyone have an 07 vride for sale for 30k?!?! Rockon.gif

There are several in the same vicinity as the vlx you are looking at in the $32-36 range (asking). Never know what they might take in the next three or four weeks....

Since your post doesn't say where you are at, are you in Canada? That would account for some of the price diff. Saskatoon / Saskachewan?

if you are from Saskatoon, you had best factor in a $1,000.00 to SWS for the privilege of becoming one of their customers. (there is a whole other thread about that and if you are interested you can search it).

He/she goes by the name "Sask Rider" . More than likely from Saskatchewan Canada, I would guess either Saskatoon or Regina.

He/she goes by the name "Sask Rider" . More than likely from Saskatchewan Canada, I would guess either Saskatoon or Regina.

Hey everybody. I hail from Regina, Saskatchewan. The city that rhymes with fun.

I just heard last night about the $1000 SWS service work priviledge.... I couldnt believe it. If I end up needing service work that i cant do myself, I will take it somewhere else. I heard there is an online poll on this site about SWS?

Anyway, I look south of the border for boat deals because the prices are alot better and the selection is so much better.

Now as far as vrides go, does anyone know the major differences throughout the model years? Also, what is a fair price on these boats? Cuz they all seem the same to me.

The Vride was introduced in 2005 & for the model years '05-'08 were built on the '04 & earlier VLX hull. The hull changed in '09 to the '05-'08 VLX hull (wider, longer, taller boat). The original Vride ('05-'08) was a stripped down version of the previous VLX, but you can dress one up & make it almost a VLX. The differences between the model years are basically global differences between Malibu models from year to year (throttle by wire in '06, power wedge in '06, Malibu Cruise in '06, shift by wire in '07, cats in '07, etc etc). The only global change I can think of that you won't see on the Ride series is the MUX switches & Maliview in '08 & '09 respectively, those won't be available on a Vride at all.