Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help...picking a new WakeSurf Board

RiverRunner

I am having a hard time deciding on a new wakesurf board.

The Phase5 Oogle

Dimensions: 58" x 20 3/4" x 3/4"

Core: Divinycell Core

Glass: E-Glass/3-D Weave

Rider Size: under 250 pounds

for around $350 to my front door

Or

The Hyperlite Broadcast

Dimensions: 4'9" (57")

for $200 to my front door

Always best to demo if you can. . .

We went with the 5.0 Skimskate with a boat full of beginners ranging from 11yr 85 pounders to 40 somthings ~200 pounders and have been very happy.

A few facts I am a big guy six foot tall, I started with the 5' 6" Landlock and I am able to ride it consistently on most wakes. I have started to carve and pump the wake but, the Landlock is a slow cruiser and has its limitations. That is why I am looking for a smaller quicker board. I have tried the Liquid Force skim skate although it is fun, it is not really what I am looking for. I know some of you have the Oogle and some have the Broadcast but, has anyone ridden both and able to give me some feed back. The Oogle is a $150 difference in price, I am trying to decide if it is really worth it. Those of you that have an Oogle tell me about the ride and compare them to anything else you have ridden, vise versa for the Broadcast riders. Once I have made my decision and buy one I will write a review for everyone.

I'd be concerned that you could go ropeless on the 4-9 broadcast on anything but the biggest wakes... or if you can, you'll be working hard to hold it. I have a 4-9 and a 5-6 broadcast, and the 5-6 is much more versitle, and not as sluggish as the landlock. The 4-9 is a lot of fun, but I find that under most conditions I have a difficult time playing for long w/out the rope. I don't have any issues w/o the rope on the 5-6

I'd be concerned that you could go ropeless on the 4-9 broadcast on anything but the biggest wakes... or if you can, you'll be working hard to hold it.  I have a 4-9 and a 5-6 broadcast, and the 5-6 is much more versitle, and not as sluggish as the landlock.  The 4-9 is a lot of fun, but I find that under most conditions I have a difficult time playing for long w/out the rope.  I don't have any issues w/o the rope on the 5-6

Eeeeny Beany chili weenie the spirits are about to speak-

I see a 247LSV in Ken's future

I have the Oogle and love it. That could be because it's pretty much the only board I have ridden except for one time on a Landlock. I'll tell you this, it's a sports car. It's quick, manueverable and I did find that after spending some time on the Landlock, I struggled a bit on my Oogle. It's just not going to be as stable as a bigger board. UWSkier is a big guy and went ropeless his first time on a Oogle at the Midwest WOW. I am 190 lbs and have no problems going ropeless on stock ballast with four adults on board.

I'd be concerned that you could go ropeless on the 4-9 broadcast on anything but the biggest wakes... or if you can, you'll be working hard to hold it.  I have a 4-9 and a 5-6 broadcast, and the 5-6 is much more versitle, and not as sluggish as the landlock.  The 4-9 is a lot of fun, but I find that under most conditions I have a difficult time playing for long w/out the rope.  I don't have any issues w/o the rope on the 5-6

Like I said the landlock is a great cruiser and I plan to keep it. I also have a 17 year old son that is "forced to surf the big board" so I am trying to find something in the middle for both of us. Either board is only about eight inches shorter, I beleive the Phase 5 will weigh quite a bit less than the Broadcast and have a harder edge to it.

I have the Oogle and love it.  That could be because it's pretty much the only board I have ridden except for one time on a Landlock.  I'll tell you this, it's a sports car.  It's quick, manueverable and I did find that after spending some time on the Landlock, I struggled a bit on my Oogle.  It's just not going to be as stable as a bigger board.  UWSkier is a big guy and went ropeless his first time on a Oogle at the Midwest WOW.  I am 190 lbs and have no problems going ropeless on stock ballast with four adults on board.

What is the biggest guy you have had on your board ropeless? Where did you buy it?

I have the Oogle and love it.  That could be because it's pretty much the only board I have ridden except for one time on a Landlock.  I'll tell you this, it's a sports car.  It's quick, manueverable and I did find that after spending some time on the Landlock, I struggled a bit on my Oogle.  It's just not going to be as stable as a bigger board.  UWSkier is a big guy and went ropeless his first time on a Oogle at the Midwest WOW.  I am 190 lbs and have no problems going ropeless on stock ballast with four adults on board.

What is the biggest guy you have had on your board ropeless? Where did you buy it?

The biggest I have seen on an Oogle would probably be UWSkier. Just guessing (this is risky, but he's probably not too sensitive about his weight), but he's maybe 6'3" and 215 to 220?

I bought mine from our dealership.

go with the phase 5 oogle. you will love it. it is very lightweight and very quick. I am 5'10, 165# and this was my first year surfing. We learned from scratch without any help and it took a while, but now we get first time surfers ropeless on the first outing.

Now that we have experience, I switched to a smaller fin on the board and we all like the added freedom that gives you. My buddy weighs around 225 and uses the small fin no problem.

On the small fin, I can do a 360 and be standing at the end of the rotation, but have not been able to catch the wave to ride again (I end up too far back). I am going to add the phase 5 prop to the arsenal for next year.

Well worth the extra cash.

I'm 6' and 195. I've ridden the Landlock and found it sluggish. I own the Broadcast and love it.

Standard ballast and wedge I can go ropeless, but it's a lot of work. Add 800# to the locker and I can go ropeless all day.

Haven't tried any other smaller or more manueverable boards, but I want to...

I've tried the Butter Board, but it's a beginner board. Great, but a beginner board.

Yep I agree with Troy. I love the 4-9, because I can carve up and down the wake ropeless. I can also turn it 180 and ride it for a little bit, but this is with the rope. I go 5'11" 200. My friend lenny who is 265 6'3" can have slack in the line for 20 sec or so but he's more into crossing the wake, butter slides, and 180's. I also run a 700 sac in one locker with 2-6 people in the boat.

RiverRunner - My cousin is about 6'1" and about 250 lbs. He has been surfing my Oogle all summer. He has not been around water sports at all during his 38 years on this planet (never skied or boarded), so needless to say he does not have the feel like UWSkier has on the water (UWSkier is a freaking natural). It has taken a while for my cousin to get the feel, but he just went ropless for the first time last weekend for about 2 minutes. He's still getting the hang of it but absolutely loves wakesurfing. Heck, he even bought me the 750# Fly High that we put into the rear storage compartment (well...for a bigger wake for him).

I've only surfed the Oogle so I have nothing to compare it to, but saying that I still really like it alot. I'm on the small side (5'7" and 160) so I can easily surf all day long without a rope on the Oogle not matter how small the wake is. I'd really like to try one of the smaller Phase 5's next year to do some tricks.