Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Here's what a Malibu in saltwater looks like

Every once in awhile on this forum I come across someone seeking advice about possibly running their Bu on the ocean. I thought I would take some pictures of our boat and post them up here for people wondering just how a Malibu would do in saltwater. We are in the Pacific Northwest and I just pulled the boat yesterday to clean it up before it goes into storage.

The boat is an 07 VLX. The boat is launched in June and stays moored in the ocean until September (no boat lift) and this is the third season we have done this.

So far, I am really happy with how the boat has held up. Of course there are little things like a few little rust spots on the stainless steel malibu decals and peeling chrome on the speaker mounts and board rack mounts. We have submerged the bow 4 times since we bought the boat (not on purpose). I was worried that getting saltwater inside the boat would be really bad. So far just very light pitting in a few spots on the chrome dash and billet glove box door (only noticeable when you look closely). I suppose this could also be just from the salt in the air.

The new thing I noticed this year was that there are 9 bolts on the wedge that need to be replaced because they are not stainless steel. The power wedge worked fine all summer but the bolts will definately need to be replaced with stainless steel ones before next season.

So after three years I am happy to say that the boat is holding up. The things that are starting to show signs of corrosion are, to me, minor things that can be replaced like the speaker mounts and rack mounts. The tower is solid and still looks like new. We have a half loop system on the motor so I am wondering how long those exhaust manifolds and cats will last.

I apologize for my not so great pictures.

3918551580_00cbb86977_b.jpg

3918618450_27ebff6236_b.jpg

3918596370_f211ebca40_b.jpg

Have to say when I saw the title I was expecting to see some real damage, looks pretty good after that much time exposed to the saltwater. Looks like the power wedge rams are starting to see some corrosion that may cause a problem, but otherwise looks great :)

Yep, looks good all things considered. Might be time to replace the bolts on the sides of the Wedge with some stainless ones. Did they just overlook those?

Did you get the galvanized, painted trailer? I have a friend who bought a VTX saltwater boat in the Seattle area. Expensive trailer, but it seems to be holding up well.

Yep, looks good all things considered. Might be time to replace the bolts on the sides of the Wedge with some stainless ones. Did they just overlook those?

Did you get the galvanized, painted trailer? I have a friend who bought a VTX saltwater boat in the Seattle area. Expensive trailer, but it seems to be holding up well.

Good catch, I need to do the same on mine Whistling.gif

I am definately having the bolts replaced with stainless ones...not sure why they didn't use stainless ones in the first place. As for the trailer, it's a regular extreme trailer. Even though we only use the trailer twice a year and rinse it with a fire hose it is up for debate how long it will last but so far no problems and it still looks great.

So far this has been an adventure. Each year I expect the worst and so far have been pleasantly surprised. My dealer told me if I take care of the boat it would last for 25 years no matter if I run in the ocean. Maybe I should of asked for that in writing! Biggrin.gif

I am definately having the bolts replaced with stainless ones...not sure why they didn't use stainless ones in the first place. As for the trailer, it's a regular extreme trailer. Even though we only use the trailer twice a year and rinse it with a fire hose it is up for debate how long it will last but so far no problems and it still looks great.

So far this has been an adventure. Each year I expect the worst and so far have been pleasantly surprised. My dealer told me if I take care of the boat it would last for 25 years no matter if I run in the ocean. Maybe I should of asked for that in writing! Biggrin.gif

Just be careful of the potential galling issue with SS screws.

Just be careful of the potential galling issue with SS screws.

please expand on the galling issue...what exactly is that?

Make sure you use a brass nut on your stainless bolt. Don't use a stainless bolt with stainless nut combination.

The nickel in the stainless will seize the nut and bolt together. There are ways around this by installing anti-sieze or Krytox grease but, using a brass nut is the best solution.

Make sure you use a brass nut on your stainless bolt. Don't use a stainless bolt with stainless nut combination.

The nickel in the stainless will seize the nut and bolt together. There are ways around this by installing anti-sieze or Krytox grease but, using a brass nut is the best solution.

Thanks, I didn't know that!

Very cool. I run my Bu in salt water a couple times a year. It just takes TLC to keep it looking nice.

Though I will admit your is looking better than mine….or you take really good pics. Thumbup.gif

Zincs on both left and right brackets of the swim grid. One zinc on the rudder and one zinc on the shaft. I believe the dealer zinced the exhaust manifolds and heat exchanger. Otherwise the engine was doused with a product similar to boeshield t-9 that creates sort of like a greasey/oily barrier.