Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hit a deadhead, bent the prop, gouged the hull - now what?

Hit a BIG deadhead that was bobbing just below the surface today down on the Willamette River. Cry.gif

It was about 18" in diameter, and probably 20' long at least based on how it was floating after

we tied a little bouy to it.

I know the prop is bent - bad vibration above about 1300 rpm, and after we got it out of the water

( idled it about a mile back to the dock ), I could see two of the blades bent. The shocking thing I

found was the gouge in the hull just above the prop - almost looks like the prop did it, because

I can't imagine how the log could have done this. It's about 1" x 3" oval gouge right above the

prop, down into the fiberglass.

I guess we're fortunate the damage doesn't appear to be worse, but I don't know what might be

lurking in things that aren't easily seen.

So, what I want to know is what should I have looked at - prop shaft? Shaft packing? Shaft strut

bearings? Vdrive gears? Did I do more damage by idling it rather than flag someone down for a tow?

Thanks!

Call your insurance company and file a claim. Let them pay the mechanic to do all the troubleshooting and repairs. That’s what the insurance is for.

Agreed. Strut probably bent to side allowing prop damage to glass then sprung part way back.

It's a B.O.A.T. -- Break Out Another Thousand, although in your case it may be as much as $5K if you have bent all of the underwater gear. How are the tracking fins?

I agree with Skier92, insurance claim.

Just had the following work done after hitting something submerged:

Bent Strut - New strut

Bent prop blade - Reconditioned the prop

Bent Shaft - New shaft

Bent Rudder - New rudder

Bent tracking fin - New tracking fin (expensive part was the install)

Little bit of fiberglass damage

Of course messing with the shaft was all new packing for the shaft and rudder housing.

Total bill at Malibu dealer = $4,800

Bent Strut - New strut

Bent Shaft - New shaft

Bent Rudder - New rudder

Of course messing with the shaft was all new packing for the shaft and rudder housing.

How much downtime?

Hit a BIG deadhead that was bobbing just below the surface today down on the Willamette River. Cry.gif

It was about 18" in diameter, and probably 20' long at least based on how it was floating after

I know the prop is bent - bad vibration above about 1300 rpm, and after we got it out of the water

( idled it about a mile back to the dock ), I could see two of the blades bent. The shocking thing I

found was the gouge in the hull just above the prop - almost looks like the prop did it, because

I can't imagine how the log could have done this. It's about 1" x 3" oval gouge right above the

I guess we're fortunate the damage doesn't appear to be worse, but I don't know what might be

So, what I want to know is what should I have looked at - prop shaft? Shaft packing? Shaft strut

bearings? Vdrive gears? Did I do more damage by idling it rather than flag someone down for a tow?

Thanks!

I hit a submerged rock formation in Lake Powell earlier this summer @ 30 mph. It took out the tracking fins, prop, rudder, bent the shaft, and damaged the fiberglass. I had the same type of cut into the glass above the prop. Part of the prop blade broke off and cut into the fiberglass. I took the boat to a Malibu dealer and they fixed everything. Total cost was $9k because the fiberglass work was extensive. I'm sure glad I have insurance. Progressive took care of everything after my deductible.

Edited by Bryce

Sorry to hear about the damage, but hope it gets fixed quickly. I've hit my share of debris in the Willamette, but so far not one as big as it sounds like you found. It is something I think about, but what can you do but try to be careful. Some of those you just can't know that they are there until you find them.

Bent Strut - New strut

Bent Shaft - New shaft

Bent Rudder - New rudder

How much downtime?

From the time into the dealer, about a week and a half.

Thanks!

I hit a submerged rock formation in Lake Powell earlier this summer @ 30 mph. It took out the tracking fins, prop, rudder, bent the shaft, and damaged the fiberglass. I had the same type of cut into the glass above the prop. Part of the prop blade broke off and cut into the fiberglass. I took the boat to a Malibu dealer and they fixed everything. Total cost was $9k because the fiberglass work was extensive. I'm sure glad I have insurance. Progressive took care of everything after my deductible.

Did they raise your rates after paying out?