Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Props to the CFO!

srud

I wanted to share our ramp story from this past weekend.

Up until early August, I had been "doing it all" at the ramp. Backing in, unloading, backing the trailer in and driving on. I had tried to encourage my wife to learn to back the trailer, and while she did try we never really found/made the time to practice. Starting in late July (at the Midwest WOW), I told her to drop me off and I would get the trailer and she could drive the boat on. Reluctantly she agreed (it was a little breezy that day). Things went fine and we got the boat on the trailer after a couple of tries. That has been the norm up until Sunday. She would typically take two or three tries at the trailer.

This past Sunday she drops me off and I back in on the preferred side of the ramp while another guy (who is doing it all) backs in on the other side. The guy next to me decides that the drop off on his side was going to be too much to pull the boat and trailer over and decides to wait for us to move, so is sitting there in his vehicle watching. The ramp was not busy. So, while he is watching, Lisa drives the vRide onto the trailer like a pro. Laser straight and within a foot of the bow roller. I hook up the strap, winch it up tight and we're out of there in less than 3 minutes from when I started backing up. It's so cool when things come together! Yahoo.gif Team work at it's best.

A major change from our first outings where I put a 5 foot scratch on my new boat trying to do the same thing.

I can certainly relate to your experience. Often to the astonishment of onlookers, my CFO usually put's the boat on the trailer on the first attempt. I've even seen a guy or two get worked up at his CFO after watching my wife drive our boat on the trailer perfectly.

"I'd appreciate a little help!!" :)

I'm a little jealous! Up until our last couple times out I was the 'do it all' guy. I now have the better half bringing the boat to the trailer at the ramp. She has been pretty nervous about it, but getting better every time.

Congrats and hopefully I will have the same story to tell, soon.

Greg

Edited by Greg_S

I took my wife to an empty parking lot one day with the Bu hooked up. We practiced her backing up without any pressure. I got out of the car (safety first Biggrin.gif ) and stood outside just by her door and walked with her as she learned. We went VERY slowly and she got the hang of it in aobut 15 minutes. I am the envy of all the other guys when my CFO backs the trailer in and I drive the boat on :) .

Being familiar with my wife's street driving habits ( very heavy foot ) and the absence of brakes on a boat, early on I encouraged her to learn how to back the trailer. Best move I ever made! :)

congrats!! That sweet, I know its great when my gf Jen picks the truck up and drops the trailer right in. Then I'll drive the bu up, she'll hook up the and crank it up the rest of the way.

Ditto. Kim does a great job as well. Now, I just have to teach her how to drive the boat up on the trailer. Crazy.gif

Being familiar with my wife's street driving habits ( very heavy foot ) and the absence of brakes on a boat, early on I encouraged her to learn how to back the trailer. Best move I ever made!    :)

I got stuck doing it the opposite. We launch at a few places where there is no dock. Everytime we are done and it's time to put the Bu back on the tralier someone (90% ME) has to get wet Again and it is usually at 8:00pm so it is starting to get a little chilly. So that is her excuse for not learning how to back up a trailer but let me tell you she is a h%ll of alot better at loading the boat than i am. Perfect everytime on the first go.

Makes alot of the men trying to load their Bathtubs jealous! Tongue.gif

Being familiar with my wife's street driving habits ( very heavy foot ) and the absence of brakes on a boat, early on I encouraged her to learn how to back the trailer. Best move I ever made!    :)

Me too! Mrs Faceplant nearly FREAKED OUT when I left her and her friend in the boat and I dumped the trailer in a couple of years ago....

She has trailer duty now. ...still does not like it, but its better than boat duty. I told her that if she "just can't get the trailer in the water" or is going to damage ours or someone elses gear while backing, with the truck you can just ask for help and no doubt there would be several guys that would gladly help!

My wife backs the truck down and dumps the boat in the water and parks it and walks the ramp. I back the truck down on return and she pulls it on the trailer. She's also a real pro parking the boat on docks. I can't imagine how much harder life would be without her skills.

My wife's been putting the boat on the trailer for years. She says the best tip I gave her was that "neutral is your friend". (she got that tip right after the first time when I thought the boat was going to end up in the back of the Durango)

Since owning the Bu, have learned both to drive the boat off the trailer, drive the boat on the trailer and back the trailer down the ramp. We are lucky that we have a private ramp that isn't very busy and I can take my time. It still takes a couple of tries to get it down the ramp because we have trees and trailers lining both sides of the ramp and people always watching. It has taken 2 seasons to learn.

Now if I could only dock the boat........

I must learn........ I will learn one day???????

My wife is also better than I at putting the boat on the trailer. I like to do things slow and methodical, which usually translates to going good, going good, oh sh#$ in the trailer guides but to one side now I am a pinball until the boat settles.

My wife hauls A$$ and manages to get it on the trailer straight as an arrow.

Joe

I have not walked up the boat ramp all summer. When we got our Bu my wife said I'll back the trailer she did it the second try and has been doing it ever since, she said we are not going to tie the boat to the dock like we did last year with our I/O. she said that she would be embarrassed to tie the BU up to the dock. I do love the look on guys faces when they she my wife backing the trailer and thier wife is holding the boat to the dock.

I wanted to share our ramp story from this past weekend. 

Up until early August, I had been "doing it all" at the ramp.  Backing in, unloading, backing the trailer in and driving on.  I had tried to encourage my wife to learn to back the trailer, and while she did try we never really found/made the time to practice.  Starting in late July (at the Midwest WOW), I told her to drop me off and I would get the trailer and she could drive the boat on.  Reluctantly she agreed (it was a little breezy that day).  Things went fine and we got the boat on the trailer after a couple of tries.  That has been the norm up until Sunday.  She would typically take two or three tries at the trailer.

This past Sunday she drops me off and I back in on the preferred side of the ramp while another guy (who is doing it all) backs in on the other side.  The guy next to me decides that the drop off on his side was going to be too much to pull the boat and trailer over and decides to wait for us to move, so is sitting there in his vehicle watching.  The ramp was not busy.  So, while he is watching, Lisa drives the vRide onto the trailer like a pro.  Laser straight and within a foot of the bow roller.  I hook up the strap, winch it up tight and we're out of there in less than 3 minutes from when I started backing up.  It's so cool when things come together!  Yahoo.gif  Team work at it's best. 

A major change from our first outings where I put a 5 foot scratch on my new boat trying to do the same thing.

It's great when a plan comes together, isn't it? Yahoo.gif

My wife got it right for the first time this weekend. She was on the trailer straighter than I could ever hope to be. I'm hoping that this is the start of a trend.

Daniel.

My wife does not back the trailer at all but she is excellent at driving the boat right up on the trailer. She still gets nervous when the docks are crowded and the wallies are pulling in and out in front of her. I have never yelled at her and have always been positive. Now she is better at it than I am. I agree that the looks we get at the ramp from other boaters who are holding their boats to the dock are priceless.

Thats great Scott

I knew she'd have it down in no time, especially when her first run at Wissota was a great one. I remember her telling me that it was her first time after the Vride was loaded. I need to get up the courage and have Jocelyn try it, she's got the trailer backing down. :)

Edited by Henken