Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

You guys want to help a Calabria owner?

First off, I must say that this is the best site on the net for information on ski boats, good job! Unfortunatley I purchased a Calabria and finding a site anywhere close to this one for those boats is impossible. If its not to much trouble, I figured the questions I have are pretty generic and could be answered by Malibu owners too, I hope... I have a 2002 Cal Air Pro V, 23' with the Mercruiser MAG MPI Tow Sport engine, V-Drive.

1. I need a flush kit for general maintence, warm engine before oil change, run engine after impeller change and flush when/if I use in salt water. I live in Long Beach, CA so winterization process is not necessary. Fake a Lake or make my own in-line with raw water intake???

2. Impeller: The impeller is on its third season according to the records previous owner supplied (owner only used boat once last summer). I've used the boat 4 times since I purchased it, temp is steady at 160. I figure I will use 3 to 4 more times before it will set for extended periods. Should I put the impeller in now or wait till next spring. Would it be bad to put the impeller in now and let it set all winter???

3. Impeller install: I've searched this site and read 15 minutes to 2-3 hours to do the job. While laying in the ski locker for about an hour last weekend, I think I will be one of the 2-3 hour jobs. The pump is buried, removing the panels and storage covers looks to be a must. The pulley is on the front of the pump, so removing the pump from engine and replacing impeller on work bench appears to be the best way. Are any of you guys familiar with the motor I have to weigh in on this??

4. Prop Shaft: while under the boat I noticed that the shaft is off center when exiting the hull throuh the triangular brass pieces that is attached to hull. Shaft turns freely and doesnt appear to make any noise or rub the brass piece but it is real close to it. Shaft out of alignment or is this OK?

I can put some pics up to if that would help

I think thats it, you can haze me for not buying a Bu I have thick skin!! Thanks for all the help you can offer to this rookie boat owner...

Chris

First off, I must say that this is the best site on the net for information on ski boats, good job! Unfortunatley I purchased a Calabria and finding a site anywhere close to this one for those boats is impossible. If its not to much trouble, I figured the questions I have are pretty generic and could be answered by Malibu owners too, I hope... I have a 2002 Cal Air Pro V, 23' with the Mercruiser MAG MPI Tow Sport engine, V-Drive.

1. I need a flush kit for general maintence, warm engine before oil change, run engine after impeller change and flush when/if I use in salt water. I live in Long Beach, CA so winterization process is not necessary. Fake a Lake or make my own in-line with raw water intake???

2. Impeller: The impeller is on its third season according to the records previous owner supplied (owner only used boat once last summer). I've used the boat 4 times since I purchased it, temp is steady at 160. I figure I will use 3 to 4 more times before it will set for extended periods. Should I put the impeller in now or wait till next spring. Would it be bad to put the impeller in now and let it set all winter???

3. Impeller install: I've searched this site and read 15 minutes to 2-3 hours to do the job. While laying in the ski locker for about an hour last weekend, I think I will be one of the 2-3 hour jobs. The pump is buried, removing the panels and storage covers looks to be a must. The pulley is on the front of the pump, so removing the pump from engine and replacing impeller on work bench appears to be the best way. Are any of you guys familiar with the motor I have to weigh in on this??

4. Prop Shaft: while under the boat I noticed that the shaft is off center when exiting the hull throuh the triangular brass pieces that is attached to hull. Shaft turns freely and doesn't appear to make any noise or rub the brass piece but it is real close to it. Shaft out of alignment or is this OK?

I can put some pics up to if that would help

I think thats it, you can haze me for not buying a Bu I have thick skin!! Thanks for all the help you can offer to this rookie boat owner...

Chris

1) fake a lake works fine,your choice

2) mercruiser impellers last much longer but are harder to install, wait till spring and buy the impeller/housing kit.... its worth it.

4) if the prop and shaft run smooth w/o noise, and stuffing box doesn't leak too much, steering is good. = don't fix

5) any inboard is a good boat and a good decision, a malibu is a great boat/ decision. Good luck and happy boating

buy the impeller now and keep it in the boat as a spare until spring (that way if you toast your current one, it doesnt ruin your weekend)

They usually can go 300+ hrs. I'm not against keeping a spare but otw replacements are hard on merc's much less a V drive

buy the impeller now and keep it in the boat as a spare until spring (that way if you toast your current one, it doesnt ruin your weekend)

They usually can go 300+ hrs. I'm not against keeping a spare but otw replacements are hard on merc's much less a V drive

The spare is in the boat now, but after looking at what it takes to install, I better have some shade and beer to get it done...

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated.

As long as trust his records. I would go ahead and change the impeller. I held onto a spare for 2 years and was affraid it would dry rot before I could use it so I used it before that happened.

And welcome to the crew. Clap.gif

Edited by WakingMeHappy

As long as trust his records. I would go ahead and change the impeller. I held onto a spare for 2 years and was affraid it wiould dry rot before I could use it so I used it before that happened.

Here's a tip for the spare impeller,... spray it down with silicone or even better smear silicone grease on it and zip it up in a zip-lock bag.

As long as trust his records. I would go ahead and change the impeller. I held onto a spare for 2 years and was affraid it wiould dry rot before I could use it so I used it before that happened.

Here's a tip for the spare impeller,... spray it down with silicone or even better smear silicone grease on it and zip it up in a zip-lock bag.

Thanks for the tip! Good idea

The spare is in the boat now, but after looking at what it takes to install, I better have some shade and beer to get it done...

These are a must even if you're just checking your fluid levels!! Welcome to the crew, these people are a great resource, but don't just be a user, share your input if you can answer a questions, I have a couple of buddies that are just users and it chaps my arse!!!

These are a must even if you're just checking your fluid levels!! Welcome to the crew, these people are a great resource, but don't just be a user, share your input if you can answer a questions, I have a couple of buddies that are just users and it chaps my arse!!!

Thanks man, I will for sure add input when I can. I plan on taking pics of the impeller install and posting them up for others to see. Not much help resources on Calabria's out there, so if I can help someone else then its all good by me.

Nice thing about this site is you might get a little sh@t about your boat choice but it is usually all in good fun, but as you can see on your thread we usually like the people regardless of their boat choice and over time you will become a Malibu owner anyway, it's only a question of when.

• 1 month later...
Nice thing about this site is you might get a little sh@t about your boat choice but it is usually all in good fun, but as you can see on your thread we usually like the people regardless of their boat choice and over time you will become a Malibu owner anyway, it's only a question of when.

I must agree this a great site full of awesome people THANKS

• 10 years later...

Hi,

Does anyone have or knows where I can get the owners manual and wiring diagram?  my engine went into flames and need to re-do the wiring for the boat.  

Thank you,

Edited by Igor
4 hours ago, Igor said:

Hi,

Does anyone have or knows where I can get the owners manual and wiring diagram?  my engine went into flames and need to re-do the wiring for the boat.  

Thank you,

who did the marine conversion for the engine>