Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Labor Day Weekend Record Attempt

River Rat

Sunday night we all had some beverages and decided to try to break the lake record (which we had heard was 10) of how many skiers getting up behind a single boat. After lots of discussions and planning, we attempted 20 the next day. 20 ropes is a lot to manage!!

The boat was not able to pull that many up--just drag them across the cove. So we dropped the 6 ropes tied to the pylon and went with the 14 remaining. And we did it! One person fell shortly after getting up, so only 13 made it around to the dock--but it was a bunch of fun! We are already planning for next year (really want to do 20... and we need ideas!) Once people get up it is no sweat--but the boat just didn't have the low end pull to get many more out of the water. Thinking another prop...

Here is a link to the video!

Pretty amazing, All behind a Sunsetter LXI.

Prop is where you need to make your change, more torque will be all the difference you need to get all those skier out of the water.

-Paul

We tried 8 this summer with no planning. The boat ('07 Response, 340 hp) couldn't pull us all up. It got six though. Hopefully my new Wakesetter with 10 more hp and an extra prop blade will be able to do 8. (the significance of the 8 is it is all of my cousins and I)

You can get more up with the same prop. You had a dead straight pull on all your skiers but the way they used to do this with underpowered boats is to stagger the pull. Put 6 or so directly behind the boat and then stagger the others (the better skiers) out to the sides to where you may actually have a couple of skiers that are even with or slightly ahead of the boat when you hit it. That way you'll have some of them up and planing before you pull the last ones out of the hole.

way cool! we've got up 8 at one time but the BU was struggling. More can be done with a second boat by passing handles off to the skiiers on the other boat. 14 is pretty awesome great job !!!

We attached 4 to the handle in the middle of the transom on the back, and 2 on each eye hook on the transom. After 2 people quit, we removed them from the handle, so we had 2 on each.

Edited by con247

In my younger years I was a part of 8 behind a 16'fiberglass shell boat with an 85 HP Johnson. We alternated pulling in some slack and then letting it out when getting up to help the boat get up on plane. Lots of fun. If I could find enough skiiers and skis I would try a big bunch behind my boat but . . . I guess I need more friends.

Edited by Baddog