Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

malibu corvette

PBBWG

Hi,

We just purchased a 1997 malibu corvette with the 383 in it. We are an show ski team and are going to use it in our show.

My question is how many people or weight can we pull before we rip the pylon out?

And is this a reliable engine or is it going to be a nightmare? The engine hour meter says only 190 hours.

Thanks.

Hi,

We just purchased a 1997 malibu corvette with the 383 in it. We are an show ski team and are going to use it in our show.

My question is how many people or weight can we pull before we rip the pylon out?

And is this a reliable engine or is it going to be a nightmare? The engine hour meter says only 190 hours.

Thanks.

Wish you the best with the engine ... there have been some stories on them blowing up early.

I would be cautious on the number of skiers, but congrats on the boat. Its very unique.

If you have the stock stainless prop on there I would think about changing it out and using it as a paperweight, as there were issues with it. But with the power you have it will not be your run of the mill pitch. Perhaps others will post or I would call OJ or ACME to see what they would recommend for that kind of power so you don't over-rev it.

And look for a reputable shop to do your work. Cooter over at Jerry's marine will pop that engine cover open and propably have a heart attack, or not know the nature of that beast.

I've had no problems with mine, but I don't pull ski shows with it either. Go easy with it (they only made 125 of these), or, you can beat the snot out of it and mine with be worth more! Biggrin.gif

To answer your question, I've had 10 skiers behind my '87, and three footers (longline), and since the 'Vette has 25% more horsepower...

But seriously, your vette will definately be a crowd pleaser in a ski show; I just don't know how robust the Callaway will be in "severe duty" applications.

Edited by DWhynot

i have a 97 vette, and it has alot of strong running hours on it, footing at 40mph or just running wide open for show or go...

over reving has never been a problem, make sure your pylon is secure, it should pull easily 10 show skiers all day long

because the boat has a top end of 60, it doesnt need to run wide open to achieve 40mph

only issue has been a broken lifter spring once at 500 hours, and a rocker arm nut came off at 800 hrs...

have pulled 40 or so parasail runs behind it with 400' rope, but we used the back rope location for that, and it needed

to have a cloth wrapped around it so the rope didnt squeeze/cut itself in half at that location(happened once)

Hello Footer2, and welcome to the site!

So, you have over 800 hours on your Callaway, so it's good to hear it's holding up... I have around 250 hrs on mine, and so far, so good...

A black 'Vette? It must really look like the Bat Boat Batman.gif (must have been a special order, because to my knowledge, they were available in red, white or green in '97, and other colors were added in the following years with the LS1)

'YVette #78/125 Polo Green

It might be harder on the Vette than the Sportster due to the closed bow but when I tow more than (4) I have a 2" strap that I loop around the pylon up to the bow eye and than back to the pylon and ratchet tight. You might be able to come up with a solution that goes underneath the bow. Try to find a strap material that does not stretch when it gets wet. I bought mine from "Strap Works".

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif Hi guys I have a 2000 vett with the LS1in it and my windshield opens up for a strap. its red with tan int. 152of 250. only145hrs on it. the ls1 is a smoth running motor at 5600 rpm. gotta love it .
Thumbup.gifThumbup.gifThumbup.gif Hi guys I have a 2000 vett with the LS1in it and my windshield opens up for a strap. its red with tan int. 152of 250. only145hrs on it. the ls1 is a smoth running motor at 5600 rpm. gotta love it .

What's the strap for?

Hey Cap'n,

So that answers that question...They made 250 of the followon Vette with the LS1 and roundish "tail lights". I have the squareish "tailights" which are fully funtional when on the trailer through a custom made harness. They also work (tail lights only) when on the water, although I haven't flaunted them yet in front of Mr. Marine Patrol... Biggrin.gif

It might be harder on the Vette than the Sportster due to the closed bow but when I tow more than (4) I have a 2" strap that I loop around the pylon up to the bow eye and than back to the pylon and ratchet tight. You might be able to come up with a solution that goes underneath the bow. Try to find a strap material that does not stretch when it gets wet. I bought mine from "Strap Works".

What's the strap for?

What's the strap for?

What's the strap for?

I believe to relieve some of the tension of pulling back on the pylon, I think that's what they're referring to.

What's the strap for?

What's the strap for?

I believe to relieve some of the tension of pulling back on the pylon, I think that's what they're referring to.

But that Labor Day pull thread said they pulled what, 14 skiers off of the pylon and it is the strongest point to tow from. Anyone know how much pull it can take without the need for a strap?

Anyone know how much pull it can take without the need for a strap?

I think Mark already answered this question.

Even with that motor you would run out of horsies before the pylon would come out.
Hi,

Thanks.

Which show team are you with , we sponsor the Tampa Bay Water Ski Show Team I ve been running our boat since 2004 and pull 3 off the pylon and I have stainless clips bolted to the upper deck where a tower would normally be bolted in line with the pylon, I pull 3 off each clip , the clips also work well for back flyers, keeps both footers in the curl I am currently at 900hrs, only problems is occasional have to change prop due to the blades straightening under load.

I have a skylon pole which I put on for wrap , were currently pulling 6 around the boat, and Ive pulled 13 girl ballet line off the pylon.

yes it was special order, according to my salesperson, it was one of three black ones made in '97,,,,,it was 5k extra!!!!

So, you have over 800 hours on your Callaway, so it's good to hear it's holding up... I have around 250 hrs on mine, and so far, so good...

A black 'Vette? It must really look like the Bat Boat Batman.gif (must have been a special order, because to my knowledge, they were available in red, white or green in '97, and other colors were added in the following years with the LS1)

• 6 months later...

sorry for the delay in response, havent been on the site for a while...

yeah it was special order, only 3 black ones made in '97

it cost 5k extra to get it in black, but i didnt like the

other colors available and it makes it a little extra special.

made 'rig of the month in water ski mag in '98 with the black dodge

ram i pulled it with at that time.

got a black parasail with a gold chevy 'bowtie' symbol in the middle of

it. boat has gold logos and badging on it too.

martinarcher

What's the strap for?

But that Labor Day pull thread said they pulled what, 14 skiers off of the pylon and it is the strongest point to tow from. Anyone know how much pull it can take without the need for a strap?

You guys running a strap with the stock pylon or an extended one? We used to have an extended pylon that had a bow strap for structural support.....

post-7666-126971523397_thumb.jpg

Edited by martinarcher