Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carburators... are they THAT bad?

I did a search, didn't find what I'm looking for so thought I'd ask. I probably should already know this but what's the deal with carburetors? Are they bigger gas hogs and if so by how much, enough to feel in the wallet each season?

Are they less efficient (I guess that is related to the above issue-no?)

Are they LESS reliable than EFI? Requiring a lot of valuable lake time?

Sorry for the newbie questions... :blush: though I am a newbie and frankly didn't learn all that much about engines as a kid (we even had an electric lawn mower) so I missed that opportunity to begin to learn about combustion engines.

If you can point me to a good thread on the topic, I'd be happy to go read-up! Thumbup.gif

It's been beat to death on MBO. I like carbs, but, I'm close to sea level and seldom use my boats when it's below 65 degrees. I chose a 310 carby over the Monsoon, I like them so much.

Never had a carb problem. I'd prefer EFI just for the turn key starts. I won't miss working the throttle to start the boat when it's cold. Other than that... no probs.

Edited by M3Fan

Cry.gif Not again. Cry.gif

If you run out of gas with a carb....no big deal

If you run out of gas with EFI....good chance of burning an injector (or 2 or 8)

Bad gas causes a clogged fuel system?

Carb rebuild is an easy DIY project for anyone with minor mechanical experience.

Injector rebuild? $200 per injector

Carbies develop more torque at lower RPM's.

EFI is defintely lower maintenance but when maintenance does come up it ain't cheap. EFI is less finicky and doesn't require moving the throttle handle forward when starting cold (I have never really had that much trouble moving my throttle but YMMV).

EFI is a more advanced system but I like the simplicity of a carb.

if in a high humidity area (don't think ohio is, BICBW) i would prefer EFI. lived with carbs for 12 years in high humidity (North East on the ocean and West Palm Beach), constantly rebuilding the carb. 7+ years with EFI and so far, not a single issue (knocking on wood).

Edited by jgouveia3
Carbs ROCK!!!! Long live the Sportster!!!!

I would second that. I had a 99 310 Carby and it ran/started like a champ. the only time it would have issues is if you ran it dry. The pump would lose suction and you needed to pressurize the gas tank to push gas to the pump. But, that was not a carb issue.

Edited by martho

I agree! Carb is the way to go!! (since I have one) Crazy.gif

The only people that HATE carbs are the guys that spent all their kids' orthodonic and college money to buy a boat well over their budget that they couldn't afford to impress people who don't really understand what EFI even is!

If it comes with EFI, buy it

If it comes with a carb, buy it. Who gives a s***!

If you buy a boat based on this, then you are probably wound up too tight to enjoy boating anyway!

The only people that HATE carbs are the guys that spent all their kids' orthodonic and college money to buy a boat well over their budget that they couldn't afford to impress people who don't really understand what EFI even is!

Now that's not true....Some of the people that hate carbs feel that way because they don't know how to rebuild them. They feel intimidated but don't want to admit it so they praise EFI as the best invention since sliced bread. Crazy.gif:lol:

If you buy a boat based on this, then you are probably wound up too tight to enjoy boating anyway!

:lol: Don't candy coat it...what do you really think. :lol:

:)

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate everybody's patience with a newbie and all the information. I'm just tring to learn everything I can while "getting into" this new lifestyle... :lol: and this certainly beats the h3ll out of reinventing the wheel on my own. Cry.gif

I'm a BIG fan of asking and using an into existing knowledgebase, just another reason to love the internet!

Now that's not true....Some of the people that hate carbs feel that way because they don't know how to rebuild them.  They feel intimidated but don't want to admit it so they praise EFI as the best invention since sliced bread. Crazy.gif  :lol:

:lol: Don't candy coat it...what do you really think. :lol:

:)

not completely true. Although I don't HATE carbs, i will never buy a boat with one again, because of where I live (and I can rebuild a Holley with my eyes closed (ok, j/k))...

my carbed '99 sportster ran great. rebuilt the carb at about 500 hours (one of the idle circuits was mia). the only problem i saw was cold weather operation. but i do mean cold. we ski till the pond freezes. getting the sporty off the trailer was a 10 minute exercise in patience at 30°.