Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX Owners, I need advice

live2ski423

After hitting some unknown submerged object this weekend, re-propping (is that a word?) my VTX has become my #1 priority. I have yet to find a used 1235 or OJ475 that anyone wants to part with, so it looks like I will be buying new. I wish I would have taken advantage of the group buy while it was available!

We run all 4 factory ballast tanks full, wedge, an additional 550# in each locker plus 600# in the bow, and anywhere from 2-6 people on board. Another 537 is definitely not an option. I do, on occasion, still take a short slalom blast at about 32 - 34mph, ist thing in the morning, but believe me, it's short and sweet!

From all the posts I have read, I think I am leaning towards the OJ475. But before I take the $550 plunge, I thought I'd ask other VTX owners what they think. Who has which? Does anyone have experience with both?

Thanks for any and all input!

I am running the Acme 1235. The dealer installed it for me because the 537 was way to slow out of the hole. = no cost upgrade!!!

I don't run as much weight as you do. I only have the center and rear factory ballast plus 2 550's in the rear lockers.

If purchasing a new one I would go with the OJ, but I don't have any experience with it.

I am running the Acme 1235. The dealer installed it for me because the 537 was way to slow out of the hole. = no cost upgrade!!!

I don't run as much weight as you do. I only have the center and rear factory ballast plus 2 550's in the rear lockers.

If purchasing a new one I would go with the OJ, but I don't have any experience with it.

Man, if I only knew at the time!

Is there a reason you'd go with the OJ? Do you not like the 1235 for some reason? Also, I added the extra 600# up front because of extreme porpoising - are you having that issue? I am wondering if the prop will make any difference?

Thanks!

Is there a reason you'd go with the OJ? Do you not like the 1235 for some reason? Also, I added the extra 600# up front because of extreme porpoising - are you having that issue? I am wondering if the prop will make any difference?

Thanks!

Is there a reason you'd go with the OJ? From all the info I have read they are a little beefier..... also D-GOOSE recommended it to me. Thumbup.gif

Do you not like the 1235 for some reason? Absolutely love it..... more power for the hole shot and just a small loss in top end speed.

I added the extra 600# up front because of extreme porpoising - are you having that issue? Do you mean actual "porpoising" ? The boat diving the nose? I have not had that problem. I do have an issue with the speed control not being accurate enough. Too much speed change +1 to -1 mph is too much in my book.

Edited by cyoda44

Thanks!

Is there a reason you'd go with the OJ? From all the info I have read they are a little beefier..... also D-GOOSE recommended it to me. Thumbup.gif

Do you not like the 1235 for some reason? Absolutely love it..... more power for the hole shot and just a small loss in top end speed.

I added the extra 600# up front because of extreme porpoising - are you having that issue? Do you mean actual "porpoising" ? The boat diving the nose? I have not had that problem. I do have an issue with the speed control not being accurate enough. Too much speed change +1 to -1 mph is too much in my book.

not dipping the nose, but bouncing up and down up and down up and down at wakeboard speeds (23 - 26 mph). Putting the extra weight in the front kept it much more stable

We actually bounce around from a oj468 to the acme 1235. IMO the acme is a much smoother prop you cant feel it like the oj i took my 468 to phils prop service they cleaned all the square edges off of it made it more like a acme nice and smooth now. The 1235 worked awesome with 3800lbs of ballast but got a little sluggish now that were near 5000lbs.

The OJ 475 is a good prop for this boat. You don't loose much at all on the top end, and you will have no problem still skiiing. It was pretty much a coin toss between a 1235 and a 475 during last years GB for me and so I went with the 475. Took it off early this year after it developed the bends Whistling.gif

I think you will find either suitable.

Edited by MalibuTime

I cant say that i this season replaced my stock prop with the 1235 acme. I 100% considerably have noticed the out of the hole take off... I normally have 10-15 people in my boat with the ballast tanks filled and it for sure, hands down makes a difference. I dont have any advice on the OJ because i have never tried it. But i did my research and can say i am 100% happier with my Acme 1235 over the stock. The stock is a great back up prop. Whether you go oj or acme i can say you cant go wrong with the 1235...

I am off to Powell on Saturday! Living the dream baby.. living the dream.

• 2 weeks later...

As always, great advise from the crew. The 1235 is awesome! Top end empty dropped to 46 @ 5400 rpm - you know I had to test it out Thumbup.gif And no problem pulling a wakeboard up when loaded with 2950# of ballast + 7 people and wedge down. Very very very pleased with that prop! Thanks to all who put their .02 in!