Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Scarpa Plate/Acme 449 on Rlx

Tom Sawyer

Very windy and choppy today so take the results w/ a grain of salt...

Plate adjusted to 5/64, just me, the wife, small cooler, and full tank of gas. Speeds have been adjusted for .8 MPH current.

30MPH @ 3000 RPMs

39.6 MPH @ 4000 RPMs

WOT Headed North 46 MPH @ 4700 RPMs

WOT Headed South 45.4 MPH @ 4650 RPMs

Footer in tow w/ WOT

Headed North 43.7 @ 4600-4650 RPMs

Headed South 43.8 @ 4600-4650 RPMs

I notice hitting a much larger stern roller on my long line deeps with the new set up..most likely a result of the plate. I'm going to keep using this prop and keep my CVP 13 X 13 for a spare. Even if the CVP can pick me up another mile or 2 per hour, I wouldn't give up the smooth as butter thrust of the Acme.

Given results others have posted, I was surprised not to be able to get more rpms. It's been a long time since I checked the CVP, but if I remember correctly I was getting maybe a little better top end (no ssp) and spinning 4900 -5000.

Edit: Should have mentioned I have the Monsoon 325.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

Yeah..I was sure it would be more. Maybe I should have went w/ the 515.

Can't say enough good things about the plate. It instantly opened the door for 1 foot wake crossing and my back deeps are WAY more consistent. It's nice to actually have a table to ski on when the water is a little choppy like today.

I think my next boat will have the plate.

How is the RLXi compared to the RLX for footing?

Never footed behind the Rlxi w/ the plate so not apples and apples.

Without the plate they are very similar. Rxli /plate and 383 will be the best footn boat from here on out.

Edit: Best Malibu footn boat anyway

Edited by Tom Sawyer

As far as the wake go on a RLXI with the plate it is good. The only problem is speed if you don't have the 400Hp hammerhead. That is why I'm looking to sell my boat. If I have more than 2 people I have a hard time getting 45 mph. Which stinks cause I love my boat.

I have also thought about putting on the new manifolds to create more power. But I don't know if that would even give me enough. What I really need is a slalom skier that wants a lot of power to pull.

Shocking.gif

As far as the wake go on a RLXI with the plate it is good.  The only problem is speed if you don't have the 400Hp hammerhead.  That is why I'm looking to sell my boat.  If I have more than 2 people I have a hard time getting 45 mph.  Which stinks cause I love my boat.

Which prop are you running? Galaxy swapped for a 13x13 and it evidently gave him some more on the top end

It was Galaxytoad's results and correspondence with acme the convinced me to go with the 449. Given my results with the 449, I'm glad I didn't try going with toad's prop (the 425). I don't think my monsoon 325 would have the torque to spin it.

I'd like to try a 515 on my boat to say for sure, but my bet is I'd lose a mile or two per hour on top end from the 449.

• 7 months later...

Actually I'll bet you might gain a mph. I'd like to see at least 4950 rpm, and 5100 won't be bad. Limiter on that engine should be 5250.

Peter